The Student Room Group

If God exists, then who created HIM? HE DOESN'T EXIST!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HumzaAsad97
For example, I know that the world is spherical and not flat. Yet if someone asked me to produce evidence at this moment of time for my belief i wouldn't be able to. The calculations have been done, yes. But i just haven't seen them or learnt them. So on my part i putting full faith in that belief.

Trust and faith are not the same thing. Science publishes its evidence and findings for review by anyone. You can conduct your own experiments to verify it. You trust science because it has proved itself to be consistently reliable, but you can test it yourself. Unlike a religion, science is constantly searching for better explanations of reality - it will change its view if the evidence supports it.

Religions supply no credible evidence. You cannot verify them. There are so many incompatible religions that it is obvious that all, or almost all, must be wrong. Why do you think yours is right?

Why don't you have faith that invisible unicorns exist? Why don't you follow all religions?
Not now. But maybe later.

So you have no evidence of an afterlife and therefore no evidence for God. I'm not interested in things that can be verified in principle because literally an infinite number of things can be claimed to exist in this way.
(edited 7 years ago)
That's the whole point. The flaws with strong verificationism is that the evidence is required right now. Whereas with weak verificationism the evidence can be brought to you in principle. So you can look up the evidence. Same as God, he is eschatologically verifiable and so verifiable in principle

wait, which god? there's only one? can we prove there are thousands of gods?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Nonsense. I've heard of those studies and as well as not being peer-reviewed, the most logical explanation is the leaving of air from the lungs and not the soul. To prove something as monumental as a soul you're going to need a lot more than simply claiming the body gets lighter..

Quantum entanglement does not at all prove an afterlife exists..

you have not understood Quantum Mechanics nor Hicks replica theory if you feel that they don't go hand in hand. the very nature of spin and entanglement means that partials can interact irrespective of the distance between them, making Hicks replica theory infact a logical postulate.
Original post by hezzlington
wait, which god? there's only one? can we prove there are thousands of gods?

That's a whole different argument. No point moving to that until settling on what acceptable evidence is
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
So you have no evidence of an afterlife and therefore no evidence for God. I'm not interested in things that can be verified in principle because literally an infinite number of things can be claimed to exist in this way.

Would testimony suffice?
Original post by MattJacks
The body gets lighter moments after death. evidence of a physical soul?

If it were the case, it would be evidence of it getting lighter, nothing else.

Why do so many people think that something that they don't understand is evidence of God? It's just evidence of a lack of understanding.

I get why primitive man made-up gods to explain events, and manipulate others, but, when we have achieved so much understanding of the universe, it is absurd.
Why is it a He?

God of the Gaps there....

We are respectful of your right to express your view, not necessarily your view itself.

I used it loosely. It, she, he, whatever it is. Might not even be a being like many believe.
Original post by MattJacks
you have not understood Quantum Mechanics nor Hicks replica theory if you feel that they don't go hand in hand. the very nature of spin and entanglement means that partials can interact irrespective of the distance between them, making Hicks replica theory infact a logical postulate.

You're making non-sequiturs. Quantum entanglement is the effect on one or more properties of a particle relative to those of its partner. This has absolutely no bearing on the existence of a soul or afterlife.
Reply 589
those same people tell children they are going to suffer for eternity if they don't subscribe to the same set of beliefs.

They'ld only go to 'Hell' if they murder, rape, kill, abuse or more. They certainly wont go to Hell for telling a white lie and having blues about God.
Original post by RogerOxon
Trust and faith are not the same thing. Science publishes its evidence and findings for review by anyone. You can conduct your own experiments to verify it. You trust science because it has proved itself to be consistently reliable, but you can test it yourself. Unlike a religion, science is constantly searching for better explanations of reality - it will change its view if the evidence supports it.

Religions supply no credible evidence. You cannot verify them. There are so many incompatible religions that it is obvious that all, or almost all, must be wrong. Why do you think yours is right?

Why don't you have faith that invisible unicorns exist? Why don't you follow all religions?

The whole framework of science is grounded on faith. It makes a lot of assumptions.
Original post by bubllr
If they murder, rape or steal. No ones going to Hell for telling a white lie.

Doesn't matter how severe the sin is, you still go to Hell regardless if you don't accept Jesus/God or whatever the requirements are.

Equally, you can be a rapist, thief and murderer and stilll get into Heaven.
The whole framework of science is grounded on faith. It makes a lot of assumptions.

Name one.
Would testimony suffice?

From someone who has supposedly died? Anecdotal evidence is among the weakest kind of evidence so probably not. Even people who have so-called NDEs report having experienced different gods and afterlives which to me is pretty obvious evidence that those hallucinations are dependent on the person's prior beliefs as not all of those experiences can be true.
Name one.

That this world is real, rather than something out of the matrix...
That this world is real, rather than something out of the matrix...

No, it doesn't make that assumption. Science models what we observe - it doesn't claim that it's 'real', whatever that means.
Original post by bubllr
They'ld only go to 'Hell' if they murder, rape, kill, abuse or more. They certainly wont go to Hell for telling a white lie and having blues about God.

Both Islam and Christianity state that something as simple as not believing in Allah or Jesus as God respectively will send you to hell.
Reply 597
Doesn't matter how severe the sin is, you still go to Hell regardless if you don't accept Jesus/God or whatever the requirements are.

Equally, you can be a rapist, thief and murderer and stilll get into Heaven.

1. If they dont accept God or Jesus, then they have nothing to worry about, cause there wont be a Hell!
2. I don't know if you've learnt this in school, but, the idea is that God forgives... The bible says homosexuality is wrong, so will all gays go to Hell? Will all children telling white lies about them not eating the biscuits go to Hell?

Read the Bible
No, it doesn't make that assumption. Science models what we observe - it doesn't claim that it's 'real', whatever that means.

Surely it takes what we 'observe' to be real?

Don't pretend that is some kind of blind faith, it isn't. The evidence of our own senses shows this world is probably real. Superfluous "matrix" claims as well as being unfalsifiable, violate Occam's Razor. Ultimately these basic assumptions will have to be made otherwise you wouldn't be able to say anything about anything, which is patently ridiculous.

Science is primarily based on evidence which can be tested and reproduced and that's why it has no equal when it comes to describing and manipulating the physical world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending