The Student Room Group

English Speech GCSE advice

Hi - I've got my english speech coming up and am currently writing a final draft (aiming for a distinction).

Just wondered if there was any *grade 9* advice that could help me.

Thank you!
Hi, I got a 9 in both English's and a distinction in my speaking exam - its mostly about the delivery of your speech, so try to appear confident and speak clearly and slowly
Original post by Oxford Aspirant
Hi - I've got my english speech coming up and am currently writing a final draft (aiming for a distinction).

Thank you!

Hiya, I did my GCSE speech last year and got a distinction and firstly, relax, it is not as bad as it sounds. A friend of mine gave up half way through her speech after numerous errors and still passed. So long as you have a point and can speak English you should be ok.
As for a distinction:
1) make sure you have practiced your speech and used somewhat decent vocabulary
2) make sure it has a clear structure and an essay to follow argument and point
3)Try to include other view points
4) show a bit of who you are

These may or may not help as I have no idea on how it is marked but I tried to do these things and apparently it worked. Good luck
Any recommendations for timing? (Mine is currently 4 minutes long).
Reply 4

Thank you!

The easiest way to achieve a distinction would be confidence, vocabulary and interaction with audience (answering questions etc). Choose a topic you are want and do not be under any pressure to change it. Good luck!

Our school recommended between 3 and 5 minutes I think. Mine was under the time in the end because I didn’t practice properly, but still got a distinction so I guess it doesn’t matter much?

My school only allowed 3 minutes. It's better to have less to say and drag it out than rushing your whole speech!!!!
Reply 7
as long as you pass it doesn’t matter, as it doesn’t change your overall grade. youre free to put in as much effort as you want, but don’t waste time on something which won’t contribute marks to you

Quick Reply

Latest