The Student Room Group

Has anyone used 'Year In Industry' to get themselves a placement whilst at uni?

Im currently studying Chem Eng at university and I have just finished my first year. I am going into second year, so need to start looking for placements to apply for to undertake in 2017 summer.

Just wondering If anyone has used 'Year In Industry' In order to help them find a university placement. Just wondering If it is worth it, or will I be able to personally apply to all the placements they would offer me through my own research/university.
The placement office at your uni will send you suitable placements to apply for. The year in industry is typically assessed so they have to make sure placements are suitable.
Reply 2
Hi there, I'm also a Chem Eng student (just finished my 3rd year) and I'm currently undergoing a year in industry. When I was applying for placements during my 2nd and 3rd year I was doing so personally, through the university careers service, and through YINI.

In my experience, I found that a lot of the placements offered by YINI were mainly mechanical, electrical, or civil engineering roles. Most of them were also up north (Liverpool, Scotland etc.) and low paying, which was not what I was looking for. So YINI placements were sort of like the last resort for me in case I didn't find anything at the end of my 3rd year (luckily I did :tongue:).

Finding a year in industry can be very difficult and time-consuming (2nd year is crucial so you don't want to be distracted too much), so personally I would do both to increase the likelihood of finding a placement. YINI is a free service after all, so what have you got to lose?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by tjena
Hi there, I'm also a Chem Eng student (just finished my 3rd year) and I'm currently undergoing a year in industry. When I was applying for placements during my 2nd and 3rd year I was doing so personally, through the university careers service, and through YINI.

In my experience, I found that a lot of the placements offered by YINI were mainly mechanical, electrical, or civil engineering roles. Most of them were also up north (Liverpool, Scotland etc.) and low paying, which was not what I was looking for. So YINI placements were sort of like the last resort for me in case I didn't find anything at the end of my 3rd year (luckily I did :tongue:).

Finding a year in industry can be very difficult and time-consuming (2nd year is crucial so you don't want to be distracted too much), so personally I would do both to increase the likelihood of finding a placement. YINI is a free service after all, so what have you got to lose?

Thanks alot appreciate the help!
Original post by alleycat393
The placement office at your uni will send you suitable placements to apply for. The year in industry is typically assessed so they have to make sure placements are suitable.

This will depend on how supportive your department are on finding their students placements. Mine had little to no input in it, if that's the case I would really recommend using an agency such as YINI etc.
Original post by ChemEngGrad
This will depend on how supportive your department are on finding their students placements. Mine had little to no input in it, if that's the case I would really recommend using an agency such as YINI etc.

I think you need to quote the OP rather than me. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest