The Student Room Group

Application to Medicine without Chemistry?

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
You need chemistry for medicine unfortunately.
You need Chem for most medicine courses, drop
General Studies as it often dose not count
Do chemistry, try your hardest to get predicted AAA+, if not then you can apply for foundation courses(if they allow you subjects) or don't apply this year.

Next year when you hopefully get AAA then you can apply during your gap year. A gap year is nothing to be scared about, I wished I had done it. In my year, loads of people have taken gap years
Original post by the IT MAN
You need Chem for most medicine courses, drop
General Studies as it often dose not count

Yeah I'm defo dropping General Studies. The only reason I did it for AS was because it's compulsory :redface:

Original post by vela1
You need chemistry for medicine unfortunately.

Original post by Mrs House
Do chemistry, try your hardest to get predicted AAA+, if not then you can apply for foundation courses(if they allow you subjects) or don't apply this year.Next year when you hopefully get AAA then you can apply during your gap year. A gap year is nothing to be scared about, I wished I had done it. In my year, loads of people have taken gap years

Ok. Thank you!
I'll keep Chemistry then. I prefer it over Psychology by miles but I was just worried about the teacher's prediction. I might apply next year looks like.
Yeah. I'm going to keep Chemistry.
I'm definitely working a lot harder in Year 13 :yes:
There are a handful of unis that do not require chemistry (though some of those do require it to a good grade at AS), but medicine is not a degree you want to apply to with limited choices. Its very competitive and you need to apply to your strengths.

Tbh you realistically need to be predicted AAA+ (exc' gen studies) to apply for medicine - I'm not sure you would get that even if you did drop chemistry. Your best bet is to work out what went so wrong this year, fix it, and work your hardest next year to get AAA+ and apply then.

That's going to be tough though and I'm going to suggest that, whilst you do not have to give up on your dreams don't get me wrong, you start thinking about what you like about medicine and what you enjoyed during your work experience and whether another option would also meet your criteria. There are, for example, lots of very rewarding allied health careers out there, as well as other career options which could have everything you want. They might even be more akin to what you want - being a doctor has huge downsides as anyone who isn't delusional knows!
Reply 7
Original post by Namita Gurung

Or do you guys suggest for me to do Chemistry, Maths and Biology and reapply to uni with my A level grades next year? I would like to avoid taking a gap year but if that will help me get into Medicine than I guess I'll have to do that.

I would say don't drop Chemistry if you think you can work hard and get AAA at A2 with Chemistry. If you can then a gap year and apply to med school with achieved AAA would be the perfect option. It means you wouldn't be limited when choosing med schools.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending