The Student Room Group

PGCE Applicants 2017

Just starting a thread to find other people thinking of applying to PGCEs for 2017 entry.

I'll be applying for Mandarin and French at the University of Sheffield :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by super_kawaii
Just starting a thread to find other people thinking of applying to PGCEs for 2017 entry.

I'll be applying for Mandarin and French at the University of Sheffield :smile:

Hey! I'm planning on applying for biology, not sure where yet:s-smilie:
Reply 2
I'm applying for Secondary French & Spanish PGCE at Manchester :smile: Do we know what the success rate is? And why is the application so long and difficult looking haha :smile:
Original post by Bellarrr
I'm applying for Secondary French & Spanish PGCE at Manchester :smile: Do we know what the success rate is? And why is the application so long and difficult looking haha :smile:

I'm not sure what the success rate-I didn't get in for 2016 entry, but I've been talking to Sheffield and we've managed to get a game plan sorted. Just have to get through the interviews and QTS tests.

Doing my application this year should be quite easy for me :smile:
Hi! I'm hoping to apply for an early years pgce or schools direct. Not exactly sure where but most properly in London.
Hi I am a Mature student, applying for secondary Maths , not sure where though
Hello everyone, I'm thinking of applying to study to become an English FE teacher for the Sep 2017 round. I was wondering if you need classroom experience beforehand like with primary/secondary, and which qualification re. PGCE etc would be the best to apply for for FE?
there's so much information out there which is quite overwhelming, so I just wanted some advice from others who have gone through/are going through the same process!
Hi,

I'm going to be applying for a secondary PGCE in Geography.
Are there any other trainee geography teachers to be out there?
And does anyone else find the choice between 11-16, 11-16 with enhancement and 11-18 confusing, as I've found the age ranges vary across universities.
There's a 2017/2018 facebook group for all trainees. Might be worth joining to meet people on your course/subject
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by harriet95
Hello everyone, I'm thinking of applying to study to become an English FE teacher for the Sep 2017 round. I was wondering if you need classroom experience beforehand like with primary/secondary, and which qualification re. PGCE etc would be the best to apply for for FE?
there's so much information out there which is quite overwhelming, so I just wanted some advice from others who have gone through/are going through the same process!

If you want to do FE, if say get some experience at secondary level, so you're at least somewhat familiar with the qualifications on offer at an FE college
Original post by Findlay6
The 2016/2017 students have a Facebook group, might be an idea to start one to share resources etc. Feel free to add yourselves to this cohorts group (in sig).

I'm already part of that group-was originally applying for 2016 entry but had a change of plan*
Can you post the link of the Facebook page
Original post by Findlay6
The 2016/2017 students have a Facebook group, might be an idea to start one to share resources etc. Feel free to add yourselves to this cohorts group (in sig).
Original post by mariatrivota
Can you post the link of the Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TeacherTraining1617/ Here's the link to the group :smile:
I got a reply from Sheffield Uni that I need to write an IELTS exam again, as my IELTS is not valid for more than 2 years. I don't understand why I am required to write an IELTS with a 2:1 UK Masters' degree?!!! IT doesn't make sense.
Thank you superkawaii.:smile:
Original post by super_kawaii
I am currently writing my personal statement for primary teaching 2017, and I am just about to start my final year of a Ba Hons Early Years degree. So I have lots of experience with children in education! But one thing I need to include within my personal statement is why I would prefer to choose pathway 2 of my SCITT, which enables me to teach year 1 and above... Instead of wanting to teach solely reception and ks1.. To be honest I prefer working with older children, because I feel I can connect with them more and It challenges me more.. Also I would prefer the challenges of the national curriculum instead of the EYFS.. But I need to try and write that without coming across negative! What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm hoping to apply for Biology somewhere in London or the south east (Canterbury or Kings College are my favourites at the moment) :h:.

I'm having trouble getting school experience though because all my local schools are saying no or not replying to me. Do any of you have any advice? I've only just started thinking about teaching so the only previous experience I have is working at an infants school for a week while I was in school, helping at my universities open days and helping on A Level results day last week. Canterbury says they want a week of experience in a secondary school before they'll look at your application and then they want another week before you start so I really need to find something! :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Original post by flopullon
I am currently writing my personal statement for primary teaching 2017, and I am just about to start my final year of a Ba Hons Early Years degree. So I have lots of experience with children in education! But one thing I need to include within my personal statement is why I would prefer to choose pathway 2 of my SCITT, which enables me to teach year 1 and above... Instead of wanting to teach solely reception and ks1.. To be honest I prefer working with older children, because I feel I can connect with them more and It challenges me more.. Also I would prefer the challenges of the national curriculum instead of the EYFS.. But I need to try and write that without coming across negative! What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am in a similar position to you - starting my final year of a BA Hons Early Years Practice degree next month but have done a complete u-turn after working in UKS2 for the past 18 months, I really prefer working with the older children now! I am going to be applying for School Direct and I am also struggling to explain in my personal statement why I have changed my mind. I think I'm going to go along the lines of I chose my degree based on my job role at the time (I was a TA in early years) but now due to wider experiences I feel as if I would be better suited to working in KS2. Think I'm also going to try and somehow say how a lot of what I have learnt from my degree such as differentiation and working with parents etc can also be applied to working with the older children. Let me know if you find out anything else or maybe we could share some ideas! :smile:
Hi everyone! Applying to KCL, UCL and Oxford for an English PGCE :-)

Really nervous about my lack of work experience though! I've only really just decided on teaching :frown:
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Hi everyone! Applying to KCL, UCL and Oxford for an English PGCE :-)

Really nervous about my lack of work experience though! I've only really just decided on teaching :frown:

I'm exactly the same! I'm glad I'm not the only one. Have you had a look at the School Experience Program? I sent them an email today and they told me all I need to do is register with the GetIntoTeaching website and then in September let them know I'm interested (email or call them) and they'll give me log in details for the school experience program website. I'm just hoping I have enough time to do the experience while finishing my degree :s-smilie:
Original post by Firefly13
I'm exactly the same! I'm glad I'm not the only one. Have you had a look at the School Experience Program? I sent them an email today and they told me all I need to do is register with the GetIntoTeaching website and then in September let them know I'm interested (email or call them) and they'll give me log in details for the school experience program website. I'm just hoping I have enough time to do the experience while finishing my degree :s-smilie:

I'll definitely look into that, thank you!

What level are you hoping to teach?

Quick Reply

Latest