The Student Room Group

urgent help w shortlisting

hi! i’m an international student and plan to study business management in the uk this year. please help me with picking a university. i applied to ALOTTT of unis since i wanted to keep my options open (i applied thru ucas and directly)
brunel/kingston/keele/kent/westminster/surrey/greenwich/portsmouth/sheffield hallam/heartfordshire/demontford
i’m thinking of going to surrey if i get in but i couldn’t apply for placement year unfortunately..
Reply 1
Hello, fellow international student!

Not sure if this is a good answer but I think you’re better off making the choice for yourself because the internet is a place where people have different opinions and it can be as biased and misleading as it is helpful. I am also an international student going to Uni in UK this year and I’ve been through a tumultuous period trying to make a choice.

Personally, I’d ask myself these questions while trying to pick a University:
1. Which Uni has the best module of my choice?
2. What are the rankings like? (If it is highly important to you or in the industry you plan to work in)
3. Is it affordable? (Fees, living expenses)
4. Living experience in the area (some areas are more student friendly than others, I was told)
5. Campus facilities
6. Support offered to students

Some general advice:
Of all the information I’ve consumed off the internet, the best piece of info I’ve kept in mind is that University depends a lot on the individual. A lot of them pick schools based on rankings, etc but it’s really down to whether that place is good for you. Depending on your reasons for studying, which may be for quality higher education (in which case you may pick higher ranked, reputable Unis) or for a study abroad experience (in which case Uni rankings are not dealbreakers). Think about it for a bit and decide on your personal best choice. There’s a lot of conflicting info online and from the UK folks themselves, so I’d recommend doing more research for yourself while you take those other bits of info with a grain of salt.

I wish you good luck! :smile:
Original post by Ananya22
Hello, fellow international student!

Not sure if this is a good answer but I think you’re better off making the choice for yourself because the internet is a place where people have different opinions and it can be as biased and misleading as it is helpful. I am also an international student going to Uni in UK this year and I’ve been through a tumultuous period trying to make a choice.

Personally, I’d ask myself these questions while trying to pick a University:
1. Which Uni has the best module of my choice?
2. What are the rankings like? (If it is highly important to you or in the industry you plan to work in)
3. Is it affordable? (Fees, living expenses)
4. Living experience in the area (some areas are more student friendly than others, I was told)
5. Campus facilities
6. Support offered to students

Some general advice:
Of all the information I’ve consumed off the internet, the best piece of info I’ve kept in mind is that University depends a lot on the individual. A lot of them pick schools based on rankings, etc but it’s really down to whether that place is good for you. Depending on your reasons for studying, which may be for quality higher education (in which case you may pick higher ranked, reputable Unis) or for a study abroad experience (in which case Uni rankings are not dealbreakers). Think about it for a bit and decide on your personal best choice. There’s a lot of conflicting info online and from the UK folks themselves, so I’d recommend doing more research for yourself while you take those other bits of info with a grain of salt.

I wish you good luck! :smile:

aww tysm for writing all this !! it helped 🤍also one question tho, would u recommend taking a placement year??
Reply 3
Original post by h4shyy
aww tysm for writing all this !! it helped 🤍also one question tho, would u recommend taking a placement year??

You’re welcome! :smile:
I don’t know enough to have an opinion about this, but here’s what I think— if you’ve never worked before and want to explore your line of work, a placement year might be worth it. You get mentored and you get to earn while you study, which is a bonus. As an international student, this experience might be even more beneficial to you. On the flip side, there’s the issue of workload and possibly other disadvantages. It might be helpful to speak with someone who has done your course, I’m sure they’ll have a much better insight than a media student like me hahah. I did my undergraduate studies in my home country and right after I graduated, I was so lost. Despite the two short internships, I honestly didn’t know what I wanted to do because I had no real world experience or exposure. Given the option of a placement year, I’d have taken that. I’d say it’s better to speak with someone who knows the subject and understands how useful or probably unnecessary taking a placement year is.
Original post by h4shyy

Yes - work experience will add a lot to your graduate CV. If you can't find a course with a placement, try for internships in the summer holidays.
Reply 5
Original post by h4shyy

Yes - do a placement it will help with getting a job.

I'd go for Kent or Keele depending on what you think of the courses and which have placement options.
Original post by Muttley79
Yes - do a placement it will help with getting a job.

I'd go for Kent or Keele depending on what you think of the courses and which have placement options.

oh okay tysm! just out of curiosity why would u pick kent or keele? is it good for business management?
tysm for replying!
Reply 8
Original post by h4shyy
oh okay tysm! just out of curiosity why would u pick kent or keele? is it good for business management?

they are the best unis out of those in your list and good places to live as well.
Original post by Muttley79
they are the best unis out of those in your list and good places to live as well.

fair enough tysm for replying !!
Hi there!

I'm happy to hear Surrey is one of your options :smile:

Is there a reason why you didn't apply for your course with a placement year? It shouldn't be an issue for you to swap to a placement year after your course has started - the university actually makes it quite clear that it's an extremely easy process. I applied for my course without a placement year and the university has put us all at ease right from the start about the process of swapping. This shouldn't be a factor that puts you off joining :wink:

Hope this helps!

Marko
BSc Accounting and Finance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending