The Student Room Group

Interesting facts I picked up in medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by nexttime
Another cool thing: The discovery of using beta blockers to treat haemangiomas i.e. a complete luck finding in a kid being treated for heart failure.

Similar story for viagara...
Rats infected with Toxoplasma gondii are less scared of cats. Some evolution shiz which means that the parasite can go back from its intermediate host (rats) to the definitive host (cats) more efficiently.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1690701/pdf/11007336.pdf

And I only remember cats as the definitive host because of Trainspotting :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
An energy imbalance of +81KCal/day (=one chocolate digestive) would lead to a weight gain of over 4.5 kilograms a year on average. Yet despite most people eating a varied diet every day with an ever-changing energy content and a differing energy expenditure, most people remain in energy balance over the long term and stay a stable weight. Despite the obesity crisis, it's important to recognise that strong regulatory mechanisms for metabolism and energy balance exists and, for most people, work rather well without us ever really considering what a feat that is.

homeostasis
Hi guys I'm not a med student I study physio so am probably not welcome here but I wondered if any of you could explain muscle stretching and 'plastic range'. I can't find that much info on it maybe I need to look harder, have any of you guys done about this. I'm also trying to learn about the opioid system all I know is that c delta fibres stimulate the raphe nucleus and endorphins are released.
Original post by That Bearded Man
So, amidst the very bleak existence of lectures, tutorials and placements where we are required to rote learn muscles, attachments, innervations, syndromes, therapies and other details that soon lose their appeal after we're forced to memorise it for the billionth time, I thought I'd make a lighter thread to remind us that alot of medical physiology, disease or phenomena ARE fascinating.

So, I thought I'd make a thread for current med students to drop in with an interesting fact they picked up related to our course, something not necessarily related to exams, but something you just went "wow, that's amazing"

Aimed at all levels, and feel free to correct.

So, my first little tidbit is that cancer cells, who continually mutate in order to survive, imitate hypoxia, making the local cells think they're hypoxic. They do this so the body secretes VEGF, which your body needs to make new blood vessels. By doing this, cancer cells use VEGF to create its own blood supply and can then use it to grow and metastasise elsewhere.

Or how about this: DNA is fluid like water... And changes all the time! I found that out by watching a dvd about a year ago!
Also (as reading through my notes now) the future antibody therapies (which use animal antibodies) will be coming from.....not rats.....not monkeys....but camels and sharks.

Nanobodies.

Yeah nanobodies are like 10x smaller than human IgG and can usually get higher affinity.

Interestingly with in vitro protein engineering tools (phage display, mRNA display etc) we don't even have to use immunoglobulin-derived scaffolds. Could potentially have any protein normally involved in binding to other proteins, randomise the critical amino acid residues and screen for binding against your target. And I think the KD is several orders of magnitude lower than hybridoma antibodies.

http://www.biochemj.org/content/436/1/1
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ghotay
Sometimes trauma patients with extremely raised intracranial pressures will require a decompressive craniectomy - part of the skull is removed to reduce the pressure on the brain. Sometimes this piece of skull (commonly pretty much a full hemicalvarium) is preserved by placing it in the abdominal wall, to be replaced at a later date.

TL;DR SOMETIMES IF YOU HIT YOUR HEAD REAL BAD THEY TAKE OFF HALF YOUR SKULL AND STICK IT IN YOUR STOMACH FOR SAFEKEEPING

One of the few "surely you're joking" moments I've had in medicine

I remember being told about this in med school and the consultant was talking about a patient who kept going to scratch her head where the bit of skull was missing (can't put in to words the ew feeling this makes me feel, the idea of just poking your own brain). I agree its pretty cool though.
A standard now for 2nd year physiologists, but I remember my shock at realising that giving oxygen to a patient who is hypoxic can be very dangerous for patients with COPD. See the Haldane effect and hypoxic drive (although I believe that's being contested)
Okay, we're currently doing clinical trials on a drug in cancer research (I think it's trialling in melanoma patients) and it actually targets the very same mechanism as TGN1412.

The first human trial on TGN1412 went well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22556736
Reply 29
Okay, we're currently doing clinical trials on a drug in cancer research (I think it's trialling in melanoma patients) and it actually targets the very same mechanism as TGN1412.

The first human trial on TGN1412 went well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22556736

Damn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending