The Student Room Group

Should I go for 9-1GCSEs or rush a bit and do old GCSEs?

Im an independent student working to (hoprefully) get some grade a
As and the new changes in place means that i have a one off chance with the old style gcses in summer 2017, or i can take my time a bit and go for the 9-1 gcses. I do not want a mix in my results with 9-1s and a*-g. What should i do? Please make my decision for me, thanks!
Well, you can't take the old English and Mathematics GCSEs anymore (I don't think), so if you don't want a mix in your results, go for 9-1s. I would prefer to have 9-1 GCSEs anyway, because it distinguishes between low and high A*'s.
Original post by JourneyToSuccess
Well, you can't take the old English and Mathematics GCSEs anymore (I don't think), so if you don't want a mix in your results, go for 9-1s. I would prefer to have 9-1 GCSEs anyway, because it distinguishes between low and high A*'s.

You can retake in novebmer this year with A*-G
Reply 3
The reason I'm asking is the last time I did my GCSES, it was TWENTY years ago :biggrin:

Now why am I doing them again after all this time?
-My initial grades were terrible
-I have a new found passion for learning
-I've grown up... At least compared to where I was when 15 :smile:
-I'm considering teaching as a line of work and I don't want to apply with Cs and Ds for GCSEs when I'm going to be teaching smarter kids

So either I go with the old GCSEs and rush them a bit for June/July 2017 for a shot at the A*-G, or I can try for the 9-1 on 2017 or a year later. I doubt I will do retakes because any grade I'll get now will most likely be far better than what I achieved 20 years ago.
Original post by JourneyToSuccess

That reasoning only works if OP is a high achieving student. Otherwise, it's nonsensical to do harder GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest