The Student Room Group

How do I do a level chemistry privately from year 12?

Hi,
I’m a student in year 12,who believes she was wronged!My secondary school kicked me out in the middle of year 9 when I was in a foreign country to go and meet my sick grandma.The school did not understand this and therefore I was admitted back in my school at the end of September because of the admissions process being so long;not only that they put me in the worst sets for my subjects and I didn’t even get to choose the subjects I wanted.I had to do history geography and rs which they don’t even do anymore because of students getting lower grades who do this in the first place.J would’ve done much better if I did the subjects I liked which were geography computer science and rs.Anyways the teachers were so stingy and wouldn’t let me do higher until year 11 even though I got 5 on 5 on 5 in every exam in foundation in year 10 for Maths and science.I only had one year to learn the higher content properly.As a result I got 66 in combined science eng lang and lit rs and history and got a 5 in maths and geography.My schools requirements to do biology and chemistry are 66 in combined science and a 6 in maths.Unfortunately i didn’t meet this requirement but they still put me in the biology and chemistry class but left me out of maths which I was okay with,because I only needed biology and chemistry to do medicine.I have a passion for medicine deeply I want to become a heart surgeon!Tears flowed and still flow out of my eyes when they told me I couldn’t do chemistry and they’d let me do either biology or chemistry not both of them due to being ‘sympathetic’ with my situation.All the universities I want to go requires biology and chemistry.Unfortunately I have to do biology psychology and rs currently.There is a school called university of east anglia which will take these subjects but it requires 6 GCSEs at grade 7 or above and it accepts resits.However idk if I should just resit my GCSEs along with my alevels at the same time.Please can someone advise me on this,because my school is not very supportive but it is very good compared to other sixth forms.Thank you
Original post by hellokitty079
Hi,
I’m a student in year 12,who believes she was wronged!My secondary school kicked me out in the middle of year 9 when I was in a foreign country to go and meet my sick grandma.The school did not understand this and therefore I was admitted back in my school at the end of September because of the admissions process being so long;not only that they put me in the worst sets for my subjects and I didn’t even get to choose the subjects I wanted.I had to do history geography and rs which they don’t even do anymore because of students getting lower grades who do this in the first place.J would’ve done much better if I did the subjects I liked which were geography computer science and rs.Anyways the teachers were so stingy and wouldn’t let me do higher until year 11 even though I got 5 on 5 on 5 in every exam in foundation in year 10 for Maths and science.I only had one year to learn the higher content properly.As a result I got 66 in combined science eng lang and lit rs and history and got a 5 in maths and geography.My schools requirements to do biology and chemistry are 66 in combined science and a 6 in maths.Unfortunately i didn’t meet this requirement but they still put me in the biology and chemistry class but left me out of maths which I was okay with,because I only needed biology and chemistry to do medicine.I have a passion for medicine deeply I want to become a heart surgeon!Tears flowed and still flow out of my eyes when they told me I couldn’t do chemistry and they’d let me do either biology or chemistry not both of them due to being ‘sympathetic’ with my situation.All the universities I want to go requires biology and chemistry.Unfortunately I have to do biology psychology and rs currently.There is a school called university of east anglia which will take these subjects but it requires 6 GCSEs at grade 7 or above and it accepts resits.However idk if I should just resit my GCSEs along with my alevels at the same time.Please can someone advise me on this,because my school is not very supportive but it is very good compared to other sixth forms.Thank you

As you haven't studied chemistry before, I would recommend doing it as an online course, then book your exams privately. If you want a fuller explanation on how to go about this, let me know (I know your main question specifies, but the below might change your mind).

