The Student Room Group

Pharmacology Applicants 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unicornstar8
I'm not sure if I want to do pharmacy and go through the industrial route or do pharmacology .
Why did you guys not go for pharmacy
And what's the pay like

I don't want to be a pharmacist when I graduate, I know you can probably do other things with Pharmacy but the typical route just seems boring to me. Whereas Pharmacology has more of a natural pathway into research
Original post by mollyjoy1998
I don't want to be a pharmacist when I graduate, I know you can probably do other things with Pharmacy but the typical route just seems boring to me. Whereas Pharmacology has more of a natural pathway into research

Yeah, which I find difficult Because I don't want to be in a situation where I will regret doing pharmacology
New to all this student room business... but I can contribute! Wasn't sure about what I wanted to do in Uni specifically, and one of the courses was MedPharmology in Cardiff. I'm currently on a gap year, just earning money until I start next September. I didn't send of my application until this October but I got an offer two days ago! I'm over the moon, as I was sure I would get a rejection (didn't quite have the grades). I'm 95% sure it's going to be my firm, so I couldn't be happier!
Hello! Was wondering if anyone knows how Glasgow compares to Southampton for pharmacology?
Does anyone know if we/I will have enough free time for a part time job? Not sure whether to quit my current job, because I can transfer to Cardiff where I should be and carry on working for the same company.
Applied to Leeds, UCL, Nottingham then Biomedical Science at Warwick and Sheffield. Got an offer from UCL and Warwick for AAB both for a masters.
Hey!
I've applied to Newcastle, Cardiff, Strathclyde, Portsmouth and Bath - all pharmacology.
I sent my application off in october and almost immediately got word back from portsmouth - now I have all my offers from the universities and have decided to have Newcastle (AAB) for my firm choice and Cardiff (also AAB) as my insurance. Just like you I wanted to do medicine initially but soon found I was really only trying to be like my sister and thought "Nah not gonna enjoy it" but i didn't know any other courses that would interest me until I think it was my chemistry teacher (or maybe one of those online quizzes) introduced me to pharmacology round the time of my AS-level exams and have been interested ever since! I'm also interested in the toxicology of the course as well as carcinogenesis and anti-cancer drugs. Just how we take simple drugs for granted but many dont know what it exactly does interests me so much - plus its always a plus to learn something new.
Original post by flyin-turd
Does anyone know if we/I will have enough free time for a part time job? Not sure whether to quit my current job, because I can transfer to Cardiff where I should be and carry on working for the same company.

I think it depends on how you are as a person and how much work you'll get at uni. Some people can't handle doing a part time job even if they need it. I want to have a part time job so I can afford some more luxuries which I know I won't get from my student loan, I also won't be receiving any money from my parents. But your situation may be different :smile:
Original post by Unicornstar8
Yeah, which I find difficult Because I don't want to be in a situation where I will regret doing pharmacology

Even if you regret choosing the subject, you can (almost) always change in your second year what degree you're looking for. Also, most employers simply look for a graduate who has worked hard and developed necessary skills for a job, even if you have to do an extra course, employers favour graduates of any sort if you want to deviate from this kind of career pathway. There's always post-grad things you can be doing to in order to build up new skills and learn new things :smile:
Hey everyone, (I hope I'm using this right, never used TSR before!)
I've just accepted my offer to study pharmacology at UEA. Has anyone else applied to UEA and then has anyone accepted/ is going to put it as first choice? Emma x
Original post by Emmaclaire4
Hey everyone, (I hope I'm using this right, never used TSR before!)
I've just accepted my offer to study pharmacology at UEA. Has anyone else applied to UEA and then has anyone accepted/ is going to put it as first choice? Emma x

Hey! I got an Offer for Pharmacology at UEA too. I put the offer as my firm. I hope I see you there. lol
Original post by HappyGirl908
Hey! I got an Offer for Pharmacology at UEA too. I put the offer as my firm. I hope I see you there. lol

I'm so glad to find someone else :smile: Have you been to an applicant day? I have and there was only me and one other for pharmacology! I was a little worried that hardly anyone would be applying xx
I'm so glad to find someone else :smile: Have you been to an applicant day? I have and there was only me and one other for pharmacology! I was a little worried that hardly anyone would be applying xx

I couldn't go to the first one because it was on a Wednesday, when have a class so I asked them if I could do it on a Satuday so they suggested me to come on 11th February instead. What did you do in the Applicant day? How was it? What did they say?
Hope you at least found it interesting.

Btw how is Norwich overall?

So sad that there only you and the other person. That must have been really boring and sad :frown:
So sad that there only you and the other person. That must have been really boring and sad :frown:

It was actually really nice as we got a lot of time with the tutors!
As to the actual day, we spent some time meeting the department staff, had an informal 1-to-1 meeting with an tutor, toured the department and then you could go on optional tours. I saw the accommodation and some of the campus.

I haven't actually been into the actual town but the whole campus is lovely and Norwich is meant to be a really nice little city :smile:

I hope you enjoy your applicant day! It really was helpful to me :smile:

Emma x
As to the actual day, we spent some time meeting the department staff, had an informal 1-to-1 meeting with an tutor, toured the department and then you could go on optional tours. I saw the accommodation and some of the campus.

I haven't actually been into the actual town but the whole campus is lovely and Norwich is meant to be a really nice little city :smile:

Emma x

Awww that's soo nice to hear! Props to you!
What were the tutors like? Did you come with your parents? Are planning to stay on the campus or live privately in a flat?

Emma x

Don't worry. I think that if there is fewer students, the tutor will be able to focus on us more. I think that's one of the advantages.
I'm Farah btw, you?
Don't worry. I think that if there is fewer students, the tutor will be able to focus on us more. I think that's one of the advantages.
I'm Farah btw, you?

Nice to meet you Farah! I'm Emma.
Exactly, I like the idea of it being a small course. And I'm going to be uni accommodation, what about you? My parents came with me, but then there were some talks just for students and just for parents so they split us through the day. The tutors that I met were really nice! Very enthusiastic about their subjects but very easy to talk to :smile:
Nice to meet you Farah! I'm Emma.
Exactly, I like the idea of it being a small course. And I'm going to be uni accommodation, what about you? My parents came with me, but then there were some talks just for students and just for parents so they split us through the day. The tutors that I met were really nice! Very enthusiastic about their subjects but very easy to talk to :smile:

I am also thinking of staying in the campus.
That's nice! I'm glad the tutors are good.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello, I'm tempted to not attend my Manchester interview and instead go to the UCL applicant day this wednesday- any thoughts on this? Well done on all your offers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending