Nottingham Medicine 2017 Entry

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I didn't see a Nottingham thread so I thought I'd start one for everyone who is considering applying!
    Nottingham have a very clear scoring system on their website:
    http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine...ng-system.aspx

GCSE and UKCAT Scoring
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Applications that meet the requirements at Stage I will continue to be assessed.At this stage we will group your applications in the following way:
    • IGCSE/GCSE applicants (home and EU)
    • IGCSE/GCSE applicants (overseas)
    • Non-IGCSE/GCSE applicants (home and EU)
    • Non-IGCSE/GCSE applicants (overseas)
    • UK widening access applicants
    Please note: graduates are considered in the non-IGCSE/GCSE applicant groups.IGCSE/GCSE applicants will have their highest 8 subjects scored (first sit results only).
    The following GCSE/IGCSE subjects included in the scoring are:
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Physics
    English Language
    Best three other subjects

OR

Double Science
    Maths
    English Language
    Best four other subjects

The IGCSE/GCSE's are scored as follows:
    A* = 2 points
    A = 1 point
    B = 0 points
    A maximum of 16 points will be awarded.
    Achieved AS levels: points are not given to complete AS levels. However, we expect applicants to have achieved A or B grades.The academic and UKCAT scores are totalled and the top 50% of applicants are considered further which involves and having their personal statement and reference read and scored. Applicants in the non-IGCSE/GCSE groups will be further assessed to ensure they meet the equivalent qualifications. The UKCAT scores are totalled and the top 50% of applicants in these groups will be considered further as explained above.Applicants in the lower 50% at this stage are not considered further.
    UKCAT
    Please note that in the 2016 test, UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) will be piloting a new Decision Making section in place of the Decision Analysis subtest. You will not receive a score for this subtest. Further information about this new section can be found on the UKCAT website.Applicants may apply for a bursary to cover the full cost of the test. The scheme is open from May to September. The UKCAT website will have full bursary details.Therefore for 2017/18 UCAS Admissions cycle there will be four components to the UKCAT test which will be scored. The three cognitive components (verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, abstract reasoning) are each scored as follows:
    801 – 900 = 9 points
    701 – 800 = 8 points
    601 – 700 = 7 points
    501 – 600 = 6 points
    401 – 500 = 5 points
    301 – 400 = 4 points
    The weighting for each of the three cognitive components is equal.
    The fourth component, SJT, is scored as follows:
    Band 1 = 3 points
    Band 2 = 2 points
    Band 3 = 1 point
    Band 4 = 0 point
    Please note: Applicants who achieve a Band 4 are not considered further.To help you work out your score for the UKCAT test, please follow this example:
    An applicant who has achieved the following scores will be awarded the following number of points:
    Verbal Reasoning score of 680 = 7 points
    Quantitative Reasoning score of 500 = 5 points
    Abstract Reasoning score of 710 = 8 points
    SJT Band 2 = 2 pointsTotal points awarded for UKCAT = 22 out of a maximum of 30.
    UKCATSEN: Applicants who are entitled to additional time for public examinations are able to take the UKCATSEN. The UKCAT website www.ukcat.ac.uk provides information relating to the range of acceptable medical conditions.
    Please note:The School of Medicine requires applicants who sit the UKCATSEN to provide supporting evidence.The UKCAT results are added to the academic scores where applicable and the top 50% of applicants will go forward to the next stage which involves reading and scoring personal statements and references.Applicants in the lower 50% at this stage are not considered further.
    PS/Reference Scoring
    Spoiler:
    Show
    A maximum of 16 points are awarded for the personal statement. The reference is read in conjunction with the personal statement.The following attributes are considered:
    • An understanding of the challenges of a medical career
    • Motivation
    • Commitment
    • Voluntary experience
    • Extracurricular activities
    • School/College contribution
    • Supporting evidence in reference
    Please note: the above list is for guidance only. As you can appreciate, we are unable to provide detailed information of our scoring system as it would compromise the reliability of this process.The score awarded at this stage is added to previous scores for academic (where applicable) and UKCAT. The top scoring applicants from each group are invited for interview.
    Scores needed last year
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2016/17 admissions cycle - the following were the minimum scores required to proceed to the next stage of the selection process:GCSE applicants: at least 46 points (HEU) and at least 45 points (Overseas) to be considered at the personal statement stage and at least 56 points (HEU) and at least 51 points (Overseas) to proceed to interview.
    Non-GCSE applicants (HEU and Overseas): at least 30 points to be considered at the personal statement stage and at least 38 points (HEU) and at least 32 points (Overseas) to proceed to interview.The scores above are for guidance only and may differ for 2017/18.
    Note that these scores included the Decision Analysis section which isn't marked this year, so this year's cut-offs will be lower

Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    Hi everyone,

I didn't see a Nottingham thread so I thought I'd start one for everyone who is considering applying!

GCSE and UKCAT Scoring
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Applications that meet the requirements at Stage I will continue to be assessed.At this stage we will group your applications in the following way:
    Please note: graduates are considered in the non-IGCSE/GCSE applicant groups.IGCSE/GCSE applicants will have their highest 8 subjects scored (first sit results only).
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Physics
    English Language

OR

Double Science
    Maths
    English Language
    A* = 2 points
    A = 1 point
    B = 0 points
    Achieved AS levels: points are not given to complete AS levels. However, we expect applicants to have achieved A or B grades.The academic and UKCAT scores are totalled and the top 50% of applicants are considered further which involves and having their personal statement and reference read and scored. Applicants in the non-IGCSE/GCSE groups will be further assessed to ensure they meet the equivalent qualifications. The UKCAT scores are totalled and the top 50% of applicants in these groups will be considered further as explained above.Applicants in the lower 50% at this stage are not considered further.
    UKCAT
    Please note that in the 2016 test, UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) will be piloting a new Decision Making section in place of the Decision Analysis subtest. You will not receive a score for this subtest. Further information about this new section can be found on the UKCAT website.Applicants may apply for a bursary to cover the full cost of the test. The scheme is open from May to September. The UKCAT website will have full bursary details.Therefore for 2017/18 UCAS Admissions cycle there will be four components to the UKCAT test which will be scored. The three cognitive components (verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, abstract reasoning) are each scored as follows:
    801 – 900 = 9 points
    701 – 800 = 8 points
    601 – 700 = 7 points
    501 – 600 = 6 points
    401 – 500 = 5 points
    301 – 400 = 4 points
    Band 1 = 3 points
    Band 2 = 2 points
    Band 3 = 1 point
    Band 4 = 0 point
    Please note: Applicants who achieve a Band 4 are not considered further.To help you work out your score for the UKCAT test, please follow this example:
    An applicant who has achieved the following scores will be awarded the following number of points:
    SJT Band 2 = 2 pointsTotal points awarded for UKCAT = 22 out of a maximum of 30.
    UKCATSEN: Applicants who are entitled to additional time for public examinations are able to take the UKCATSEN. The UKCAT website www.ukcat.ac.uk provides information relating to the range of acceptable medical conditions.
    Please note:The School of Medicine requires applicants who sit the UKCATSEN to provide supporting evidence.The UKCAT results are added to the academic scores where applicable and the top 50% of applicants will go forward to the next stage which involves reading and scoring personal statements and references.Applicants in the lower 50% at this stage are not considered further.
    PS/Reference Scoring
    Spoiler:
    Show
    A maximum of 16 points are awarded for the personal statement. The reference is read in conjunction with the personal statement.The following attributes are considered:
    • Motivation
    • Commitment
    • Voluntary experience
    Please note: the above list is for guidance only. As you can appreciate, we are unable to provide detailed information of our scoring system as it would compromise the reliability of this process.The score awarded at this stage is added to previous scores for academic (where applicable) and UKCAT. The top scoring applicants from each group are invited for interview.
    Scores needed last year
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2016/17 admissions cycle - the following were the minimum scores required to proceed to the next stage of the selection process:GCSE applicants: at least 46 points (HEU) and at least 45 points (Overseas) to be considered at the personal statement stage and at least 56 points (HEU) and at least 51 points (Overseas) to proceed to interview.Non-GCSE applicants (HEU and Overseas): at least 30 points to be considered at the personal statement stage and at least 38 points (HEU) and at least 32 points (Overseas) to proceed to interview.The scores above are for guidance only and may differ for 2017/18.
    Note that these scores included the Decision Analysis section which isn't marked this year, so this year's cut-offs will be lower

Good luck everyone!
    Hey! I am thinking of applying to Nottingham, looks gorgeous. the scoring system freaked me out as I was like what?! 46?! Hahaha. So if you take out the nineDA Marks the cut off for last year would be 37 pre PS and 47 after? I think hopefully I will have a score of 42 so looking bright unless I fail UKCAT aha. What other unis you looking at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    Hey! I am thinking of applying to Nottingham, looks gorgeous. the scoring system freaked me out as I was like what?! 46?! Hahaha. So if you take out the nineDA Marks the cut off for last year would be 37 pre PS and 47 after? I think hopefully I will have a score of 42 so looking bright unless I fail UKCAT aha. What other unis you looking at?
    Yeah I have 42
    I love Newcastle though I'm irrationally worrying that the cut-off is going to jump loads - I guess I'll wait till the averages are released. Have you any idea exactly when that happens? They say late September but I saw someone else say the 15th. I got 727 which I'm obviously really pleased with but I can't help worrying
    My others are Oxford (not 100% though) and either Liverpool or Birmingham. I haven't been to Birmingham yet but I think I like Liverpool more, especially as a city, but I would be applying to my strengths a lot more with Birmingham because I have good GCSEs! So that's a bit of a head vs heart decision...
    How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    Hi everyone,

GCSE and UKCAT Scoring
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Physics
    English Language

OR

Double Science
    Maths
    English Language
    A* = 2 points
    A = 1 point
    B = 0 points
    UKCAT
    801 – 900 = 9 points
    701 – 800 = 8 points
    601 – 700 = 7 points
    501 – 600 = 6 points
    401 – 500 = 5 points
    301 – 400 = 4 points
    Band 1 = 3 points
    Band 2 = 2 points
    Band 3 = 1 point
    Band 4 = 0 point
    PS/Reference Scoring
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Motivation
    • Commitment
    • Voluntary experience
    Scores needed last year
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2016/17 admissions cycle - the following were the minimum scores required to proceed to the next stage of the selection process:GCSE applicants: at least 46 points (HEU) and at least 45 points (Overseas) to be considered at the personal statement stage and at least 56 points (HEU) and at least 51 points (Overseas) to proceed to interview.
    Non-GCSE applicants (HEU and Overseas): at least 30 points to be considered at the personal statement stage and at least 38 points (HEU) and at least 32 points (Overseas) to proceed to interview.The scores above are for guidance only and may differ for 2017/18.

Good luck everyone!
    I'm thinking of applying to Nottingham for 2017 entry (I'm also looking at Lancaster, Birmingham, UEA and Glasgow but haven't made up my mind so far). I score 42/46 as well for the application so hopefully this would be high enough to secure an interview at least.

Has anyone been/going to an open day? I can't make any of the open days so I'm a bit dubious of applying blind but I might just have to go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    Yeah I have 42
    I love Newcastle though I'm irrationally worrying that the cut-off is going to jump loads - I guess I'll wait till the averages are released. Have you any idea exactly when that happens? They say late September but I saw someone else say the 15th. I got 727 which I'm obviously really pleased with but I can't help worrying
    My others are Oxford (not 100% though) and either Liverpool or Birmingham. I haven't been to Birmingham yet but I think I like Liverpool more, especially as a city, but I would be applying to my strengths a lot more with Birmingham because I have good GCSEs! So that's a bit of a head vs heart decision...
    How about you?
    I am not sure, I just heard it was before the application deadline although my schools medicine deadline is September 21st so hopefully before then well done! And yeah I feel you. I'm thinking Cambridge (my GCSE percentage isn't high enough for Oxford I don't think, damn our school making us take 13 GCSE), Nottingham or Birmingham (will see after open days) Edinburgh and a London university, either BMAT or non depending on my UKCAT aha. I feel you, that's with me about Edinburgh (it's so competitive and would be better for me to go for Nottingham and Birmingham but oblibe it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elishchambers)
    I'm thinking of applying to Nottingham for 2017 entry (I'm also looking at Lancaster, Birmingham, UEA and Glasgow but haven't made up my mind so far). I score 42/46 as well for the application so hopefully this would be high enough to secure an interview at least.