If this is not ideal, then I would look to do the degree with a gateway year (i.e. a foundation year). See:
https://www.uea.ac.uk/course/undergraduate/mbbs-medicine-with-a-gateway-year#entry_requirements
You will need to get BBB in your current A Levels with six 6s at GCSE including maths, science, and english language.
To save time, I would resit GCSE Maths

If you went for the main degree in medicine without the gateway year:
https://www.uea.ac.uk/course/undergraduate/mbbs-medicine#entry_requirements
...you would need at least A Level Chemistry or Biology on top and to six 7s including maths, double science, and English language to be at least grade 6. i.e. in addition to doing A Level Chemistry, you would need to resit at least 6 GCSEs.
Alternatively, you could look into an approved Access course, which they are picky on i.e. it needs to be from one of the following colleges:
The College of West Anglia (Access to Medicine)
East Coast College, Norfolk Access to Medicine
Lambeth College (Access to Medicine & Biomedical Science)
City and Islington College (Access to Medicine & Medical Bio Sciences)
The Manchester College (Access to Medicine)
Bradford University (Foundation in Clinical Science/Medicine)
East Sussex College (Access to Medicine)
City of Liverpool University (Access to Science)
Truro and Penwith College (Access to HE Medicine)
We require 75% overall and 75% in each module or Distinction in 45 credits at level 3.
Do note, your A Levels need to be grades AAC or ABB in order to qualify for the medical degree without the foundation year.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
As you haven't studied chemistry before, I would recommend doing it as an online course, then book your exams privately. If you want a fuller explanation on how to go about this, let me know (I know your main question specifies, but the below might change your mind).

If this is not ideal, then I would look to do the degree with a gateway year (i.e. a foundation year). See:
https://www.uea.ac.uk/course/undergraduate/mbbs-medicine-with-a-gateway-year#entry_requirements
You will need to get BBB in your current A Levels with six 6s at GCSE including maths, science, and english language.
To save time, I would resit GCSE Maths

If you went for the main degree in medicine without the gateway year:
https://www.uea.ac.uk/course/undergraduate/mbbs-medicine#entry_requirements
...you would need at least A Level Chemistry or Biology on top and to six 7s including maths, double science, and English language to be at least grade 6. i.e. in addition to doing A Level Chemistry, you would need to resit at least 6 GCSEs.
Alternatively, you could look into an approved Access course, which they are picky on i.e. it needs to be from one of the following colleges:
The College of West Anglia (Access to Medicine)
East Coast College, Norfolk Access to Medicine
Lambeth College (Access to Medicine & Biomedical Science)
City and Islington College (Access to Medicine & Medical Bio Sciences)
The Manchester College (Access to Medicine)
Bradford University (Foundation in Clinical Science/Medicine)
East Sussex College (Access to Medicine)
City of Liverpool University (Access to Science)
Truro and Penwith College (Access to HE Medicine)
We require 75% overall and 75% in each module or Distinction in 45 credits at level 3.
Do note, your A Levels need to be grades AAC or ABB in order to qualify for the medical degree without the foundation year.

Thank you so much!This is very useful advice and I might actually consider the gateway year.However even though UEA is a very good university and it does accept my grades except for maths which I’ll resist to do the gateway year and I do want to keep backups,are there any other great universities which offer the gateway year course?
Original post by hellokitty079
Thank you so much!This is very useful advice and I might actually consider the gateway year.However even though UEA is a very good university and it does accept my grades except for maths which I’ll resist to do the gateway year and I do want to keep backups,are there any other great universities which offer the gateway year course?

The medic portal is somewhere I would go to for anything related to medical degrees. It's a good website for that sort of information.

