The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
RK89
Has it gone too far (sorry about the source):
Clicky!
Discuss.

I don't know if it has here, but in the USA, I think 'Affirmative Action' often goes far too far.

Oh, and in relation to the article, legally, only you can decide what your ethnic identity is, so there's an easy solution to her problem. :p:

You have to laugh at one of the reader's responses, typically calm and rational, as we all know Daily Mail readers are :laugh: ...

A Daily Mail reader
This is a disgraceful position to be in. Has this country gone completely and of the effin wall mad?

Things have to change. This is a farce and the worst sort of betrayal to the men that have died in ww1 and 2 to protect our way of life. Not only are our rights as British people being sold down the river to the EU, but we are being hijacked in our own country by this rubbish way of thinking.

Enough is enough. I will be voting for the BNP so that hopefully someone will protect, preserve and rectify these heinous crimes against the indigenous people of our country.

-The time for UK citizens to tolerate the self-serving, lab-con-lib pact of cowardice is over. The tax sucking MP's who have led us down this path must be brought to book and charged with treason, jailed and have all their assets stripped from them.

If you are British, you know I speak the truth and if it is too hard for you to stomach, then emigrate.
Time to take action and fight.

- Giles, Aldershot, Hants
Reply 2
Yes definately! Any kind of discrimination is wrong
Reply 3
That's outrageous.

I hate positive descrimination of any sort. How are people ever going to be seen as equal to each other if people keep getting categorised according to race!?!
Agamemnon
I don't know if it has here, but in the USA, I think 'Affirmative Action' often goes far too far.

Oh, and in relation to the article, legally, only you can decide what your ethnic identity is, so there's an easy solution to her problem. :p:

So we should have to lie and say that we are welsh then? Suppose I was an employer, and i had an amount of ethnic minority workers above the national average, would it be acceptable to make an advert stating "white english only"? I think not. So why should the reverse be acceptable?
Originally Posted by A Daily Mail reader
This is a disgraceful position to be in. Has this country gone completely and of the effin wall mad?

Things have to change. This is a farce and the worst sort of betrayal to the men that have died in ww1 and 2 to protect our way of life. Not only are our rights as British people being sold down the river to the EU, but we are being hijacked in our own country by this rubbish way of thinking.

Enough is enough. I will be voting for the BNP so that hopefully someone will protect, preserve and rectify these heinous crimes against the indigenous people of our country.

-The time for UK citizens to tolerate the self-serving, lab-con-lib pact of cowardice is over. The tax sucking MP's who have led us down this path must be brought to book and charged with treason, jailed and have all their assets stripped from them.

If you are British, you know I speak the truth and if it is too hard for you to stomach, then emigrate.
Time to take action and fight.

- Giles, Aldershot, Hants
:rofl: I wonder how this guy is intending to fight... As an aside, I think i might have to start a flame war on there when i next get bored.
Reply 6
RK89
So we should have to lie and say that we are welsh then? Suppose I was an employer, and i had an amount of ethnic minority workers above the national average, would it be acceptable to make an advert stating "white english only"? I think not. So why should the reverse be acceptable?

There's usually a 'White British' option on these kind of things, that's always what I fill in.

I don't agree with that kind of racial discrimination, it should be, best person should get the job. However, I was just joking that technically, only you can decide your ethnicity, you decide when you respond to the census or fill in these forms.
Agamemnon
There's usually a 'White British' option on these kind of things, that's always what I fill in.

I don't agree with that kind of racial discrimination, it should be, best person should get the job. However, I was just joking that technically, only you can decide your ethnicity, you decide when you respond to the census or fill in these forms.

I always fill it in two. As for best people getting jobs, i assume you know about the peter principle and networking. People of ethnic minorities are discriminated against by and large within the system, but what the environment agency did went way too far.
Reply 8
It's not like it's just the EA is it.
Renal
It's not like it's just the EA is it.

No, its almost everyone these days. Asides from the firms that try their utmost to avoid employing people from minorities.
Reply 10
Wait Wait...Scottish and Welsh are 'ethnic minorities' now? What a load of hogwash, their are 6 million scots ffs. They also seem to do pretty well for themselves, look at their representation in government :p:.

*Waits on various people coming to say not only was it justified, but that it didn't go far enough, those English dogs should have been shot! Replace the barbarous crackers!*
Reply 11
Assuming that was reported in a fair and unbiased fashion then that is wrong.
Unfortunately, it's the Daily Mail.
Poica

It still has to be factually correct, otherwise the EA would sue.
Reply 13
Poica

No, no, I won't have this unwarranted criticism of the Daily Mail! :mad:

They have been giving out some great DVDs and CDs lately! You even get the paper free with them! :biggrin:
Agamemnon
No, no, I won't have this unwarranted criticism of the Daily Mail! :mad:

They have been giving out some great DVDs and CDs lately! You even get the paper free with them! :biggrin:

Not to mention they did a nice advert, the ending was a bit of an anti-climax though.
Reply 15
Poica

Ahh, the old 'it's the daily mail, so I don't have to listen' get-out. Sadly, the Guardian never reports on this kind of thing does it? Far too busy telling us how **** we were before all our enlightened ethnic brothers showed up to educate us (mainly on how ****e we were and are). How about judging the article, as an article, rather than upon the paper in which it was put?
Reply 16
tehjonny
Ahh, the old 'it's the daily mail, so I don't have to listen' get-out. Sadly, the Guardian never reports on this kind of thing does it? Far too busy telling us how **** we were before all our enlightened ethnic brothers showed up to educate us (mainly on how ****e we were and are). How about judging the article, as an article, rather than upon the paper in which it was put?

No the Guardian doesn't report on this kind of thing. Neither does the Times or the Telegraph. Because they're broadsheets and don't report sensationalism.
To judge anything you have to judge where it comes from.
Zoecb
That's outrageous.

I hate positive descrimination of any sort. How are people ever going to be seen as equal to each other if people keep getting categorised according to race!?!

+1, exactly what i was going to say
Poica
No the Guardian doesn't report on this kind of thing. Neither does the Times or the Telegraph. Because they're broadsheets and don't report sensationalism.
To judge anything you have to judge where it comes from.

The times does, read Rod Liddles columns etc. The guardian follows said positve discrimination practises, so they would really report on them wouldnt they. And the telegraph, i dont read.
Who gives a ****? So she didn't get a ****ing job, big deal.

Latest

Trending

Trending