Philosophy Applicants 2017

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    Thought a philosophy applicants thread might be nice to get up and posted to talk and see who else is applying for the course and when they've got offers etc.

Name/Location: I'm Nathan From Coventry
    GCSE's: 2A* 7A 2B
    AS Level: AAAA in Maths, Biology, Religious Studies & General Studies
    A2 Prediction: A*A*A in Biology, Religious Studies and Maths respectively
    Course Applying For: Philosophy & Theology joint (VV56)
    Universities Applying For: Oxford (Oriel), St Andrews, Durham, Exeter, Birmingham

I'll try to keep updated and see which universities are giving out philosophy offers and add it to edits of this in the future.

Good Luck Everyone!

My Application:
    Oxford- Rejection
    St Andrews- AAA conditional offer
    Durham- Acknowledged
    Exeter- AAB conditional offer
    Birmingham- ABB conditional offer/ unconditional if firmed

Offers being given out:

Birmingham
    Nottingham
    Manchester
    Bristol
    Sheffield
    Southampton
    Newcastle
    Warwick
    UCL
    St Andrews
    KCL
    Exeter

ReputationRep:
    Hello!!

Name/Location: Chris, Lancashire

GCSE's: 6A* 6A

AS Level: AAABC in Maths, English lit, creative writing, chemistry and RS (resitting that though)

A2 Prediction: A*AA in English lit, Religious Studies and Maths

Course: Philosophy & Theology

Universities Applying For: Oxford as well! (but St Peter's), Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham

Good luck to you too 🎈

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Name/Location: Goat, Farm
    GCSE's: 3A* 4A 2B
    AS Level: AAAB in Religious Studies, Politics, English Literature, Maths (not too shabby after having to miss a third of Year 12...)
    A2 Prediction: A*A*A in Religious Studies, Politics, English Literature
    Course Applying For: Philosophy & Politics
    Universities Applying For: Durham, St Andrews, Bristol, Exeter, Manchester

It's so scarily close now, I just want my offers to be in already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx)
    Hello!

Name/Location: Goat, Farm
    GCSE's: 3A* 4A 2B
    AS Level: AAAB in Religious Studies, Politics, English Literature, Maths (not too shabby after having to miss a third of Year 12...)
    A2 Prediction: A*AA in Religious Studies, Politics, English Literature
    Course Applying For: Philosophy & Politics
    Universities Applying For: Durham, LSE, Bristol, Exeter, Manchester

It's so scarily close now, I just want my offers to be in already
    I know, I had 2 emails from St Andrews today and had mini heart attacks when I saw both, doing my nerves no favours at all- especially when my school submitted the application less than a day before the 15th Oct deadline.

(Original post by camusery)
    Hello!!

Name/Location: Chris, Lancashire

GCSE's: 6A* 6A

AS Level: AAABC in Maths, English lit, creative writing, chemistry and RS (resitting that though)

A2 Prediction: A*AA in English lit, Religious Studies and Maths

Course: Philosophy & Theology

Universities Applying For: Oxford as well! (but St Peter's), Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham

Good luck to you too 🎈

Posted from TSR Mobile

I saw on the Theology thread you already have 3 offers, that's crazy man well done. As soon as the weekend is over I'll be checking track like there's no tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NMcG)
    I saw on the Theology thread you already have 3 offers, that's crazy man well done. As soon as the weekend is over I'll be checking track like there's no tomorrow.
    thanks pal, I still can't quite believe it. Every time I get an email from Track I get so nervous it's ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    thanks pal, I still can't quite believe it. Every time I get an email from Track I get so nervous it's ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile
    3 offers already is amazing! well done! when did you apply and what are your offers if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    3 offers already is amazing! well done! when did you apply and what are your offers if you don't mind me asking?
    Thanks so much! I applied on the 28th and it took just over a week to get the first offer through :0 the other two came at the end of this week. no problem, I got these--
    Nottingham: AAB
    Manchester: ABB
    Birmingham: unconditional

... I'm still in total shock about Birmingham, no idea how I did it?! I keep reading it thinking have they made a mistake lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much! I applied on the 28th and it took just over a week to get the first offer through :0 the other two came at the end of this week. no problem, I got these--
    Nottingham: AAB
    Manchester: ABB
    Birmingham: unconditional

... I'm still in total shock about Birmingham, no idea how I did it?! I keep reading it thinking have they made a mistake lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    wow that's incredible! do you know what you want your firm and insurance to be then?

ReputationRep:
    Sent off my application on the 14th for philosophy at Cambridge, Southampton, Hertfordshire, Sheffield, Exeter. Predicted A*A*A in politics, religious studies and maths respectively.
    Already received emails from 3 of them. From what I've read on TSR it should take about a week for a decision to be made on my application. I keep stressing about errors on my ucas though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Otaku98)
    Sent off my application on the 14th for philosophy at Cambridge, Southampton, Hertfordshire, Sheffield, Exeter. Predicted A*A*A in politics, religious studies and maths respectively.
    Already received emails from 3 of them. From what I've read on TSR it should take about a week for a decision to be made on my application. I keep stressing about errors on my ucas though!
    Same, personal statement was a killer for me as I had so much I wanted to write about, just stressing over my written work submission & admissions test now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not gonna lie, I was fairly happy with my personal statement when I sent it off, school seemed pretty pleased, but last week when I had a mock interview through school my interviewer said he didn't like it because there was too much in there? didn't realise that was possible so now I'm a bit anxious about what Oxford will think :s aaand I have no idea what to do for the written work and admissions test either ...

wow that's incredible! do you know what you want your firm and insurance to be then?
    Not a clue (still overwhelmed) probably going to wait until the last minute before I make any decisions :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

Name/Location: Liv from London
    GCSE's: 2A* 2A 4B
    AS Level: B in RS (3 marks of an A) and a C in Politics, v disappointing. B in English mocks.
    A2 Prediction: At the moment it is A*BB, in RS, Politics and English respectively. Looking to get English upped to an A.
    Course Applying For: Philosophy & Theology
    Universities Applying For: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Nottingham and Birmingham.

Good luck everyone, it seems I am a bit of an underdog in terms of predicted grades here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonahfromtonga)
    Hi everyone

Name/Location: Liv from London
    GCSE's: 2A* 2A 4B
    AS Level: B in RS (3 marks of an A) and a C in Politics, v disappointing. B in English mocks.
    A2 Prediction: At the moment it is A*BB, in RS, Politics and English respectively. Looking to get English upped to an A.
    Course Applying For: Philosophy & Theology
    Universities Applying For: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Nottingham and Birmingham.

Good luck everyone, it seems I am a bit of an underdog in terms of predicted grades here.
    Your predictions are still top 10-20% ☺️ I wouldn't worry at all. Plus it's what you do once you get to uni that really matters!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NMcG)
    Thought a philosophy applicants thread might be nice to get up and posted to talk and see who else is applying for the course and when they've got offers etc.

Name/Location: I'm Nathan From Coventry
    GCSE's: 2A* 7A 2B
    AS Level: AAAA in Maths, Biology, Religious Studies & General Studies
    A2 Prediction: A*A*A in Biology, Religious Studies and Maths respectively
    Course Applying For: Philosophy & Theology joint (VV56)
    Universities Applying For: Oxford (Oriel), St Andrews, Durham, Exeter, Birmingham

I'll try to keep updated and see which universities are giving out philosophy offers and add it to edits of this in the future.

Good Luck Everyone!

Offers being given out:

Birmingham
    Nottingham
    Manchester
    Also applying to Oriel for P&T!

Name/Location: Hope from Portsmouth
    GCSE's: 6A*4A
    AS Level: AAB in Religious Studies, Psychology and Biology respectively
    A2 Prediction: A*A*A in RS, Psych and Bio
    Course Applying For: Philosophy & Theology at Oxford, Philosophy everywhere else
    Universities Applying For: Oxford (Oriel), Bristol, Birmingham, UCL, Edinburgh
    Offers: AAA from Bristol, Unconditional from Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hope0livia)
    Also applying to Oriel for P&T!

Name/Location: Hope from Portsmouth
    GCSE's: 6A*4A
    AS Level: AAB in Religious Studies, Psychology and Biology respectively
    A2 Prediction: A*A*A in RS, Psych and Bio
    Course Applying For: Philosophy & Theology at Oxford, Philosophy everywhere else
    Universities Applying For: Oxford (Oriel), Bristol, Birmingham, UCL, Edinburgh
    Offers: AAA from Bristol, Unconditional from Birmingham
    Ayy, how're you prepping for the PHIL test? I'm worried I'll run out of time lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NMcG)
    Ayy, how're you prepping for the PHIL test? I'm worried I'll run out of time lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahah same here, I tried to do the paper on the website timed the other day but ran out, so my teacher's going to write a couple of mock questions for me to have a go at before the 2nd. Apart from that, just frantically reading!
    How about you, are you prepared, cus I know I'm not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hope0livia)
    Ahah same here, I tried to do the paper on the website timed the other day but ran out, so my teacher's going to write a couple of mock questions for me to have a go at before the 2nd. Apart from that, just frantically reading!
    How about you, are you prepared, cus I know I'm not
    I haven't spent too much time thinking about it tbh, I'm going to have a go at the sample over half-term. I think the key is staying on topic & being as concise as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's - 9 A*, 2 A , 1 B
    A Levels - 4 A* ( summer 2016)
    Courses Applying to - P & T Oxford, Philosophy everywhere else.
    Universities applying to - Oxford ( St Peters), Bristol, Exeter, UCL.

Waiting to hear......

ReputationRep:
    Hi

GCSE's: 10A*
    AS Level: AAA in Maths, Further Maths, RS. UMS average: ~93UMS
    A2 Prediction: A*A*A* in Maths, RS and Economics
    Course Applying For: Philosophy
    Universities Applying For: Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Durham, Bristol

Offers: Bristol (last choice)- AAA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocsaway)
    GCSE's - 9 A*, 2 A , 1 B
    A Levels - 4 A* ( summer 2016)
    Courses Applying to - P & T Oxford, Philosophy everywhere else.
    Universities applying to - Oxford ( St Peters), Bristol, Exeter, UCL.

Waiting to hear......
    Why not Philosophy at Cambridge? Are you just extremely attracted to Oxford?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.