Has anyone been/going to an open day? I can't make any of the open days so I'm a bit dubious of applying blind but I might just have to go for it
    Nottingham was my favourite open day, it had a great feel to it, was really green and lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    Nottingham was my favourite open day, it had a great feel to it, was really green and lovely
    Oh lovely! What were the facilities like? Also how was the accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure, I just heard it was before the application deadline although my schools medicine deadline is September 21st so hopefully before then well done! And yeah I feel you. I'm thinking Cambridge (my GCSE percentage isn't high enough for Oxford I don't think, damn our school making us take 13 GCSE), Nottingham or Birmingham (will see after open days) Edinburgh and a London university, either BMAT or non depending on my UKCAT aha. I feel you, that's with me about Edinburgh (it's so competitive and would be better for me to go for Nottingham and Birmingham but oblibe it)
    Haha I don't even know when my school's deadline is or how any of the process at my school works, they're so disorganised!
    That sounds like a good plan - I just went on a summer school in Cambridge and since the A-Level debacle they're basically going to invite everyone with a chance to interview, so I think you will have a great shot there I actually do love Cambridge, but I got 100% A* at GCSE so Oxford kind of suits my strengths more I guess, and I'm sure I'll like it just as much
    I thought about Edinburgh but I kind of decided it would be too risky to apply to both Edinburgh and Oxford. I'm trying to be as sensible as my silly fantasies allow me to be, because I know if in a year's time I don't get any offers because I didn't apply to my strengths I'll be cursing myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elishchambers)
    Oh lovely! What were the facilities like? Also how was the accommodation?
    We got a tour of the med school and it seemed great (including the dissection labs ) but obviously that's a plus especially if you have surgical ambitions... (which I don't, but ah well haha)
    The accommodation seemed pretty standard. The downside for me is that all of the on-campus accommodation is catered, which I'm not really sure about, but there are a few self-catered literally 5 minutes away so I think that will be fine.
    I also loved how the campus is literally connected to the med school by a walkway across the road, so you're not having to get the bus there like some unis, and I am told that's where the vast majority of your teaching takes place

