The Student Room Group

Applying to Cambridge

Is it worth applying to study History at Cambridge with 2A* (History and Psychology) and a B (Biology) and an A* in EPQ. I know it lowers my chances of getting an interview, but with a good personal statement, and the less competitive nature of studying history there, would it be worth it?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
EPQ doesn't count towards the entry requirements, and A*A*B doesn't meet the requirements of A*AA for the course. Its unlikely you'd be considered (I don't want to say impossible, because I'm not the admissions tutor). You could still try (with a very strong personal statement and a high score on the admissions test) but be very very prepared to be rejected without an interview. If these are predicted grades I suppose there is the argument you could do better in the real exam, but in that case your best bet would be either to convince your teacher to bump your prediction or get the required grades and apply after a gap year. If these are achieved grades then there's obviously not much you can do about it! If you're eligible for the Foundation Year that might be another option if you're dead set on Cambridge.
Original post by eeeli
EPQ doesn't count towards the entry requirements, and A*A*B doesn't meet the requirements of A*AA for the course. Its unlikely you'd be considered (I don't want to say impossible, because I'm not the admissions tutor). You could still try (with a very strong personal statement and a high score on the admissions test) but be very very prepared to be rejected without an interview. If these are predicted grades I suppose there is the argument you could do better in the real exam, but in that case your best bet would be either to convince your teacher to bump your prediction or get the required grades and apply after a gap year. If these are achieved grades then there's obviously not much you can do about it! If you're eligible for the Foundation Year that might be another option if you're dead set on Cambridge.

I think I will apply just to give it a go! I am taking a gap year, and these are my final grades, and unlike many universities, Cambridge does take into consideration each applicant more carefully. I’ve looked at the statistics for those who achieve the same grades as mine in applying for humanities, and there are some years where quite a few who have received interviews and some even places. Hopefully in my personal statement I will be able to sell myself well enough. If not there are many other universities I could apply to with my grades!

I
Reply 3
While an EPQ is always helpful as an addition to your personal statement, interview content and further commitment, it will not be viewed as being a component of the entry requirements set out, this means your predicted grades would just be viewed as A* A B which would not satisfy the requirements so I would say save a ucas spot and apply somewhere else or if possible get the B up to an A !
Reply 4
Original post by Lightningparrot
I think I will apply just to give it a go! I am taking a gap year, and these are my final grades, and unlike many universities, Cambridge does take into consideration each applicant more carefully. I’ve looked at the statistics for those who achieve the same grades as mine in applying for humanities, and there are some years where quite a few who have received interviews and some even places. Hopefully in my personal statement I will be able to sell myself well enough. If not there are many other universities I could apply to with my grades!

I

Good luck! It sounds like you've got a realistic mindset about this, if Cambridge works out then great, if not you'll have a great time somewhere else instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending