The Student Room Group

Work Experience

Right, so I want to be a humanitarian when i'm older, no need to explain why. Obv. I like to help people but I want to do so on a global (or a 'tad' larger) scale than at the moment. (Should be a suffice enuff reason to give.)
My question is, (although some would say im wasting my time here), do u think I should volunteer from now, and if so where?
I already found some information from MV about volunteering at the Citizens Advice Bureau, and it seems ok, if not a tad boring. Also, I thought about volunteering for Oxfam too.
Do you think this is sufficient?

<sulks!> All the Medics get help.... I NEED SOME!!!! :tongue: lol!

<fixes up> any advice truley appreciated.

DIAMOND.
BlAcK dIaMoNd
Right, so I want to be a humanitarian when i'm older, no need to explain why. Obv. I like to help people but I want to do so on a global (or a 'tad' larger) scale than at the moment. (Should be a suffice enuff reason to give.)
My question is, (although some would say im wasting my time here), do u think I should volunteer from now, and if so where?
I already found some information from MV about volunteering at the Citizens Advice Bureau, and it seems ok, if not a tad boring. Also, I thought about volunteering for Oxfam too.
Do you think this is sufficient?

<sulks!> All the Medics get help.... I NEED SOME!!!! :tongue: lol!

<fixes up> any advice truley appreciated.

DIAMOND.

Start writing amnesty letters as well?! Not much help, sorry... Oxfam is a start though. Oh and if you take a gap year or whatever, go do something somewhere it's needed.
Reply 2
I reckon you should do a gap-year project in some impoverished country.
Reply 3
i'm doing work experience now....just thought i'd say that :biggrin:
Reply 4
musicman
I reckon you should do a gap-year project in some impoverished country.

The thing is, (grades providing) I should be going to uni this year, so unless I do overseas stuff in the summer, then I may as well start small....So I think anyway.
Reply 5
There's loads of volunteer stuff and if nothing else it looks good on your CV and for when you do your 'proper' stuff.

places you can volunteer

Youth clubs
hospices (everything from making beds to IT work)
animal shelters
gardening / DIY for elderly people.
scouts/guides
samaritans - not just phone lines.
hospital visiting
prison visiting

When my mum had her second mastectomy she had someon come from age concern (she didn't like that bit) for six weeks to do some ironing and house work. As she couldn't do it and my dad's disabled it made a huge difference to them.

for the summer - kids summer camp, particularly for deaf / disabled children.
helper for disabled people on holiday.

You can just ring places and ask, one good place to find work is in the Big Issue.

Latest

Trending

Trending