The Student Room Group

Medical school

Hi,
I am currently in year 12 and very passionate about doing medicine as. university course.I do not have chemistry as an a level subject due to my unsupportive school but have biology and psychology and rs.I know Univeristy of East Anglia would accept me with these subjects.But I have my hopes on top universities.I have even thought of taking chemistry privately even thought it is expensive,but then i know my school won't support me with this and aparrently most med schools do not accept this.I got 6s in my GCSEs.Please help me i aim for As and A*s and to be accepted into a top university.
I have also looked at biomedicine as a route since i have interest in it.
Does oxford university accept if i have taken chemistry privately without the support of my school i know UCL does not?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Almond07
Hi,
I am currently in year 12 and very passionate about doing medicine as. university course.I do not have chemistry as an a level subject due to my unsupportive school but have biology and psychology and rs.I know Univeristy of East Anglia would accept me with these subjects.But I have my hopes on top universities.I have even thought of taking chemistry privately even thought it is expensive,but then i know my school won't support me with this and aparrently most med schools do not accept this.I got 6s in my GCSEs.Please help me i aim for As and A*s and to be accepted into a top university.
Does oxford university accept if i have taken chemistry privately without the support of my school i know UCL does not?

Oxford wouldn't accept you just because of the 6s in GCSEs alone, they look heavily on GCSEs and most applicant have mostly 7s, 8s or 9s. That's not to say your GCSEs have doomed you at all for other top unis. I'd contact the ones your interested in to ask about taking Chem externally, maybe even doing a gap year to do the whole Chem a level?

Your A Level predicted grades will definitely be most important and a good UCAT score if you want to get into medicine. So focus on them, contact unis about Chemistry and see where to go from there
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by study23!
Original post by Almond07
Hi,

Oxford wouldn't accept you just because of the 6s in GCSEs alone, they look heavily on GCSEs and most applicant have mostly 7s, 8s or 9s. That's not to say your GCSEs have doomed you at all for other top unis. I'd contact the ones your interested in to ask about taking Chem externally, maybe even doing a gap year to do the whole Chem a level?

Your A Level predicted grades will definitely be most important and a good UCAT score if you want to get into medicine. So focus on them, contact unis about Chemistry and see where to go from there

Hey thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending