The Student Room Group

AQA english literature coursework

im currently studying english literature with the AQA board, and need to pick two texts to read and compare. im thinking of doing lolita and writing about themes of women, innocence and male fantasy, and am in need of advice for a text to compare it with?
Original post by eemmaaxlouise
im currently studying english literature with the AQA board, and need to pick two texts to read and compare. im thinking of doing lolita and writing about themes of women, innocence and male fantasy, and am in need of advice for a text to compare it with?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1892313
this might be helpful for u...i also do eng lit aqa a-level (BB) but for my coursework we only had to pick one book to base our critical view on off not 2...one of my friends did do lolita though....u could pick either a book with a more positive connotation of women and a more respectful man to contrast or u could purposefully pick a similar txt in regard to having a focus on darker themes such as paedaphillia...sorry i cant help more...good luck
Reply 2
Does it need to be pre-1900? If not, The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides could be a really interesting comparison. Otherwise, perhaps Dracula by Bram Stoker or The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte. You may also be interested in the 'fallen woman' trope that was very common in nineteenth-century literature - Elizabeth Gaskell's writing features this pretty heavily.

Afterthought: if you're interested in an earlier time period, you could perhaps consider the treatment of Ophelia in Hamlet?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by oswalds
Does it need to be pre-1900? If not, The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides could be a really interesting comparison. Otherwise, perhaps Dracula by Bram Stoker or The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte. You may also be interested in the 'fallen woman' trope that was very common in nineteenth-century literature - Elizabeth Gaskell's writing features this pretty heavily.

i did tenant of wildfell hall for mineeeeee--------------------- (spoiler ) it definitley does offer a good perspective in the sense that it was one of the earliest feminist novels, she tlaks about radical ideas at the time such as disobeying ones husband and breaking matrimonal laws at the time , which meant that it was illegal to leave your husband, which is what the female lead did , moreover the format is very interesting , its written in an epistolary format.. the main guy lead, who eventually becomes the main female leads husband, writes a series of autobiographical letters...which later include the female leads dairy---so both their first person perspectives are in it...................sorry....just went off on a tangent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending