The Student Room Group

Nottingham Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RattyApple
When they say bring a passport photo that's signed, do they mean one of that size, or should I go and get one done in the booth?

I got one in the booth, then got my teacher to sign it.
Original post by Shencha
When did you hear about your interview? And were the interviewers nice? And what's the best and worst things about Nottingham uni... Also do you have time to participate in sports clubs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! I actually had my interview in July as I was initially rejected by Notts and then was invited back in May for an interview. People I knew that were also applying to Notts heard mostly after Christmas - January/February time i think?

Best things are: the people at notts everyone are so friendly and you settle in within the first day, the night life is amazing, the medicine course is really interesting and is taught well, the campus is great and everything is within a 15 min walk, all halls have decent rooms - it's just great!

Worst things are: the workload for exams is pretty heavy (this christmas isn't going to be much fun 😂) but that's to be expected with a medicine degree. Apart from that though, I'd struggle to say things that are 'bad' tbh.

In terms of sports clubs, yes many of my friends are in the University sports teams and/or the separate medics' teams and I find time to go to the gym fairly regularly too.

Good luck!
Original post by xxxsbxxx
do we have to scan in AS results?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No
is it okay if we upload exam certificates as photos rather than scans ?
Original post by nottsmedic16

Best things are: the people at notts everyone are so friendly and you settle in within the first day, the night life is amazing, the medicine course is really interesting and is taught well, the campus is great and everything is within a 15 min walk, all halls have decent rooms - it's just great!

Worst things are: the workload for exams is pretty heavy (this christmas isn't going to be much fun 😂) but that's to be expected with a medicine degree. Apart from that though, I'd struggle to say things that are 'bad' tbh.

Good luck!

First time I hear someone actually enjoying first term stuff, usually people complain how horrible it is (unless you are one of those weirdos who like MBM), but then really enjoy med school 2nd term onwards.
Good luck with your exams, they are quite hard especially if you don't know what to expect, but we all make it through eventually
Reply 386
Heya, I'm a first year at Notts atm so if anybody has any questions about the interview process, uni, course etc. Feel free to ask
Reply 387
Original post by r_98
Heya, I'm a first year at Notts atm so if anybody has any questions about the interview process, uni, course etc. Feel free to ask

Hello :smile: I wondered how well you felt like your interview went after you did it and also when you heard about your offer? Was Notts your only offer or did you pick it over others - if so what made you pick it?
Do you feel like you've settled in well at Notts - do you find it to be a nice/supportive environment as a med school and as a uni?

Thanks!
Reply 388
Original post by Zedna
Hello :smile: I wondered how well you felt like your interview went after you did it and also when you heard about your offer? Was Notts your only offer or did you pick it over others - if so what made you pick it?
Do you feel like you've settled in well at Notts - do you find it to be a nice/supportive environment as a med school and as a uni?

Thanks!

Hey,

I thought it went fairly well overall afterwards, but I got on really really well with my final interviewer so that boosted my confidence a bit.

I had my interview on the 14th of December and got my offer in early March.

I picked Notts over King's, Cardiff and St George's and haven't regretted it in the slightest. I picked it because I liked the course structure, and the uni itself (the campus is beautiful!!) but mainly just because I felt I'd fit in really well there, so if you have a gut feeling about one of the unis, go for it - chances are it's the right choice!

Like I said before, I haven't looked back, it's definitely the best place for me. Both the med school and uni are really supportive - eg the med school have a medic parent programme where you're paired up with a second year that you can go to if you need any help, want any notes etc. Also, the uni arrange to have a warden in each block of every hall so if you have any issues (even if it's just feeling homesick), you have somebody to go talk to - they're really chill though so don't be put off thinking they're like teachers, like ours has pred with us a few times before we've gone out :laugh:

One of the big things people look at regarding unis is nightlife as well and Notts is absolutely insane. All the big clubs have their student nights so it works out as having somewhere to go every night, and it's unbelievably cheap (although that's relative - I'm from London so most places are cheaper). As well as that, medsoc organise loads of nights out for medics so you get to know other people in your year.

Overall, I really couldn't recommend Notts highly enough. Just ask if you have any more questions :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by r_98

Hi, im slightly confused about how the course is run. According to my research, it is mainly traditional and integrated ?? Also in the brochure it says you get early patient contact but then says that you get clinical placements from third year onwards?? would be great if you could help?
Original post by medicine.razzz
Hi, im slightly confused about how the course is run. According to my research, it is mainly traditional and integrated ?? Also in the brochure it says you get early patient contact but then says that you get clinical placements from third year onwards?? would be great if you could help?

It is traditional, but you get one module in first year that has PBL elements and another one in 3rd year.
You get GP visits and hospital visits from first term, which is not common among med school. From 3rd year onwards you start clinical phase and are in placement all the time.
Original post by Nottie
It is traditional, but you get one module in first year that has PBL elements and another one in 3rd year.
You get GP visits and hospital visits from first term, which is not common among med school. From 3rd year onwards you start clinical phase and are in placement all the time.

Ah that makes much more sense! just slight confusion with the information on the website haha, thank you!!
Original post by r_98
Hey,

I thought it went fairly well overall afterwards, but I got on really really well with my final interviewer so that boosted my confidence a bit.

I had my interview on the 14th of December and got my offer in early March.

I picked Notts over King's, Cardiff and St George's and haven't regretted it in the slightest. I picked it because I liked the course structure, and the uni itself (the campus is beautiful!!) but mainly just because I felt I'd fit in really well there, so if you have a gut feeling about one of the unis, go for it - chances are it's the right choice!

Like I said before, I haven't looked back, it's definitely the best place for me. Both the med school and uni are really supportive - eg the med school have a medic parent programme where you're paired up with a second year that you can go to if you need any help, want any notes etc. Also, the uni arrange to have a warden in each block of every hall so if you have any issues (even if it's just feeling homesick), you have somebody to go talk to - they're really chill though so don't be put off thinking they're like teachers, like ours has pred with us a few times before we've gone out :laugh:

One of the big things people look at regarding unis is nightlife as well and Notts is absolutely insane. All the big clubs have their student nights so it works out as having somewhere to go every night, and it's unbelievably cheap (although that's relative - I'm from London so most places are cheaper). As well as that, medsoc organise loads of nights out for medics so you get to know other people in your year.

Overall, I really couldn't recommend Notts highly enough. Just ask if you have any more questions :smile:

wow well done on all your offers! How did you prepare for interview and do you have any tips??
Reply 393
I just got an interview for Nottingham. I thought they said they'll send them out after new years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 394
HOLY **** GOT AN INTERVIEW! Chose 27/2/17... My score was 37

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 395
Original post by ssh555
I just got an interview for Nottingham. I thought they said they'll send them out after new years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg same! When did you choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interview!! 10/01/17, score was 42 before ps
Reply 397
I chose 16/1/17

Posted from TSR Mobile
Daughter just got her 4th interview. About 30 mins ago., Score was either 41 or 42 before PS.
Oh my goodness, got an interview!! Booked for 17th January at 12:15
My score was 37 before PS reading, so don't worry people!! Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard and congrats to everyone with an interview:smile: x
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending