The Student Room Group

Kyrgyzstan president: 'Women in mini skirts don't become suicide bombers'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by KingBradly
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-36846249

I know very little about him or even his country, but I think I like this guy. Or at least, he ain't wrong in this instance. Brave thing to say when his country is 80% Muslim. Apparently the government also uses posters to discourage the trend of women wearing increasingly oppressive clothing. I can certainly see why they don't want their country to end up like this:

Also, for some other good news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-37066304

Maybe there is hope after all.

Agreed
Reply 21
Original post by jake4198
I don't like Islam by any stretch of the imagination, especially regarding its treatment of women.

However, there are some Muslim majority countries out there where you'd be surprised at how tolerant and progressive they are given their demographics.

Here's some examples of the secular countries with a Muslim majority:

- Azerbaijan.
- Kyrgyzstan.
- Uzbekistan.
- Kazakhstan.
- Turkmenistan.
- Turkey.
- Tunisia.
- Kosovo.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Albania.
- United Arab Emirates.
- Bangladesh.

Other countries which aren't secular, but recognise religious freedom and don't call themselves an Islamic State:

- Malaysia.
- Indonesia.
- Lebanon.

Countries which are Islamic States, but are beginning to become more progressive:

- Iran.
- Algeria.
- Morocco.
- Algeria.
- Egypt.
- Pakistan.

This leaves:

- Saudi Arabia.
- Yemen.
- Oman.
- Sudan.
- Somalia.
(and other countries on the African continent)

UAE secular?
Original post by IYGB
UAE secular?

its not secular, but it is safe in a western sense.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The top photo was just before the Soviet-inspired overthrow of the Afghan government and before Pakistani intervention started arming the tribal groups that eventually became the Taliban. Interesting to see a glimpse of what it was like before all the blood-letting and destruction.

Let us not forget that this was a Pakistani government under Zia ul-Haq, which was merely acting as a pawn of American foreign policy.

- Indonesia.

Indonesia is founded on the principles of Pancasila which states Ketuhanan Yang Maha Esa, which means belief in one God, or state sanctioned monotheism. Although the Indonesian constitution permits belief in any religion, as long as it is one of the six permitted religions; Christianity, Catholicism (treated as a separate religion), Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and Confucianism. So to what extent freedom of religion exists, it is debatable.
Original post by The Epicurean
Let us not forget that this was a Pakistani government under Zia ul-Haq, which was merely acting as a pawn of American foreign policy.

Indonesia is founded on the principles of Pancasila which states Ketuhanan Yang Maha Esa, which means belief in one God, or state sanctioned monotheism. Although the Indonesian constitution permits belief in any religion, as long as it is one of the six permitted religions; Christianity, Catholicism (treated as a separate religion), Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and Confucianism. So to what extent freedom of religion exists, it is debatable.

Well said!
Original post by gazebo99
its not secular, but it is safe in a western sense.

Unless of course you happen to be gay.I wonder what would happen to you then
Original post by Robby2312
Unless of course you happen to be gay.I wonder what would happen to you then

Yeah. But hey, their country, their rules.
Reply 27

Countries which are Islamic States, but are beginning to become more progressive:

- Iran.
- Algeria.
- Morocco.
- Algeria.
- Egypt.
- Pakistan

:lol:
"If you do not like Kyrgyzstan you can leave our country and go wherever you want. We can pay your travel expenses, even to Syria,"

Atambayev for PM
Reply 29
I don't like Islam by any stretch of the imagination, especially regarding its treatment of women.

However, there are some Muslim majority countries out there where you'd be surprised at how tolerant and progressive they are given their demographics.

Here's some examples of the secular countries with a Muslim majority:

- Azerbaijan.
- Kyrgyzstan.
- Uzbekistan.
- Kazakhstan.
- Turkmenistan.
- Turkey.
- Tunisia.
- Kosovo.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Albania.
- United Arab Emirates.
- Bangladesh.

Other countries which aren't secular, but recognise religious freedom and don't call themselves an Islamic State:

- Malaysia.
- Indonesia.
- Lebanon.

- Iran.
- Algeria.
- Morocco.
- Algeria.
- Egypt.
- Pakistan.

This leaves:

- Saudi Arabia.
- Yemen.
- Oman.
- Sudan.
- Somalia.
(and other countries on the African continent)

I've been to Bosnia. Fantastic country, if very troubled.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending