The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Maths MSc

Just wondering if there is anyone on this forum that can tell me a bit about doing maths at imperial (undergrad or grad level). What is the general standard of people there (ie. are there people that get 100% on modules)? How many people are on the course? What are the lectures like? Do they have many bursaries available? etc.

I've just finished my BA in maths (cam), and am seriously considering going to imperial for a masters (or another london uni, if I don't get in there).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I cant comment on the MSc but i have attended a few lectures at ICL (visiting friends) and to answer inorder, the standard of people are pretty high, lots of the usual geeks, but there are lots of or few cool people too, my friend at ICL sayas not many people get near 100%, pretty much as you woudl expect tbh. and dont expect many girls and you may as well learn Mandarin as all they do is yap yap yap *doooongyaaaa* yap yap yap. how come your undergrad in maths is BA?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Cambridge only offer BAs for all of their courses.
Sasuke!
how come your undergrad in maths is BA?

Cos its cambridge.
Are there many people doing maths at imperial?
Reply 4
well for the undergrad yeah it was pretty full, cant remember the numbers but yeah they arnt short on people. maths is becoming increasingly popular i believe.
Reply 5
Just finished my first year. There were at least 200 people on the course but I guess a few drop out. Standard varies, I suppose a few might possibly get 100% but average is most likely somewhere in the second class degree range (for first year). There are a fair number of the more introverted variety but majority are fairly normal and friendly (although the Mandarin point was rather well made! :biggrin: )

Don't know much about the Msc cos I haven't got there except that I think you need a 1st to get onto it so i guess the standard is fairly high.
How many hours of concentrated work do you need to put in for 1st year at Imperial BSc Maths to get a good grade?
Reply 7
Yeah Jonny i heard abotu your story, unfortuante apparently you was partying a little too much! but well done you passed liek 4 modules! what are your plans now then?
johnny i think ive seen you in the lectures though on your profile pic is not very cleared (with half of your head being covered!). agreed with what johnny has said except i can confirm that there are people dropping out in fact one of them is my friend.

Re: spencer about 170 hours a week i would say to get a good grade. maybe not. depends from people to people. if you are good at maths perhaps you spend like 5/10 hours a week then you are like the top bunch. if you are okay, then you'd probably need to put more time...

Sasuke: there were roughly 200 third year maths students but just about 40-ish (perhaps 50) fourth year student so i think the master course should be good. at least i hope it would. we need at least a 2.1 to get to the fourth year which you prolly knew from the website anyway
euanovsky
Re: spencer about 170 hours a week i would say to get a good grade. maybe not. depends from people to people. if you are good at maths perhaps you spend like 5/10 hours a week then you are like the top bunch. if you are okay, then you'd probably need to put more time...

If that wasn't a joke, I have just one question: what is 24 x 7? :p:
Reply 10
euanovsky
johnny i think ive seen you in the lectures though on your profile pic is not very cleared (with half of your head being covered!). agreed with what johnny has said except i can confirm that there are people dropping out in fact one of them is my friend.

Sasuke: there were roughly 200 third year maths students but just about 40-ish (perhaps 50) fourth year student so i think the master course should be good. at least i hope it would. we need at least a 2.1 to get to the fourth year which you prolly knew from the website anyway

how did you do then? or are they not publiched out jsut that you have passed?
WhatTheDeuce
If that wasn't a joke, I have just one question: what is 24 x 7? :p:

I guess is 17 hrs, not 170 hrs. So 17 hrs for good grade. 10 hrs if you are good.
Do most people do max of 8 modules per year?

Also, would doing more modules lead to higher marks for deg classification?
How many lectures are there a week (roughly, assuming you are doing 4 courses a term)? And are the lecturers generally good, or are there a lot of them who just read out the notes?
Reply 14
you have abotu 4 lectures per course and an hour for problem classes. yes the homeworks are hard. so approximately 21 hours contact time including the 1 hours of tutorial.
Reply 15
Sasuke!
Yeah Jonny i heard abotu your story, unfortuante apparently you was partying a little too much! but well done you passed liek 4 modules! what are your plans now then?

My story..? :confused: Nah I passed all of my modules and even got a few firsts :smile: Although for a while I did convince my housemates for next year that I'd only passed one and wouldn't be coming back...

In years 1/2 you can only do 8 modules, which each involve 4/3 lectures a week, an optional problem class and usually a weekly problem sheet or test.

All in all that's 15-20 hours a week contact time, and then however many hours you want to do yourself on top of that. As far as I can tell that leaves a good 130 hours/week for partying! :ridinghor
Reply 16
J0nny
My story..? :confused: Nah I passed all of my modules and even got a few firsts :smile: Although for a while I did convince my housemates for next year that I'd only passed one and wouldn't be coming back...

In years 1/2 you can only do 8 modules, which each involve 4/3 lectures a week, an optional problem class and usually a weekly problem sheet or test.

All in all that's 15-20 hours a week contact time, and then however many hours you want to do yourself on top of that. As far as I can tell that leaves a good 130 hours/week for partying! :ridinghor

Waht so you are not an ex-ICL maths? there is another jonny who is dropping out right?
yes thats another johnny
J0nny

That means if one is taking the max. course load of 8 modules, it would be 4 x 8 = 32 lectures per week! or about 6.4 lectures per day!!! How long is one lecture! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Weekly test!!! Is that counted for final grades! That means we cannot slack thru-out the course and only study like hell towards the end? :eek:
Reply 19
Just to clarify, it's 3 lectures per week per module. And you only study each module for 1 term - so most end up splitting it 4 and 4 to make up the 8 for the year, but some do 5 and 3 (there are no lectures in the 3rd term).

This equates to 12 lectures per week (15 at most, if you choose to do 5 modules in a term) = not a lot of lecture time! Each lecture is 50 mins, but depending on the lecturer, they may consistently go up to 55 mins...!

The coursework part of your mark is done in different ways - again, depending on the lecturer. Some may choose 2-3 progress tests spread across the term. Others give problem sheets each week, and every other one is assessed. For most modules, the weighting is 90% test, 10% c/w.

This is all for the first and second years btw. Not sure if it dramatically changes for the 3rd (regarding timetabling) but I shouldn't think so.

Latest

Trending

Trending