The Student Room Group

should i take sociology instead of history for a-level?

in a couple of days i go back to school and at the moment the subjects im supposed to take for a level are history, religious studies and psychology. the problem is that i don't really enjoy history and i'm just moderately good at it. the only reason i chose it was bc it's a facilitating subject and i've heard that you can't get into a russell group uni without at least one facilitating a level. i also pretty much have no idea what degree subject i want to study which is why i thought history would keep more options open. but i know have a much better chance at getting an A in sociology than history. it's something i'm sure i'd enjoy way more than history and do well in but it's not facilitating or a "respected" a level supposedly. What should i do, switch to sociology or keep my options open and do history?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Smartstudent0821
in a couple of days i go back to school and at the moment the subjects im supposed to take for a level are history, religious studies and psychology. the problem is that i don't really enjoy history and i'm just moderately good at it. the only reason i chose it was bc it's a facilitating subject and i've heard that you can't get into a russell group uni without at least one facilitating a level. i also pretty much have no idea what degree subject i want to study which is why i thought history would keep more options open. but i know have a much better chance at getting an A in sociology than history. it's something i'm sure i'd enjoy way more than history and do well in but it's not facilitating or a "respected" a level supposedly. What should i do, switch to sociology or keep my options open and do history?

If you don't enjoy history I suggest you don't take it for A Level as you won't enjoy it!! I'm certain universities would rather you choose a subject you enjoy and get a good grade in it than doing a subject you don't like and get a bad grade in it. If it helps I'm currently studying sociology at A Level and it is a great and interesting subject and if you put in the hard work you can achieve a good grade!!

Quick Reply

Latest