Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey i recently got my AS grades and i got ABBB, Borderline A in maths and chem phys and biology are the B.

I want to do chem eng via the natural sciences. Predicted grades are likely to be A*AAA/AAAA as i am doing all 4 this year

All i am asking is could i recieve a cambridge interview??
    considering 80% are given an interview.

All i need is one chance at an interview to impress them, just one chance.

Please reply asap becuase if i appy their i will need to submit my personal statment draft to my college in the next few days, thank you

ReputationRep:
    It certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

The issue with Cambridge is that they focus heavily UMS marks. How competitive is the course you are interested in? Depending on this you would need to have achieved good A grades. Also how were your GCSEs?

Of course this new A-level system has really screwed up the university application process for this year, so who knows what to expect?

If I were you I'd probably just go for it seeing as how enthusiastic you are about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathSci1999)
    Hey i recently got my AS grades and i got ABBB, Borderline A in maths and chem phys and biology are the B.

I want to do chem eng via the natural sciences. Predicted grades are likely to be A*AAA/AAAA as i am doing all 4 this year

Please reply asap becuase if i appy their i will need to submit my personal statment draft to my college in the next few days, thank you
    Your college won't predict you an A* in anything. You haven't achieved anywhere near the 90% UMS mark. Cambridge asks for UMS marks to be disclosed and the people getting interviewed will have at least 2A* predictions and likely all A grades at AS. Why would the best science department in the UK accept B grades at AS? Have you seen the competition?

Your chances are slim.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

Interviews are just one part of their assessment - but they are no more or less important than any other part. Your application is viewed entirely holistically.

However, you will also have the NatSci Admissions Assessment to add to your application - if you proceed. http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...cification.pdf

That said, unless you are realistically on target to meet or exceed the typical offer (A*A*A for ChemEng via either route), and in particular, are strong in maths (most have FM too), it is unlikely they will call you for interview. Yes they call a lot of applicants for interview, but unfortunately there will always be applicants in the 20%...

I would normally say that Cambridge would just be 1 line on your UCAS form, and the only way of not getting in is by not applying. But I do feel your profile would be a rather long shot for Cambridge at this stage and may be a wasted choice.

The alternative is to ace your A-levels, and apply next cycle in a gap year with A*A*A* achieved. Noting that succesful post-A-level applicants usually exceed the typical offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Interviews are just one part of their assessment - but they are no more or less important than any other part. Your application is viewed entirely holistically.

However, you will also have the NatSci Admissions Assessment to add to your application - if you proceed. http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...cification.pdf

That said, unless you are realistically on target to meet or exceed the typical offer (A*A*A for ChemEng via either route), and in particular, are strong in maths (most have FM too), it is unlikely they will call you for interview. Yes they call a lot of applicants for interview, but unfortunately there will always be applicants in the 20%...

I would normally say that Cambridge would just be 1 line on your UCAS form, and the only way of not getting in is by not applying. But I do feel your profile would be a rather long shot for Cambridge at this stage and may be a wasted choice.

The alternative is to ace your A-levels, and apply next cycle in a gap year with A*A*A* achieved. Noting that succesful post-A-level applicants usually exceed the typical offer.
    Thank you for the reply, and no i am not interested in going to cambridge anyway, i just wanted to maybe give it a go so i can see the assessment and the interview sitituation just for experince, but no point , i would rather not go throuhg the trouble , thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed98)
    It certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

The issue with Cambridge is that they focus heavily UMS marks. How competitive is the course you are interested in? Depending on this you would need to have achieved good A grades. Also how were your GCSEs?

Of course this new A-level system has really screwed up the university application process for this year, so who knows what to expect?

If I were you I'd probably just go for it seeing as how enthusiastic you are about it.
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Your college won't predict you an A* in anything. You haven't achieved anywhere near the 90% UMS mark. Cambridge asks for UMS marks to be disclosed and the people getting interviewed will have at least 2A* predictions and likely all A grades at AS. Why would the best science department in the UK accept B grades at AS? Have you seen the competition?

Your chances are slim.
    Thanks for the reply guys
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Thank you for the reply, and no i am not interested in going to cambridge anyway, i just wanted to maybe give it a go so i can see the assessment and the interview sitituation just for experince, but no point , i would rather not go throuhg the trouble , thanks
    Er. Ok...

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother applying then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Er. Ok...
    (Original post by alow)
    Don't bother applying then.
    By that i mean, its not everything to me like many people, obviously i would like to give it a go if i had a reasonable chance but the fact that i dont have a reasonable chance doesnt really matter as i have my heart set on nottingham anyway

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.