The Student Room Group

choosing medical schools

ive received an offer to study medicine at Leicester and Kent and Medway medical school anyone got any suggestions or advice to which I should pick
Reply 1
I have received an offer to study medicine at Newcastle and Aberdeen. Can anyone help me with the pros and cons pls?
Hi both, this is the University of Aberdeen rep account. Congratulations on your offers! Won't be able to give you specific pros and cons of universities but wanted to come in with some advice on picking between your choices which I hope will be helpful.

I would recommend having a look around this site for students of each of the unis you have offers from to see what the general consensus is. Getting a picture from current students can also be really useful, so seeing what they're saying on site or seeing what services the unis have for you to talk to them could be useful. We have a platform to speak to current students here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/student-life/student-chat.php
It's also worth thinking about the cities and what appeals to you. Do you want to be close to or far away from family, do you want to be in a big or small city, are there things/places in that city that you're interested in or will be good for any hobbies you have; those sorts of factors should definitely be on your mind as well as the actual courses of each of the universities.
Then it would be worth having a look on each of our websites to see what appeals to you about the courses eg. course content, projects you will get to do through your degree, prospects upon graduation, that sort of thing.

I hope this information has been useful and all the best with coming to a decision! If you have any questions you'd like to ask about us @YesKay then please feel free to reply or message us.

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Reply 3
Original post by UoA Enquiry Team
Hi both, this is the University of Aberdeen rep account. Congratulations on your offers! Won't be able to give you specific pros and cons of universities but wanted to come in with some advice on picking between your choices which I hope will be helpful.
I would recommend having a look around this site for students of each of the unis you have offers from to see what the general consensus is. Getting a picture from current students can also be really useful, so seeing what they're saying on site or seeing what services the unis have for you to talk to them could be useful. We have a platform to speak to current students here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/student-life/student-chat.php
It's also worth thinking about the cities and what appeals to you. Do you want to be close to or far away from family, do you want to be in a big or small city, are there things/places in that city that you're interested in or will be good for any hobbies you have; those sorts of factors should definitely be on your mind as well as the actual courses of each of the universities.
Then it would be worth having a look on each of our websites to see what appeals to you about the courses eg. course content, projects you will get to do through your degree, prospects upon graduation, that sort of thing.
I hope this information has been useful and all the best with coming to a decision! If you have any questions you'd like to ask about us @YesKay then please feel free to reply or message us.
- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Thank you
Reply 4
Original post by idk.365
ive received an offer to study medicine at Leicester and Kent and Medway medical school anyone got any suggestions or advice to which I should pick

Are they both asking you the same grades? If so, go with your heart. If not, play safe…
Original post by idk.365

Congratulations on your offers, that is an amazing achievement 🎉👊

I would really suggest going to offer holder days now. Going on to campuses and seeing what the university is like can really give you an opportunity to see if a university is for you. You get to meet current medical students whom can offer you an insight on what it's really like studying there. You will know for certain what university you would like to go when you go to its campus, have you visited Leicester yet? 🤔

Some Facts about our Medicine course:

Our integrated course offers the best of both worlds. Learn through a mix of traditional lectures, small group work and clinical skills training. Our course is truly patient-focused and hands-on, so you'll meet real patients from Year 1.​

The University of Leicester is ranked 2nd in the UK for its world leading research in clinical Medicine (2021 Research Excellent Framework - REF)​

10th for Medicine in Good University Guide 2024.​

We have outstanding facilities, including a large dissecting room where you will learn anatomy through full body dissection on cadavers.

George Davies Centre is the new modern building for Medical students. At £42 million, the centre is the largest investment in medical teaching and applied research by any UK university in the last decade. It has been designed to help to meet the demand for more capable and caring doctors and also to house applied research that will be at the forefront of improved patient safety and the fight against chronic disease.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, hope this helps 🤗

Sumayyah
Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending