The Student Room Group

If God exists, then who created HIM? HE DOESN'T EXIST!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SunnysideSea
A deity is in principle a necessary being - that the material world is contingent suggests the need for a necessary being. The only way around this is to show that the universe itself is necessary. Yet you are completely unable to do this.

Indeed and this deity must surely be non other than Allah - "the creator and sustainer of the universe"?
Original post by Good bloke
Don't be silly. The Greeks, Romans and Norsemen had dozens of deities, none of which were necessary.

You are choosing to define your deity as necessary, in order to justify claiming it is a creator god. That is all. If you can do that for a deity you can do it for a universe.

Original post by Emperor Trajan
Indeed and this deity must surely be non other than Allah - "the creator and sustainer of the universe"?

Really? This is rather silly. You both know full well I was referring to the Abrahamic God.

It is not that God is defined as necessary, but that a necessary being is required. This cannot be the universe, or anything physical. Hence it must be something non-physical. The argument starts with the need for necessary existence, and finds God. Not the other way around.
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't be silly. The Greeks, Romans and Norsemen had dozens of deities, none of which were necessary.

You are choosing to define your deity as necessary, in order to justify claiming it is a creator god. That is all. If you can do that for a deity you can do it for a universe.

The existence of a necessary being is inferred from the contingency of the universe; no one is defining anything into necessary existence, except you.

Provide an argument for the necessity of the universe. Stop misrepresenting arguments like an amateur. This is highly embarrassing.
Guys... I have something to reveal:

Spoiler

Original post by SunnysideSea
Really? This is rather silly. You both know full well I was referring to the Abrahamic God.

It is not that God is defined as necessary, but that a necessary being is required. This cannot be the universe, or anything physical. Hence it must be something non-physical. The argument starts with the need for necessary existence, and finds God. Not the other way around.

Presumably referring to Allah and not the false and flawed trinitarian God?
Original post by Emperor Trajan
Presumably referring to Allah and not the false and flawed trinitarian God?

SunnysideSea's a Christian.
Original post by blah3210
The existence of a necessary being is inferred from the contingency of the universe; no one is defining anything into necessary existence, except you.

Provide an argument for the necessity of the universe. Stop misrepresenting arguments like an amateur. This is highly embarrassing.

I think you are defining your god as necessary, from the argument of Aquinas.

Aquinas' argument makes the usual unproven stipulation Nothing can come from nothing but then proceeds to make the usual unjustified and self-serving exception except an ever-present deity.

All such arguments have no value: if convenient exceptions have to made for deities exceptions can be made for universes and, anyway, nothing can come from nothing is not something I necessarily (hehe) agree with (as quantum theory clouds, to say the least, the issue).
Probably really late to the party but whatever :tongue: everything that has an effect has a cause, every cause also has a cause, this until you get to God who is the first cause. This is called causation. (Cause no longer sounds like a real word to me)
God according to hinduism always existed and always will continue to exist, the same applied to the soul. It has never been created and can never be destroyed. Hard to understand, but God is beyond the realm of time.

The soul essentially moves from body to body based on it's deeds in this life and past lives, whatever happens in your life was your own making, you have no one to blame but yourself. However, don't lose hope! Whatever is happening can easily be rectified, a pauper can turn into a prince in a second, same as a prince can turn into a pauper as well.

The soul is on a journey of perfection, burning old karma and creating new karma. As they say in the great bhagavad gita, there is no great purifier in this world like knowledge. "As the blazing fire reduces wood to ashes, so the fire of self knowledge reduces karma to ashes". People create karma because of ignorance, they think they are the doer and they are god, this ego and arrogance leads to their destruction and the people around them.

"You have the right to perform your prescribed duty, but you are not entitled to the fruits of action. Never consider yourself to be the cause of the results of your activities and never be attached to not doing your duty". Another great quote from the gita outlying, work without desire of reward doesn't create karma. If you work, with no expectations, you will find the true meaning of life.

My two cents.
I was referring to the different physical interpretations of QM, such as these;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Broglie%E2%80%93Bohm_theory#Derivations

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copenhagen_interpretation

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

Im not sure it's right to say something has come into existed from nothing if energy is borrowed.

Also, correct me if im wrong? The vacuum state is the ground state field of quantum field theory. It is a system of zero particles, but it is a system with a very complicated structure. Kanitscheider once described the process like this; "a causal process leading from a primordial substratum with a rich physical structure to a materialized substratum of the vacuum. Admittedly this process is not deterministic, it includes that weak kind of causal dependence peculiar to every quantum mechanical process". (Note here, he argues a weak causal connection even on indeterministic interpretations of quantum mechanics).

Or another way to describe the physical structure of the quantum vacuum is by David Albert;

"The true relativistic-quantum-field-*theoretical equivalent to there not being any physical stuff at all isn’t this or that particular arrangement of the fields what it is (obviously, and ineluctably, and on the contrary) is the simple absence of the fields!"

