The Student Room Group

Medicine without bio a level

I currently do maths, chem and econ a level. Do i have a chance of getting an offer from a top uni for studying medicine without having bio?
Original post by happygirl02
I currently do maths, chem and econ a level. Do i have a chance of getting an offer from a top uni for studying medicine without having bio?

Yes! But do check the entry requirements as different medical schools have different requirements
For example, Cambridge state ‘A Levels in Chemistry and one of Biology, Physics, Mathematics.’ You do both maths and chemistry. So yes.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/medicine_subject_requirements.pdf

Queen mary
A levels at grades A*AA, achieved in one sitting over a study period of no longer than two years. A-levels must include:

First A Level - Chemistry or Biology
Second A Level A further science subject from (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, or Maths)
Third A Level - Any A level subject with the exception of Critical Thinking and General Studies. Further Maths is not accepted if Maths is taken as your second A level.

Yes you can.
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Yes! But do check the entry requirements as different medical schools have different requirements
For example, Cambridge state ‘A Levels in Chemistry and one of Biology, Physics, Mathematics.’ You do both maths and chemistry. So yes.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/medicine_subject_requirements.pdf

Queen mary
A levels at grades A*AA, achieved in one sitting over a study period of no longer than two years. A-levels must include:

First A Level - Chemistry or Biology
Second A Level A further science subject from (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, or Maths)
Third A Level - Any A level subject with the exception of Critical Thinking and General Studies. Further Maths is not accepted if Maths is taken as your second A level.

Yes you can.

Thank you for your response.
I would really like to apply for Cambridge and although they do say u can apply with chem and maths, they prefer 3 sciences. According to stats, 97% of successful applicants did bio, chem, maths. I'm really nervous as to how to make my application stand out then, as everything is comparative for such top unis.
Reply 3
I would really like to apply for Cambridge and although they do say u can apply with chem and maths, they prefer 3 sciences. According to stats, 97% of successful applicants did bio, chem, maths. I'm really nervous as to how to make my application stand out then, as everything is comparative for such top unis.

with medicine you really just have to apply where you are most likely to get in (all medical schools are equal - also so there isn't technically a 'top' medical school), take you admissions tests and see how you fair with them and start making decisions after this. many medical schools won't scrutinise you for not having bio, you're better applying to those

Its not your a levels that make you stand out, its your super and extra curricular activities to show off your passion for medicine in your personal statement, such as reading scientific articles, doing work experience (online or virtual) Birghton sussex medical school virtual work experience, volunteering at the NHS, springpod has virtual experience for NHS. This in conjunction with doing well on their entrance exam, Cambridge will use BMAT for 2024, the last year for BMAT, before they change to a difference entrance exam.

Although most medical schools use the UCAT.
Its just about doing the UCAT, using your score to apply strategically. For example, keele only requires you to have greater than 2400 and a good SJT. As they mainly shortlist by completing their roles and responsibility form, essentially your work experience to show your dedication to medicine.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Its not your a levels that make you stand out, its your super and extra curricular activities to show off your passion for medicine in your personal statement, such as reading scientific articles, doing work experience (online or virtual) Birghton sussex medical school virtual work experience, volunteering at the NHS, springpod has virtual experience for NHS. This in conjunction with doing well on their entrance exam, Cambridge will use BMAT for 2024, the last year for BMAT, before they change to a difference entrance exam.

Although most medical schools use the UCAT.
Its just about doing the UCAT, using your score to apply strategically. For example, keele only requires you to have greater than 2400 and a good SJT. As they mainly shortlist by completing their roles and responsibility form, essentially your work experience to show your dedication to medicine.

thank you for your response. i would like to keep my options open thats why im trying to keep my a levels more tailored towards medicine.
Reply 6

i just wanted to clarify that currently i study maths, further maths, computer science, economics and epq.
I am hopeful that my school will at least allow me to take chemistry, maths, econ, epq instead.
However, after some though, I want to push for my school to allow me to take chem, bio and econ, epq instead as more schools seem to prefer both chem and bio than chem and maths (please let me know if you agree/disagree with this).

