The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jorav
Hey. Your persistence is amazing. I don't know if I would have had the heart to make it past the 2nd time. You must be extremely passionate about medicine... there are other fields that you can study which will allow you to be in "medicine" such as medical physics , nursing , psychology etc which I'm sure you must have done extensive research on. If you cannot find the same passion for these other fields I suggest doing some " soul searching " Open yourself up to other ideas... maybe you can study linguistics as a bachelors and end up furthering your studies and becoming a speech therapist ! The world of options is out there for you.

Speaking of the world of options why not look elsewhere such as Spain ( try CEU) I think you still have time to apply.

I wish you luck too. Your happiness is the most important :smile:

Hey, thank you so much!

I've always wanted to do medicine, I remember emailing hospitals and GPs at the age of 16 asking for work experience etc, my A levels didn't go to plan which is why I'm in this situation so I did Biochemistry and had an interview in my final year but rejected after that, the interview was at a crazy time during my dissertation, don't think I was in the right frame of mind for one. Then I became a HCA/Phlebotomist for a year and now doing an MSc. I just think its not meant to be for me but I tried whilst I was still young. I don't think I'd want to do similar positions as I'd be constantly reminded of not getting into medicine, but theres loads of other areas to explore anyway. I am gutted but its not the end of the world, I refuse to let it get to me!

Hope your applications are going well :smile:
Original post by nikki79
My BMAT was 17 but I got rejected from BSMS this evening too :frown:

what are your other stats? I have 17.1 but have heard nothing
The people who got offers, what time did they come?
Original post by crystallinedrops
The people who got offers, what time did they come?

They phoned me just before 2pm but came through on track a few days later in evening
Did anyone else get rejected and also get offered alternative courses ?

I've chosen medical neuroscience at Sussex mainly because I wanted to specialize as a neurosurgeon .
How does it all work? Do I have to complete this course in order to get that guaranteed interview for medicine at BSMS? Or is it just a year and then I have the option to transfer ?

This is really my last option although im still waiting on a UCL decision but im not very hopeful.
Original post by Just.DeVonai
Did anyone else get rejected and also get offered alternative courses ?

I've chosen medical neuroscience at Sussex mainly because I wanted to specialize as a neurosurgeon .
How does it all work? Do I have to complete this course in order to get that guaranteed interview for medicine at BSMS? Or is it just a year and then I have the option to transfer ?

This is really my last option although im still waiting on a UCL decision but im not very hopeful.

Hi! I have just graduated from Sussex on the medical neuroscience course. Its fantastic with great content however it doesn't guarantee you an interview at the end of the course (I am currently applying to bsms even though I just finished Sussex). You also cannot transfer after year one. If this is something you're looking in to I would suggest the biomedical science course at Sussex. Actually very similar content to med neuroscience however you have the opportunity to transfer to bsms after first year (although its super competitive) and you get a guaranteed interview as long as you meet the cut offs. Have a look at this link it might help. As far as I'm aware biomed is the only course at Sussex that offers this.

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/interviews/guaranteed-interviews-medicine
Original post by PennyEaton
Hi! I have just graduated from Sussex on the medical neuroscience course. Its fantastic with great content however it doesn't guarantee you an interview at the end of the course (I am currently applying to bsms even though I just finished Sussex). You also cannot transfer after year one. If this is something you're looking in to I would suggest the biomedical science course at Sussex. Actually very similar content to med neuroscience however you have the opportunity to transfer to bsms after first year (although its super competitive) and you get a guaranteed interview as long as you meet the cut offs. Have a look at this link it might help. As far as I'm aware biomed is the only course at Sussex that offers this.

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/interviews/guaranteed-interviews-medicine

Thank You so Much ! This helps alot :smile: I think I'm going to complete the Medical Neuroscience BSc and then at the end decide whether i want to carry on and apply to medicine . I wanted to do Medicine with the hopes of specializing as a neurosurgeon but bmat didnt go so well and so has been the basis of my rejections. The content of the Medical Neuroscience course appeal to my tastes so I think it will be a great place to start. Grow a little , gain some experience and take it slow and steady .

Thanks Again :smile:
Reply 667
I've spoke to BSMS admissions and they said you need approximately 17.5 BMAT score and above to get an interview
Reply 668
Original post by nikki79
I've spoke to BSMS admissions and they said you need approximately 17.5 BMAT score and above to get an interview

My 19.9 is useless because I'm an international student. Yay 🙃 ( I'm still gloomy about being put on hold :frown: )
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nikki79

Cool :smile: thanks for posting that! Any chance they said when they'd be sending out interview invites?
Reply 670
Just wants to ask from those who had the interview at BSMS - what happens on the day when you arrive etc?
Reply 671
Got an interview invite today at 15:45!! :smile:
Original post by daksh
Just wants to ask from those who had the interview at BSMS - what happens on the day when you arrive etc?

You arrive and theres a foyer with a lil cafe that you can get drinks and snacks , sit wait till registration opens , alocated a group and number , mini talk from the admissions guy , then group 1 go to mmi and group 2 go on a tour , then switch and hometime

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interview invite at 16:10 :smile: so happy, BSMS is easily my fave.
Interview invite, not sure when I just checked my email in my break and saw the email so excited, really like BSMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 675
Thank you.

Original post by smilj012.206
You arrive and theres a foyer with a lil cafe that you can get drinks and snacks , sit wait till registration opens , alocated a group and number , mini talk from the admissions guy , then group 1 go to mmi and group 2 go on a tour , then switch and hometime

Posted from TSR Mobile

we don't know what the five stations are right? or anything about the mmi's except they are 10 minutes each?
Interview here too! 15th March :smile:
Original post by Medicine1303
Congrats when is it for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! The 15th of March :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Interview on 15th March too!
Reply 679
Mine is also 15th March- there were no other dates to choose from

Latest

Trending

Trending