The unis that offer foundation years as part of medical degrees include:
Aberdeen University Gateway2Medicine: A 1-year course for Scottish applicants from widening access backgrounds. It guarantees students a place on year 1 of the university’s undergraduate Medicine programme afterwards, as long as they do well during the course and perform satisfactorily in the UCAT and MMI interview.
Bristol University Gateway to Medicine: A widening participation course for students who have the potential to become a Doctor but don’t meet the standard academic entry requirements to apply for the 5-year undergraduate Medicine course.
Dundee University Gateway to Medicine: A 1-year course designed to support you towards the 5-year degree course if you meet relevant criteria. As far as possible, what you study will be tailored to your personal academic needs and aspirations.
Edge Hill University Medicine with Foundation Year: This course is for students from the North West of England who have the potential and aspiration to become Doctors, but whose background means they are unlikely to meet the entry requirements for the 5-year course. You can transfer to the Medicine course if you pass all assessments and meet the course requirements.
Hull York Medical School Medicine with a Gateway Year: A widening participation initiative designed to facilitate access to Medicine for those from underrepresented backgrounds. On successful completion, you’ll automatically progress to their 5-year Medicine course.
Keele University Health Foundation Year for Medicine: A gateway route into Medicine for students from some underrepresented groups. Successful completion of the foundation year allows you to progress to the 5-year degree course.
King’s College London Extended Medical Degree Programme: For students who are studying A-Levels or Access to Medicine at a non-selective state school, or who are participants of Realising Opportunities across England. You’ll receive an introduction to medical study with additional support in your first two years.
Lancaster University Medicine and Surgery with a Gateway Year: For candidates who are not eligible to apply directly to the Medicine and Surgery degree programme, and who fulfill widening participation criteria or have significant mitigating circumstances. The foundation year will prepare you to progress onto the Medicine course.
Leeds University Gateway Year to Medicine: A course specifically for students from widening participation backgrounds hoping to take their first steps into Medicine. You’ll move onto the 5-year Medicine course if you reach the grades required and complete the Gateway year.
Leicester University Medicine with Foundation Year: For students who wish to study Medicine at the University of Leicester, but whose background makes it less likely that they will be able to meet the entry requirements of the 5-year course. You’ll progress to the Medicine course once you complete the Foundation year.
Liverpool University Foundation to Human and Animal Health Professions (Medicine): A year zero foundation programme, designed for mature students who have been out of formal education for some time or who have taken non-traditional qualifications. It leads to access onto a Medicine and Surgery MBChB programme.
Manchester University Medicine with Foundation Year: This allows you to spend a year preparing for the 5-year Medicine course if you don’t have the appropriate science qualifications for direct entry.
Nottingham University Medicine with a Foundation Year: For students who want to study Medicine but don’t meet the typical entry requirements. The Foundation year gives you the benefit of small class sizes, and upon successful completion of the year, you will transition into the standard Medicine course structure.
Norwich Medical School (UEA) Medicine with a Gateway Year: This Foundation course is designed for students whose circumstances or educational opportunities have prevented them from realising their academic potential. The Gateway year will equip you with the academic skills and knowledge needed to progress onto the 5-year Medicine course.
Plymouth University Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery with Foundation: An alternative entry route into Medicine for able students whose education has been impacted by adversity. Students successfully completing the Foundation year will enrol directly onto the 5-year Medicine course.
Southampton University Medicine BM6 Widening Participation: This course is designed to widen participation in Medicine. For example, you may be able to apply if you or your parent/guardian receive benefits, or if you are the first in your family to apply for a higher education course.
St Andrews University Gateway to Medicine: This course is designed to promote the uptake of higher education, specifically the study of Medicine, among groups that are traditionally under-represented at university. It is open to students resident in Scotland. Those who pass the course will transfer into the six-year Medicine course.
University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) Foundation Entry Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery: Open to international students only, the Foundation year will provide you with the skills, knowledge and confidence needed to progress onto to the 5-year Medicine course.
Source: https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/foundation-courses/

You would notice that a lot of these foundaiton years are for students from disadvantaged backgrounds (not sure if they still apply, so do check). From the list above, Manchester and Nottingham seem to be suitable for those who did not initially meet the necessary grade requirements.

You can also easily google "medicine degree foundation year" to obtain the list of courses yourself.

Of course, there are conditions that apply for every foundation year course, so you would need to check the entry requirements of the specific degrees.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
The medic portal is somewhere I would go to for anything related to medical degrees. It's a good website for that sort of information.

The unis that offer foundation years as part of medical degrees include:
Aberdeen University Gateway2Medicine: A 1-year course for Scottish applicants from widening access backgrounds. It guarantees students a place on year 1 of the university’s undergraduate Medicine programme afterwards, as long as they do well during the course and perform satisfactorily in the UCAT and MMI interview.
Bristol University Gateway to Medicine: A widening participation course for students who have the potential to become a Doctor but don’t meet the standard academic entry requirements to apply for the 5-year undergraduate Medicine course.
Dundee University Gateway to Medicine: A 1-year course designed to support you towards the 5-year degree course if you meet relevant criteria. As far as possible, what you study will be tailored to your personal academic needs and aspirations.
Edge Hill University Medicine with Foundation Year: This course is for students from the North West of England who have the potential and aspiration to become Doctors, but whose background means they are unlikely to meet the entry requirements for the 5-year course. You can transfer to the Medicine course if you pass all assessments and meet the course requirements.
Hull York Medical School Medicine with a Gateway Year: A widening participation initiative designed to facilitate access to Medicine for those from underrepresented backgrounds. On successful completion, you’ll automatically progress to their 5-year Medicine course.
Keele University Health Foundation Year for Medicine: A gateway route into Medicine for students from some underrepresented groups. Successful completion of the foundation year allows you to progress to the 5-year degree course.
King’s College London Extended Medical Degree Programme: For students who are studying A-Levels or Access to Medicine at a non-selective state school, or who are participants of Realising Opportunities across England. You’ll receive an introduction to medical study with additional support in your first two years.
Lancaster University Medicine and Surgery with a Gateway Year: For candidates who are not eligible to apply directly to the Medicine and Surgery degree programme, and who fulfill widening participation criteria or have significant mitigating circumstances. The foundation year will prepare you to progress onto the Medicine course.
Leeds University Gateway Year to Medicine: A course specifically for students from widening participation backgrounds hoping to take their first steps into Medicine. You’ll move onto the 5-year Medicine course if you reach the grades required and complete the Gateway year.
Leicester University Medicine with Foundation Year: For students who wish to study Medicine at the University of Leicester, but whose background makes it less likely that they will be able to meet the entry requirements of the 5-year course. You’ll progress to the Medicine course once you complete the Foundation year.
Liverpool University Foundation to Human and Animal Health Professions (Medicine): A year zero foundation programme, designed for mature students who have been out of formal education for some time or who have taken non-traditional qualifications. It leads to access onto a Medicine and Surgery MBChB programme.
Manchester University Medicine with Foundation Year: This allows you to spend a year preparing for the 5-year Medicine course if you don’t have the appropriate science qualifications for direct entry.
Nottingham University Medicine with a Foundation Year: For students who want to study Medicine but don’t meet the typical entry requirements. The Foundation year gives you the benefit of small class sizes, and upon successful completion of the year, you will transition into the standard Medicine course structure.
Norwich Medical School (UEA) Medicine with a Gateway Year: This Foundation course is designed for students whose circumstances or educational opportunities have prevented them from realising their academic potential. The Gateway year will equip you with the academic skills and knowledge needed to progress onto the 5-year Medicine course.
Plymouth University Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery with Foundation: An alternative entry route into Medicine for able students whose education has been impacted by adversity. Students successfully completing the Foundation year will enrol directly onto the 5-year Medicine course.
Southampton University Medicine BM6 Widening Participation: This course is designed to widen participation in Medicine. For example, you may be able to apply if you or your parent/guardian receive benefits, or if you are the first in your family to apply for a higher education course.
St Andrews University Gateway to Medicine: This course is designed to promote the uptake of higher education, specifically the study of Medicine, among groups that are traditionally under-represented at university. It is open to students resident in Scotland. Those who pass the course will transfer into the six-year Medicine course.
University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) Foundation Entry Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery: Open to international students only, the Foundation year will provide you with the skills, knowledge and confidence needed to progress onto to the 5-year Medicine course.
Source: https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/foundation-courses/

You would notice that a lot of these foundaiton years are for students from disadvantaged backgrounds (not sure if they still apply, so do check). From the list above, Manchester and Nottingham seem to be suitable for those who did not initially meet the necessary grade requirements.

You can also easily google "medicine degree foundation year" to obtain the list of courses yourself.

Of course, there are conditions that apply for every foundation year course, so you would need to check the entry requirements of the specific degrees.

Thank you 😊

Quick Reply

Latest