The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

I was also wondering the same thing. Also do many people bring laptops in? Bear in mind I'm doing ISE which is part computing :biggrin:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
i think a backpack is definitely necessary (or a bag, handbag or any kind of bags will do). some do bring laptops in but many don't. fewer uses laptop in lectures. not sure about ISE...
Hi euanovsky I heard for maths they don't allow us to use ANY calculators! Is that true?

How are we going to deal with the statistics modules then? Also, does it mean that we need to learn how to do sums like 217/812 quickly again?
Reply 4
spencer11111
Also, does it mean that we need to learn how to do sums like 217/812 quickly again?

When has anyone ever been able to do 217/812 quickly? :s-smilie:
No... as in manual computation of 217/812 like the long division or the short form...
I know the purpose of not letting us to use the calculator is because most of uni maths is pure maths. But how about the statistics part?
Reply 7
spencer11111
No... as in manual computation of 217/812 like the long division or the short form...

You shouldn't have to deal with decimals in pure maths, should you? You're meant to keep everything in fractions.
Yup... Most of the time.

But there are some like approximations?
217/812 is just 0.26724 right?. pretty str8 forward ha? by the end of the first year you will learn how to do this kind of approximation in less than a sec.

so far for the nonsense...

no you are not allowed a calculator thats right. i think maths department is the only dept that we are not allowed to use one. anyway if 217/812 is the answer to a question in an exam you can just write that down. and if we are doing approximation then normally we use maple or matlab or a calculator. but approximation type of questions hardly ever appeared on exams paper
euanovsky
217/812 is just 0.26724 right?. pretty str8 forward ha? by the end of the first year you will learn how to do this kind of approximation in less than a sec.

no you are not allowed a calculator thats right. i think maths department is the only dept that we are not allowed to use one. anyway if 217/812 is the answer to a question in an exam you can just write that down. and if we are doing approximation then normally we use maple or matlab or a calculator. but approximation type of questions hardly ever appeared on exams paper

No wonder. God I love my calculator! I am transferring to physics or computing then.

The only thing that's preventing me to do so is the 4000 pounds extra for a lab course per year... (maths 14400 pounds, physics/computing/EEE: 18800pounds.) :rolleyes:

If I am paying local fees I am 100% certain to have transferred to Maths & Computing or Physics or EEE. :rolleyes:
euanovsky

Does it get hard to adjust to a no-calculator environment, or there is really no need for arithmetic calculations at all... :frown:
spencer where are you from? sorry im bad at recognizing the flag...

well it was quite difficult for me to transit to a no calculator environment esp when i did the ib and i was using TI 83+ all the time. well honestly in the first term i did all the problem sheets using a calculator at home (thats what many of my fds do). well basically you know all the stuffs you just have to do it w/o a calculator. so most of the time if you are sure you know how to do it its not harm using a c.r (short for calculator). i stopped using a c.r a month before the exams just to get use to doing maths without one and that worked out alright
euanovsky
spencer where are you from? sorry im bad at recognizing the flag...

well it was quite difficult for me to transit to a no calculator environment esp when i did the ib and i was using TI 83+ all the time. well honestly in the first term i did all the problem sheets using a calculator at home (thats what many of my fds do). well basically you know all the stuffs you just have to do it w/o a calculator. so most of the time if you are sure you know how to do it its not harm using a c.r (short for calculator). i stopped using a c.r a month before the exams just to get use to doing maths without one and that worked out alright

Thanks! I did the A-levels, and we use the normal scientific calculator for the Maths paper and Ti-84+ for the Further Maths paper. Don't know why everyone uses Ti-84+, because I think sharp has a better GC three-colour display and more intuitive function + faster + 1/2 cheaper.

Regarding the flag: you can point your mouse cursor over it and the country name would be displayed. :smile:
Reply 14
spencer11111
Regarding the flag: you can point your mouse cursor over it and the country name would be displayed. :smile:

Moving out at the end of term could prove a handful for you - hope you don't leave anything behind :biggrin:
JamesD89
Moving out at the end of term could prove a handful for you - hope you don't leave anything behind :biggrin:

There's no university at Stanley. So need to go to the UK for university.
Reply 16
spencer11111
There's no university at Stanley. So need to go to the UK for university.

Did you apply to uni's in other countries or just the UK?
I like the fact that it took just 3 replies to go completely off topic! Bad luck for the maths students :biggrin: I'm still using the scientific calculator I bought in year 7...
JamesD89
Did you apply to uni's in other countries or just the UK?

I applied to the US as well but have decided to come to the UK.
Reply 19
spencer11111
I applied to the US as well but have decided to come to the UK.

No comparison between living in England or USA I'm sure - out of interest, where is more expensive to study?

Latest

Trending

Trending