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/books/review/a-universe-from-nothing-by-lawrence-m-krauss.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
In the post I replied to you offered a critique of their arguments. I merely pointed out that there is a plank in your eye.

Still pretty vague.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which argument from Aquinas? Did you even read the link?

Aquinas' argument makes the usual unproven stipulation Nothing can come from nothing

Does he? Putting aside the fact that he spends dozens of pages proving just that elsewhere, what does that have to do with this particular argument? Do you realise this is not a kalam cosmological argument?

but then proceeds to make the usual unjustified and self-serving exception except an ever-present deity.

You don't know what you're talking about. If you're going to assert there's special pleading involved, you need to show WHY you reject the logical inference that leads to the conclusion you don't like. Aquinas himself takes hundreds of pages to PROVE that the necessary being must have the qualities of a attributes monotheistic God.

All such arguments have no value: if convenient exceptions have to made for deities exceptions can be made for universes and, anyway, nothing can come from nothing is not something I necessarily (hehe) agree with (as quantum theory clouds, to say the least, the issue).

Look, if you don't want to engage with the actual arguments, that's fine. You don't have to read any of the literature that, imo, refutes your silly objections. But why come in with half-baked objections and attack strawmen? Who mentioned quantum theory? What relevance does it have on metaphysical investigations?

Here, an atheist physicist/philosopher refutes the quantum theory objection: mobile.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/books/review/a-universe-from-nothing-by-lawrence-m-krauss.html

Aquinas' argument makes the usual unproven stipulation Nothing can come from nothing but then proceeds to make the usual unjustified and self-serving exception except an ever-present deity.

"The usual unproven stipulation Nothing can come from nothing"? Surely you mean "the most successful ontological commitment that was a guiding line of research since Epicurus and Lucretius".

Unless you mean "unproven" in the trivial sense in which it would apply to all basically all knowledge outside of maths and logic.

Also, ignoring the question begging "unjustified and self-serving exception" that is argued for God, *how* do you argue the universe can be afforded the same exceptions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also, the paper you were linked is for a Leibnizian cosmological argument. Its concerns itself with explanations rather the causal principle. The former strongly implies the latter, but a rejection of the latter does not affect the former. I'd say the only way someone can affirm QM affects the causal principle is to rely on a number of assumptions (a realist interpretation as opposed to a instrumentalist, then an indeterministic physical interpretation as opposed to a deterministic one, and then finally a very crude "billiard ball' and deterministic theory of causation). But when looking at violating the PSR, QM is of no help. For a violation of the PSR would entail a brute fact, something simply synonymous with being unintelligible. Virtual particle fluctuations are far from unintelligible.

This is different from Aquinas' arguments insofar as of the first 3 ways (which are cosmological arguments) arguably the first 2 rely on a causal principle as opposed to the PSR (though Aquinas would have accepted the PSR, albeit a scholastic rather than rationalist version).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194
Original post by hateme
Atheist here
What started the big bang, what was there to create the big bang?

Could be a black hole in the multiverse, there are literally about 10 theories you could choose from as a back story for the big bang.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Whitewell
"The usual unproven stipulation Nothing can come from nothing"? Surely you mean "the most successful ontological commitment that was a guiding line of research since Epicurus and Lucretius".

Unless you mean "unproven" in the trivial sense in which it would apply to all basically all knowledge outside of maths and logic.

Also, ignoring the question begging "unjustified and self-serving exception" that is argued for God, *how* do you argue the universe can be afforded the same exceptions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't. Again, we come back to I don't know and I am not afraid to say so, but cannot accept superstition.
Original post by Whitewell
Also, the paper you were linked is for a Leibnizian cosmological argument. Its concerns itself with explanations rather the causal principle. The former strongly implies the latter, but a rejection of the latter does not affect the former. I'd say the only way someone can affirm QM affects the causal principle is to rely on a number of assumptions (a realist interpretation as opposed to a instrumentalist, then an indeterministic physical interpretation as opposed to a deterministic one, and then finally a very crude "billiard ball' and deterministic theory of causation). But when looking at violating the PSR, QM is of no help. For a violation of the PSR would entail a brute fact, something simply synonymous with being unintelligible. Virtual particle fluctuations are far from unintelligible.

This is different from Aquinas' arguments insofar as of the first 3 ways (which are cosmological arguments) arguably the first 2 rely on a causal principle as opposed to the PSR (though Aquinas would have accepted the PSR, albeit a scholastic rather than rationalist version).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your author's own conclusion is:

The cosmological argument faces the Glendower, Regress, Taxicab and Gap Problems. Cosmological arguments using a sufficiently comprehensive Causal Principle or an appropriate Principle of Sufficient Reason are able to overcome the Regress and Taxicab objections. The Glendower Problem of justifying the explanatory principle is an important one. However, in recent years, a number of arguments for such explanatory principles, as well as weaker versions of these principles still sufficient for the purposes of the cosmological argument, have been produced. There is, of course, still much room for research here: for examining arguments for or against the relevant explanatory principles, and for trying to produce cosmological arguments using yet weaker principles.
What contemporary analytic philosophers have not sufficiently worked on, and what is perhaps the most promising avenue for future research, is the Gap Problem. There are both inductive and deductive approaches there. The deductive ones that are currently known proceed through exciting metaphysical territory of independent interest. The metaphysics of existence/essence composition involved in Aquinas’ bridging of the gap is fascinating, and the axiom that the perfections of the effect must be found in the cause is one that needs further exploration, both in connection with the cosmological argument, as well as in connection with emergentist theories of mind.

which tells us he isn't happy that his arguments meet all objections, doesn't it?

Of course, you are assuming that metaphysics has any relation to the real world, which is by no means certain. I doubt it, and many scientists and philosophers agree with me. But, then the search for philosophical truth (as opposed to truth) needn't concern itself with reality and empiricism.
Your author's own conclusion is:

The cosmological argument faces the Glendower, Regress, Taxicab and Gap Problems. Cosmological arguments using a sufficiently comprehensive Causal Principle or an appropriate Principle of Sufficient Reason are able to overcome the Regress and Taxicab objections. The Glendower Problem of justifying the explanatory principle is an important one. However, in recent years, a number of arguments for such explanatory principles, as well as weaker versions of these principles still sufficient for the purposes of the cosmological argument, have been produced. There is, of course, still much room for research here: for examining arguments for or against the relevant explanatory principles, and for trying to produce cosmological arguments using yet weaker principles.
What contemporary analytic philosophers have not sufficiently worked on, and what is perhaps the most promising avenue for future research, is the Gap Problem. There are both inductive and deductive approaches there. The deductive ones that are currently known proceed through exciting metaphysical territory of independent interest. The metaphysics of existence/essence composition involved in Aquinas’ bridging of the gap is fascinating, and the axiom that the perfections of the effect must be found in the cause is one that needs further exploration, both in connection with the cosmological argument, as well as in connection with emergentist theories of mind.

which tells us he isn't happy that his arguments meet all objections, doesn't it?

Of course, you are assuming that metaphysics has any relation to the real world, which is by no means certain. I doubt it, and many scientists and philosophers agree with me. But, then the search for philosophical truth (as opposed to truth) needn't concern itself with reality and empiricism.

Listen, i understand its large paper and you're not expected to sit down and make sure you have a complete grasp of all the issues before you reply, but reading the last paragraph hardly suffices to show even the outline of the discussion.

First, even he admits that two problems have been solved, regarding what he calls the glendower problem (which simply means justifying the PSR), he argues for such a strong conclusion (essentially a huge reductio ad absurdum along with actual entailment from the best theories of modality) that it cannot coherently be denied consistently. It's not that he thinks the general argument cannot answer all the objections, it's that he wants weaker versions of the principle to be able to succeed as well (he had been working on a weaker version since the early 2000's until this was published) for other reasons, and thinks the different *types* of PSR have varying strengths with regards to being a neccessary principle (he isnt giving a single argument in this paper but going through the umbrella of arguments which come under the Leibnizian sort).

The only problem which is one that hasnt adequately been addressed is what he calls the Gap Problem. But that needs to be put into context. First, it doesn't mean the argument is false in anyway but restricts how much can be concluded, second he even shows in the article how *some* of the Gap problem is breached, so it does answer the objection somewhat, and third, the Leibnizian version has the worst answer to this objection (probably because of its continental rationalist background) when compared to other cosmological arguments. He even alludes to one of the ways Aquinas addresses the problem in his 5 Ways as a pointer for further research. The take away point is that it still has work do for stronger conclusions and for its primary principle to become even stronger in different versions, not that it isnt a strong argument.

Too long a post already, so briefly, perhaps 50 years ago you would be right in saying "I doubt it, and many scientists and philosophers agree with me" regarding metaphysics. That isn't the case today, ironically, the revival is in no small part to the fact that QM raises questions about reality that empiricism cannot in principle answer. The argument that metaphysics doesnt reveal reality has always suffered from being self defeating and hasnt gained any traction since the 1940's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't. Again, we come back to I don't know and I am not afraid to say so, but cannot accept superstition.

What exactly are you being tentative about? The causal principle or whether you can justify the universe as neccessary, like Hume did?

Which didnt answer my point about the trivial aspect. Are you saying 'I don't know' in the same sense in which we could be skeptical and say 'we may have good reason to think change doesnt occur some day' or "we may find out the the law of noncontradiction doesnt work"? Because, to be frank, we do know change occurs and contradictions don't happen. If you think there's any plausibility in finding out the causal principle is actually wrong, as opposed to simple epistemological ignorance, then you should say. If not, it seems to be a metaphysical assumption science takes into its framework and which your empiricism depends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sillylilly999
Probably really late to the party but whatever :tongue: everything that has an effect has a cause, every cause also has a cause, this until you get to God who is the first cause. This is called causation. (Cause no longer sounds like a real word to me)

But God is completely unproven, you're just making a totally baseless assumption that causation has to end with an intelligent, eternal and magical being.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending