Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Should I mention my political beliefs in personal statement Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Im writing my personal statement for a Computer Science course. Now I am heavily involved in UKIP, and have made multiple websites for the Party that have been used in national elections. Would mentioning UKIP in my personal statement harm my chances since most are very left wing and remain.

Honest Answers Please!

Thanks
    -Nick

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't do, but considering you're applying to Universities; probably yes.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Are you political views relevant to the course that you've applied to? Will discussing them and using up space in your PS make your application stand out and increase your chances of an offer?

If the answer to both of these questions is 'no' (and it is, by the way) then no - I wouldn't make a point of mentioning them. Instead, use the word count for more useful things related to the course, your interest in it and why they should offer you a place.

ReputationRep:
    The last thing you want is the reviewer in the admissions team to be heavily against UKIP and their policies. Might lower you chances of acceptance if there are more qualified applicants for a competitive course.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying. It's really difficult for me because most of my experience in web design is for UKIP websites. And I think it would raise many questions if I don't mention what I made them for.

ReputationRep:
    It's not even relevant...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by njharris97)
    Hello,

Im writing my personal statement for a Computer Science course. Now I am heavily involved in UKIP, and have made multiple websites for the Party that have been used in national elections. Would mentioning UKIP in my personal statement harm my chances since most are very left wing and remain.

Honest Answers Please!

Thanks
    -Nick
    I would not recommend it - not just because it's a political party but because it's not hugely relevant. If you want to talk about it just talk about how you've designed websites for major clients but please bear in mind that web design really does not have very much to do with computer science so you definitely do not want to give admissions tutors the impression that you don't actually understand what you're applying for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I would not recommend it - not just because it's a political party but because it's not hugely relevant. If you want to talk about it just talk about how you've designed websites for major clients but please bear in mind that web design really does not have very much to do with computer science so you definitely do not want to give admissions tutors the impression that you don't actually understand what you're applying for.
    Thank You. I will do that.

ReputationRep:
    The web design experience is relevant. Who it is for isn't relevant.

In this regard, talk about all the computer experience you have that is related to ukip but don't mention ukip directly. Just refer to ukip as something like "a cause I believe in" or "a client in the community"

Use language to your advantage to get your point across. Don't mention ukip because it could inspire a bias towards you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
    The web design experience is relevant. Who it is for isn't relevant.

In this regard, talk about all the computer experience you have that is related to ukip but don't mention ukip directly. Just refer to ukip as something like "a cause I believe in" or "a client in the community"

Use language to your advantage to get your point across. Don't mention ukip because it could inspire a bias towards you.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you scared? You've got your country back! Independence!?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    sarcasm intended

ReputationRep:
    Nope!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Honest Answers Please!

Thanks
    -Nick
    2 things:

1. Never mention political beliefs in a personal statement, its not needed.
    2. UKIP...lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1939)
    Why are you scared? You've got your country back! Independence!?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    sarcasm intended
    Ignoring the sarcasm. YEY!!!

Never mention right-wing political beliefs when applying for University.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I think it is quite relevant to some universities which place some emphasis on extra-curriculars. Maybe don't mention the name of the party, but say that you have developed and ran websites for a certain political party.

*In fact, it's VERY relevant given that web dev. is quite important for comp scis.
    (It might not play an important part of the degree, but being a good web developer is a good indicator of programming fluency).
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Web design has zero relevance for a compsci degree.

If you like designing websites try applying for graphic design.

ReputationRep:
    Just say you designed websites for a political party. You don't need to say which one.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your replies. It's all been very useful. Although I should mention that when I said web design I include creating such as HTML/CSS/PHP and all that.

Thanks again.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your replies. It's all been very useful. Although I should mention that when I said web design I include creating such as HTML/CSS/PHP and all that.

Thanks again.
    Then make sure that - if you do put it in your statement - you explain it well enough that people know what you mean. Don't just assume that the reader will guess correctly. Make sure everything is explicit so that it says what you want it to say

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.