I wanted to know if realistically I could get high grades (A* in chem and A in bio) by studying the entire a level before my exams in may/june.
I was a hard working student at gcse, with 9s in all sciences and am predicted A* in econ. I am willing to work hard. But, is studying the whole of chem and bio possible before june?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks
i just wanted to clarify that currently i study maths, further maths, computer science, economics and epq.
I am hopeful that my school will at least allow me to take chemistry, maths, econ, epq instead.
However, after some though, I want to push for my school to allow me to take chem, bio and econ, epq instead as more schools seem to prefer both chem and bio than chem and maths (please let me know if you agree/disagree with this).

I wanted to know if realistically I could get high grades (A* in chem and A in bio) by studying the entire a level before my exams in may/june.
I was a hard working student at gcse, with 9s in all sciences and am predicted A* in econ. I am willing to work hard. But, is studying the whole of chem and bio possible before june?

Are you in year 12 or going into year 13
Are you in year 12 or going into year 13

Nvm I saw your post on gcse results in 25-08-2022, your going into year 13.
So you would be writing your personal statement.. since your doing medicine,,, have you booked your UCAT test yet. The deadline to book and complete is in September. You get your score directly after you do it in an assessment centre.

As I have just finished my A Levels in maths, biology and chemistry, and going to uni, to answer your question: you wont get high grades doing your A Level in one year. The most important thing is getting high grades in your A Level. I know from experience that biology has a lot of content, and linking your year 13 and year 12 knowledge is difficult. Instead look at foundation year medicine (also called gateway year medicine course): foundation year courses are for people who didn't choose the subject entry requirements (for example, doing at least 2 sciences, as at choosing their A Level options, chose the subjects they are passionate about. As when you are passionate, you will work hard,
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/foundation-courses/
It has an extra year to the standard medicine course, to build up your scientific knowledge.
Just want to clarify, you need to do the UCAT/BMAT this year and submit your personal statement by 15th October to apply for medicine to start in September 2024. Unless you intend to apply for September 2025 entry.

Look at manchester foundation year medicine course: https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2023/01430/mbchb-medicine-6-years-including-foundation-year/entry-requirements/#course-profile
Only students who did not have 2 science subject A Levels can apply. You can still do medicine with your current subject combination. If you change, your A Level results will be worse. You will not be able to handle the pressure of year 13.
Reply 10
As I have just finished my A Levels in maths, biology and chemistry, and going to uni, to answer your question: you wont get high grades doing your A Level in one year. The most important thing is getting high grades in your A Level. I know from experience that biology has a lot of content, and linking your year 13 and year 12 knowledge is difficult. Instead look at foundation year medicine (also called gateway year medicine course): foundation year courses are for people who didn't choose the subject entry requirements (for example, doing at least 2 sciences, as at choosing their A Level options, chose the subjects they are passionate about. As when you are passionate, you will work hard,
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/foundation-courses/
It has an extra year to the standard medicine course, to build up your scientific knowledge.
Just want to clarify, you need to do the UCAT/BMAT this year and submit your personal statement by 15th October to apply for medicine to start in September 2024. Unless you intend to apply for September 2025 entry.

Look at manchester foundation year medicine course: https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2023/01430/mbchb-medicine-6-years-including-foundation-year/entry-requirements/#course-profile
Only students who did not have 2 science subject A Levels can apply. You can still do medicine with your current subject combination. If you change, your A Level results will be worse. You will not be able to handle the pressure of year 13.

I think foundation programmes are great but, I don't think OP would benefit and/or has the ability to apply (most people cannot apply if they have high predicted grades or aren't from a contextual background). There are many medical schools that will accept someone who has chem but not biology for the standard course. I will also add, foundation programmes are harder to get into competition wise, they are not a good alternative. (never mind just seen OP in fact does not do chem - can get into med but i cannot read LOL, take this persons advice, chem in a year is very difficult)
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending