The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry 2016/17

Is anyone doing Advanced Higher Chemistry this year? I started the course today with the inorganic unit, but I'll be doing both the organic and inorganic units simultaneously as it's taught by two teachers in my school. Hopefully this thread will give us somewhere to ask each other questions and discuss the course, project, prelims and exam.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am - though i have no idea what to do as my project. Maybe iron tablets or aspirin, though i do hear aspirin is very hard to do :s-smilie:
Original post by MF12345
I am - though i have no idea what to do as my project. Maybe iron tablets or aspirin, though i do hear aspirin is very hard to do :s-smilie:
I have no idea either, but the teachers said they would show us some example topics to give us some ideas, so we know what kind of things make good projects.
Subbed the thread, did AH last year so will help if I can :smile:
AH Chem student. Whoah, I took chem all the way to S6! That's a lot of time wasted!
Original post by Zain-A
Subbed the thread, did AH last year so will help if I can :smile:

That's really kind of you to offer to help :smile:

Original post by .....Jeff458
AH Chem student. Whoah, I took chem all the way to S6! That's a lot of time wasted!

How are you finding the course so far?
Reply 6
I'm in the exact same boat! I know that one of my teachers said that the 'milk project' always gets good marks but I know someone else who is thinking of doing this. How annoying is it that everyone has to do something different? I'm going to fight for vitamin C as I did that last year but honestly don't know what else I could do... If anyone could provide like a list of topics it would be widely appreciated. :biggrin:
Original post by Labrador99
That's really kind of you to offer to help :smile:

How are you finding the course so far?

We have just been doing errors and an experiment for a write up.

Got given a list of about 50 topics ish for project so will pick one out of there. How's about you?

Btw, heard you wanted to do vet med! Great choice!!! How'd your highers end up going?
Original post by .....Jeff458
We have just been doing errors and an experiment for a write up.Got given a list of about 50 topics ish for project so will pick one out of there. How's about you?Btw, heard you wanted to do vet med! Great choice!!! How'd your highers end up going?
I have no idea about project topics- my teachers just want to blast through the course and then worry about projects after prelims. That's good that you got a list to give you ideas- hopefully I'll get something similar, although I've been looking online for some ideas. I'm pretty chuffed with my results (6As)- I really thought I had messed a couple of them up, especially English! Hope you are happy with your results too? What do you want to do when you leave school?
Reply 9
Never in a million years did I think I'd be taking chemistry at AH, I'm shocked at myself!
What you guys thinking for projects? I am thinking of synthesis of paracetamol.

Aiming for an A at AH Chem but dunno how likely it is that I will get it as the start seems pretty difficult so far and it's only darn calculations :'(
Original post by .......Jeff458

Aiming for an A at AH Chem but dunno how likely it is that I will get it as the start seems pretty difficult so far and it's only darn calculations :'(

This isn't a bad project, however it can be tricky to actually synthesize the pure samples, my pal did this and had a very tricky time with it. Aspirin is also a good one to consider if you want to keep it pharmaceutical.

Do take a look at other options though, tons of fun stuff out there. I would highly recommend doing something comparing different methods to detect iron ion conc in a solution, I did this and used a chemiluminescence method which was very fun
Original post by Zain-A
This isn't a bad project, however it can be tricky to actually synthesize the pure samples, my pal did this and had a very tricky time with it. Aspirin is also a good one to consider if you want to keep it pharmaceutical.

Do take a look at other options though, tons of fun stuff out there. I would highly recommend doing something comparing different methods to detect iron ion conc in a solution, I did this and used a chemiluminescence method which was very fun

Slightly off topic but didn't you get into Aberdeen Med school?

If so congrats because I want to apply there and the UKCAT is the one hurdle I have rn and it's soooo annoying :'(

Any tips and do you remember your score?
Reply 13

Sounds good, quite a traditional one and you can get lots of help with calculations from textbook examples/Internet.

Ps.
Please don't write 10k word essay, no ones gonna read it. Just stick with 2-3k.
Slightly off topic but didn't you get into Aberdeen Med school?

If so congrats because I want to apply there and the UKCAT is the one hurdle I have rn and it's soooo annoying :'(

Any tips and do you remember your score?

Yes I did, my score was 2550 but it doesn't relate to you at all because I think the UKCAT took out DA for you guys, so you have one less section.
Original post by Zain-A
Yes I did, my score was 2550 but it doesn't relate to you at all because I think the UKCAT took out DA for you guys, so you have one less section.

That's still a pretty high average!

Was the interview hard because apparently 2700 ppl applied to Aberdeen and about 150 odd got in :/

Like, that's ALOT of rejections!!!
That's still a pretty high average!

Was the interview hard because apparently 2700 ppl applied to Aberdeen and about 150 odd got in :/

Like, that's ALOT of rejections!!!

Nah it's not a good score at all, it is actually slap bang on the average. Interview was pretty easy and chill, but I can't reference it to anything else as its the only one I did.

I did this project haha, my school didn't know what NaBH4 was though... ridiculous. Synthesis is not actually too hard if you have the correct chemicals
Original post by Nuba123
I'm going to be investigating compounds in milk - Going to be doing tonnes of titrations - can't wait! :biggrin:

I have to do titrations for Biology apparently... -__-

Because I picked a project on protein since I like the idea of muscles etc haha
I have to do titrations for Biology apparently... -__-

Because I picked a project on protein since I like the idea of muscles etc haha

lol I vaguely remember that for biology I picked something about cell membranes - we'll see how that works out lol

Quick Reply

Latest