The Student Room Group

Medicine foundation year?!?!

. I have chosen biology, psychology, english lit and sociology
. Did not get a B in maths gcse, i got a C so cannot do chemistry a level :frown:
. Most advice i have received is based on either doing a foundation year or biomedical sciences degree, in which i dont think i will be able to do due to my maths gcse grade as well as having no chemistry at a level.
. Do foundation years in medicine have requirements for gcse mathematics?
(edited 7 years ago)
Chemistry is pretty much essential for all medicine courses. I think your best bet is to either convince your school you really really want to take chemistry or take it privately.
I only remember a few unis that offer foundation medicine (east anglia,Nottingham, some down south-need to be living in London though) but most need GCSE maths at a B at least plus chemistry and satisfy some conditions.

Have a look at Sheffield foundation though because if I remember correctly it's AAA entry but no chemistry and GCSE maths at C.

Edit: also research Cardiff ć prelim year
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks guys
Does sheffield require a level chem though? Theres no way i would get into chemistry at my sixth form as it is 25% maths based. Foundation years dont require chemistry do they?
Original post by alicepalacexx
Thanks guys
Does sheffield require a level chem though? Theres no way i would get into chemistry at my sixth form as it is 25% maths based. Foundation years dont require chemistry do they?

Unfortunately some do require chemistry and GCSE maths at B or above. Others are made for those who didn't take any science at all and some are targeting students in the nearby area and/or living under certain circumstances.

But there are a few that accept biology and psychology as long as you don't have chemistry, like Sheffield. I'd email Sheffield and ask if they'll accept you with your subjects just to make sure.

image.jpeg
Original post by alicepalacexx
Thanks guys

Sorry, my bad - I checked a few unis and some don't. Check out sheffield/cardiff/manchester
Original post by needle_point
Unfortunately some do require chemistry and GCSE maths at B or above. Others are made for those who didn't take any science at all and some are targeting students in the nearby area and/or living under certain circumstances.

But there are a few that accept biology and psychology as long as you don't have chemistry, like Sheffield. I'd email Sheffield and ask if they'll accept you with your subjects just to make sure.

image.jpeg

sheffield no longer offers a foundation year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending