The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Computing 2017 Applicants

Hey guys! :smile:

I just realized that there is no thread for the 2017 Computing applicants, but there is for the 2016 ones.

You don't have to do this bit, but the other thread had it:
Course: MEng Computing (Games, Vision and Interaction)
Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Software Systems Development @ A2 + Biology @ AS
Grades: AAAAA @ AS + 1A* 8A 1B @ GCSE + Dist* BTEC Level 2 IT. (Apparently GCSEs aren't really used in the decision making process though)
Predicted Grades: Don't know yet, but my goal is 4A* regardless.

So anyone concerns or important points?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TiernanW

I just realized that there is no thread for the 2017 Computing applicants, but there is for the 2016 ones.

Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Software Systems Development @ A2 + Biology @ AS
Grades: AAAAA @ AS + 1A* 8A 1B @ GCSE + Dist* BTEC Level 2 IT. (Apparently GCSEs aren't really used in the decision making process though)

Thanks for starting this thread!

I am an International student keen on studying Artificial Intelligence in UK, but am fine with other Comp Science Streams too.

My IGCSEs results - 3A*, 4A, 2B and I am expecting predicted IB score of 39-41 (7/7/6 or 7/6/5) HL subjects being Physics, Comp. Science, Maths.

I have shortlisted a few Unis but am worried about my Maths falling short, and that seems to have the highest threshold in most Unis. Anyways, for now its work hard and aim for the best
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Hey! What's up guys?

I hope to see all of you at Imperial!

Do you guys know how important interviews are? I've heard that 90% of people interviewed are given places but the source isn't particularly reliable lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ArafatQ
Hey! What's up guys?

I hope to see all of you at Imperial!

Do you guys know how important interviews are? I've heard that 90% of people interviewed are given places but the source isn't particularly reliable lol

I heard something like this too. I can't remember if it was as extreme as 90%. Don't quote me but I think it was like 2 or 3 being interviewed per place. So yeah, its less important, but obviously still matters.
Reply 4
I heard something like this too. I can't remember if it was as extreme as 90%. Don't quote me but I think it was like 2 or 3 being interviewed per place. So yeah, its less important, but obviously still matters.

Yeah, do you have any websites that tell you what to expect from interviews?

Also, do we get asked any maths questions?
Reply 5
Original post by ArafatQ
Yeah, do you have any websites that tell you what to expect from interviews?

Also, do we get asked any maths questions?

Here is the Computing department page with a tab for interviews: http://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/prospective-students/courses/ug/beng-meng-computing/

I think it depends on the person what they ask. Definitely something to test your logical thinking and maths skills.
Hi everyone, got accepted into Imperial computing and starting there in october so if anyone has any questions about applying, interviews etc. feel free to ask :smile: I personally messed up my interview quite badly and missed my offer but somehow got in so don't get too worried if things don't go as expected
Reply 7
Original post by thecsstudent
Hi everyone, got accepted into Imperial computing and starting there in october so if anyone has any questions about applying, interviews etc. feel free to ask :smile: I personally messed up my interview quite badly and missed my offer but somehow got in so don't get too worried if things don't go as expected

Thanks for offering to help! :smile:

What were your AS grades and what was your offer?
Course: Computer Science
Subjects: Computer Science, Maths,Further maths
Grades : AAAA at as , 6a*2a gcse along with A in fsmq.
Predicted Grades: A*A*A*

Applying to imperial,ucl,kings,warwick and Brunel.
(edited 7 years ago)

Did you apply to oxbridge ?
Did you get step as part of offer ?
How was your interview ?

Thanks

I second this :smile:

my AS grades were AAAA. Offer was A*A*A (maths, fm, specified a*s). I achieved A*A*A*.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks for offering to help! :smile:

What were your AS grades and what was your offer?

I should have probably mentioned this but I didn't do A levels I did IB, I also had an offer of 2 in STEP I though :redface:
Original post by sideshowbobya
Did you apply to oxbridge ?
Did you get step as part of offer ?
How was your interview ?

Thanks

Yes I applied to cambridge but got rejected post interview.
I was asked for a 2 in STEP I. In my interview I was asked 1 maths question and an algorithmic one (because I'd talked a lot about algorithms in my ps) but I did really badly in the maths problem (the interviewer had to basically tell me the answer) and even though the second problem was better I still made mistakes in it.
Reply 13
I should have probably mentioned this but I didn't do A levels I did IB, I also had an offer of 2 in STEP I though :redface:

Well good thing it wasn't a 1 in STEP. Of course, I could end up with an offer of 1 in STEP if they felt that was appropriate.

I stress over this because I worry that I'm not going to get into any of the places I want. I got AAAAA this year but like when I look at my modules and there is a B in Biology Unit 1 and the Physics Practical, I'm just like ewwwww.
Well good thing it wasn't a 1 in STEP. Of course, I could end up with an offer of 1 in STEP if they felt that was appropriate.

I stress over this because I worry that I'm not going to get into any of the places I want. I got AAAAA this year but like when I look at my modules and there is a B in Biology Unit 1 and the Physics Practical, I'm just like ewwwww.

lol you're fine I had 2 coursework modules at grade B and they didn't seem to care
Reply 15
Original post by Rabadon
lol you're fine I had 2 coursework modules at grade B and they didn't seem to care

*fingers crossed*

Honestly, it would send me over the moon if I got an offer. :tongue: Unit 1 for Biology is a written exam, though, I have dropped Biology this year so I'm just doing Maths, FM, Physics and Software Development (CCEA A-Level).
*fingers crossed*

Honestly, it would send me over the moon if I got an offer. :tongue: Unit 1 for Biology is a written exam, though, I have dropped Biology this year so I'm just doing Maths, FM, Physics and Software Development (CCEA A-Level).

paired with a good statement and reference you could very well get an interview :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Rabadon
paired with a good statement and reference you could very well get an interview :smile:

Do you know if Imperial are recruiting more students now that caps are being taken off?
Original post by Rabadon
I second this :smile:

my AS grades were AAAA. Offer was A*A*A (maths, fm, specified a*s). I achieved A*A*A*.

Oh wow, damn good results!
How are you dealing with accomodation at Imperial College?

Hi...
Not sure about the stuff in brackets (games, vision and interaction) but i know im applying for computing lol.
Course: Computing MEng
Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computer Science, EPQ
Grades: AAAA
Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A* and A* in EPQ (technically an AS)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest