The Student Room Group

A-level results format?

Just a quick q. to ask whether when we get our A-level results they are the same as previous AS and A-level results we have recieved in that they give individual unit scores and thus there is much sweaty nervous fumbling with the calculator, or do they simply give a final grade for the a-level thus putting u out of ure misery quickly?

Scroll to see replies

You get a total UMS mark and grade for each subject, eg 496/600 A (a) followed by all your module marks underneath, eg 81/90. Edexcel also do the same thing for AS if your grade wasn't originally cashed in, which it can't have been if you only got individual marks last year, and they also give you your module marks and grades for all new modules, eg 65/90 B (b). AQA give you the total UMS mark and grade for each subject, eg 437 B followed by all your module marks and module grades underneath, eg 74/90 A, with the new modules in bold. They do the same for AS. That's probably really confusing, so I'll use 2 of my subjects (I did my A2s last year, by the way) as examples:

Edexcel
GCE Advanced French 512/600 A (a)
Unit 1 90/90
Unit 2 115/120
Unit 3 85/90
Unit 4 58/90
Unit 5 63/90
Unit 6 101/120

GCE Advanced Subsidiary French 290/300 A (a)
Unit 1 90/90
Unit 2 115/120
Unit 3 85/90

Unit 4 58/90 C (c)
Unit 5 63/90 B (b)
Unit 6 101/120 A (a)

AQA
GCE Advanced Sociology 517 A
Unit 3 90/90 A
Unit 5 63/90 B
Unit 1 105/105 A
Unit 2 105/105 A
Unit 4 86/90 A
Unit 6 68/120 D

(I don't know why AQA do the modules in such a random order!)

So basically you'll know your overall grade straight away. Hope that clears things up a bit :smile:
Reply 2
kellywood_5
You get a total UMS mark and grade for each subject, eg 496/600 A (a) followed by all your module marks underneath, eg 81/90. Edexcel also do the same thing for AS if your grade wasn't originally cashed in, which it can't have been if you only got individual marks last year, and they also give you your module marks and grades for all new modules, eg 65/90 B (b). AQA give you the total UMS mark and grade for each subject, eg 437 B followed by all your module marks and module grades underneath, eg 74/90 A, with the new modules in bold. They do the same for AS. That's probably really confusing, so I'll use 2 of my subjects (I did my A2s last year, by the way) as examples:

Edexcel
GCE Advanced French 512/600 A (a)
Unit 1 90/90
Unit 2 115/120
Unit 3 85/90
Unit 4 58/90
Unit 5 63/90
Unit 6 101/120

GCE Advanced Subsidiary French 290/300 A (a)
Unit 1 90/90
Unit 2 115/120
Unit 3 85/90

Unit 4 58/90 C (c)
Unit 5 63/90 B (b)
Unit 6 101/120 A (a)

AQA
Unit 3 90/90 A
Unit 5 63/90 B
Unit 1 105/105 A
Unit 2 105/105 A
Unit 4 86/90 A
Unit 6 68/120 D

(I don't know why AQA do the modules in such a random order!)

So basically you'll know your overall grade straight away. Hope that clears things up a bit :smile:

:dito: At A2, the final grade for each of your subjects will be printed on your results slip(s), so you won't need a calculator :wink: .
Reply 3
I'm slightly lost with the concept of 'cashing in' AS grades. Does that mean that the grade from the AS I did not carry on to A2 will give me the number UCAS tariff points it equates to (in this case a grade D at AS as 30 points)?
Wilko_777
I'm slightly lost with the concept of 'cashing in' AS grades. Does that mean that the grade from the AS I did not carry on to A2 will give me the number UCAS tariff points it equates to (in this case a grade D at AS as 30 points)?

It just means that you've accepted the grade and got a certificate for it, so yes, a certified D at AS counts for 30 UCAS points, but obviously it's up to the uni whether they accept this as part of their offer or not.
Reply 5
So with AS results i'll need to take a calculator with me n work it out, tht snds frustrating :s-smilie:
At AS my school did its own cover sheet listing grades so I didn't have to work it all out. At A2 my (sporadic) results were as below.
And if you're really interested,
My AS grades are cashed in, does this mean the grade will appear on the sheet or will I still need to work it out?
If they're cashed in then the grade will appear on the sheet with total UMS.
Lol....I see....This is a result format for Edexcel.

I hope you to understand that the format of the result should be like that. A grade appears for A-level subject with 6 UMS marks. Note that all UMS marks are converted to 100 marks instead of 60, 70 or 75...Finally you can estimate what grades you will get.

As a result, I have prepared myself I will get higher grades as shown ...How about others?
Reply 11
kellywood_5
AQA
Unit 3 90/90 A
Unit 5 63/90 B
Unit 1 105/105 A
Unit 2 105/105 A
Unit 4 86/90 A
Unit 6 68/120 D

Are they actually shown in bold on the sheet, or did you just do that to emphasise the weird order? Pedantic question I know, but I'm so anxious. :p:
Reply 12
just wondering...

when you get your A2 results is your AS subject that you dropped with them. i know its not important but just curious.

thanks

:biggrin:
Reply 13
mc4263
just wondering...

when you get your A2 results is your AS subject that you dropped with them. i know its not important but just curious.

thanks

:biggrin:

No, you only get the results for the exams which you took in this examination series, i.e. June 2007. So any AS subjects you did and dropped won't appear on your A2 results slip. However, your AS marks for all your A2 subjects will be included :smile: .
Reply 14
Thelfo
Are they actually shown in bold on the sheet, or did you just do that to emphasise the weird order? Pedantic question I know, but I'm so anxious. :p:

The ones in bold are the modules you sat in June.
Reply 15
Can anyone enlighten me as to what the term "cashing in" means please????

[edit] It's okay i've found a thread on it. AFAIK it means that you get seperate qualifications/certificates for AS-Level .......right????
Reply 16
Nichrome
The ones in bold are the modules you sat in June.

I know that. My question was whether they're bold on the actual results slip, or if Kellywood did it to emphasise the strange order they're put in.
Reply 17
Nabster_88
Can anyone enlighten me as to what the term "cashing in" means please????

[edit] It's okay i've found a thread on it. AFAIK it means that you get seperate qualifications/certificates for AS-Level .......right????

If you 'cash in' your modules, it's basically like putting a jelly in the fridge to set. Once you've done it, that makes your final grade, whilst if you don't cash them in, you can resit individual modules. Most places don't actually bother cashing in your AS grades until the end when they cash in the A2s, since you may want to still retake AS modules in the second year.
Reply 18
The results sheet weill list individual module marks and titles. They will be calculated at the top of the sheet. There will be a total mark and grade for each qualification. There are no grade boundaries on the back of the OCR sheet, but they are on the AQA ones. These boundaries are the same every year though, so you could print them off and take them with you if you like, but your school will probably have a copy.

Hope you get the results you are hoping for

Good Luck!
Reply 19
Thelfo
I know that. My question was whether they're bold on the actual results slip, or if Kellywood did it to emphasise the strange order they're put in.

Nichrome did answer your question; it's just you misinterpreted his comment :rolleyes: . He meant that they are written in bold on the actual results slip, and the reason they are written in bold is because they are for the exams you've just sat in the most recent examination series.

Latest