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I am thinking of applying for Medicine at Nottingham 2017. Anyone who went to the open day, how did you feel the student body was? Were they friendly and were many of them local?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    Haha I don't even know when my school's deadline is or how any of the process at my school works, they're so disorganised!
    That sounds like a good plan - I just went on a summer school in Cambridge and since the A-Level debacle they're basically going to invite everyone with a chance to interview, so I think you will have a great shot there I actually do love Cambridge, but I got 100% A* at GCSE so Oxford kind of suits my strengths more I guess, and I'm sure I'll like it just as much
    I thought about Edinburgh but I kind of decided it would be too risky to apply to both Edinburgh and Oxford. I'm trying to be as sensible as my silly fantasies allow me to be, because I know if in a year's time I don't get any offers because I didn't apply to my strengths I'll be cursing myself!
    Oooh how was the summer school? What college did you stay in? I wanted to go on one but didn't meet conditions for Sutton or UniQ and didn't want to pay 3500 aha as just went on GapMedics that's a good sign! Yeah it's all been a mess really! After reading your response I am really reconsidering my life choices aha. I will only apply to Edinburgh I think if I really ace my UKCAT (750+) as otherwise it's too risky and I will just apply to unis that suit my strengths more like Birmingham. Nottingham is beautiful though and good for my strengths I think (with the scoring system) so hopefully it's a good choice for us aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    We got a tour of the med school and it seemed great (including the dissection labs ) but obviously that's a plus especially if you have surgical ambitions... (which I don't, but ah well haha)
    The accommodation seemed pretty standard. The downside for me is that all of the on-campus accommodation is catered, which I'm not really sure about, but there are a few self-catered literally 5 minutes away so I think that will be fine.
    I also loved how the campus is literally connected to the med school by a walkway across the road, so you're not having to get the bus there like some unis, and I am told that's where the vast majority of your teaching takes place
    Thank you!! It's sounds great! I'm definitely considering applying now, but I'm with you on the catered accommodation I'd much prefer to be in self-catered even if it is a bit of a walk from campus haha.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone! If anyone of you need any help with personal statements and interviews or just advice in general I'll be more than happy to help. (I'll be starting Nottingham Med school soon)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    is 40/46 too low? i'm kind of worried now that I won't get an interview as majority seem to have 42+/46 etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medic99)
    is 40/46 too low? i'm kind of worried now that I won't get an interview as majority seem to have 42+/46 etc.
    I do not think so! As last year, the cut off before they looked at PS (so for academics and ukcat) was only 46/55 I think so as long as you are around 9 points away from the highest mark (in our case 46) and you are pretty confident in your Personal statement you are likely to get an interview. Although it depends on the standard of the year applying, they say on the website that they discard the bottom 50% at each stage or whatever so if this year everyone has stellar stats (40 plus out of 46 or something) then the cut off for interview and at each stage will be higher.

If TSR is anything to go by, the standard this year is crazy high, but then again it is TSR so it is likely to be a lot lower than that haha

ReputationRep:
    I do not think so! As last year, the cut off before they looked at PS (so for academics and ukcat) was only 46/55 I think so as long as you are around 9 points away from the highest mark (in our case 46) and you are pretty confident in your Personal statement you are likely to get an interview. Although it depends on the standard of the year applying, they say on the website that they discard the bottom 50% at each stage or whatever so if this year everyone has stellar stats (40 plus out of 46 or something) then the cut off for interview and at each stage will be higher.

If TSR is anything to go by, the standard this year is crazy high, but then again it is TSR so it is likely to be a lot lower than that haha
    thanks for the reassurance, as i really want to go to Nottingham. haha TSR everyone seems to have amazing gcses/ukcat/everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    Yeah I have 42
    How about you?
    Interim results are released on the 15th of September, and final results are released 5th October, I think. It's the day after the final testing date, I think...

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reassurance, as i really want to go to Nottingham. haha TSR everyone seems to have amazing gcses/ukcat/everything!
    So true, here was me being so happy with my GCSE grades at the end of year 11 (10A* 3A's) then coming on here and seeing like "got 13A* 1A can I do medicine" and with UMS too for cambridge people be like "you need a 97 plus UMS average or your application is going in the bin" thankfully I did my own research and emailed admissions tutors etc to find out my real chances but just do not believe everything you see on TSR as the people on here normally are like the best of the best so do not be put off!

ReputationRep:
    So true, here was me being so happy with my GCSE grades at the end of year 11 (10A* 3A's) then coming on here and seeing like "got 13A* 1A can I do medicine" and with UMS too for cambridge people be like "you need a 97 plus UMS average or your application is going in the bin" thankfully I did my own research and emailed admissions tutors etc to find out my real chances but just do not believe everything you see on TSR as the people on here normally are like the best of the best so do not be put off!
    thanks again, and by far some peoples grades can make you feel so small comparably! what unis are you thinking of applying to?

ReputationRep:
    thanks again, and by far some peoples grades can make you feel so small comparably! what unis are you thinking of applying to?
    I feel that. I am thinking Cambridge (if head of admissions says it is realistic, We had like 4 people go there for medicine two years ago from school so they know what is required), Nottingham, Birmingham and my fourth really depends on my UKCAT (if I do really well then Kings or Edinburgh, if not then UCL or Imperial)

wbu?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 20, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What are you?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.