The Student Room Group

QTS Professional Skills Test 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bob0079
I did both mine back tp back yesterday and passed them both.

The person in front of me had not done any practice tests and I think the failed.

It really does make a difference just knowing the system.

My advise is to keep doing the practice papers and learning from your mistakes.

With english, just think about the spellings. I had Parliament, Eligable, Thorough cant recall any more. The grammer when you edit the document, just go through and think about capital letters and full stops, brackets and speech marks - check they come in pairs- full stops after the close bracket not before if ending a sentence. Mine was a letter so commas after the name at the end. It does a count telling you how many you have left to find, unlike the practise.

I know I missed a few mental arithmetic Q's just because I had to click the cursor on the box before typing and ran out of time.

You do have waaay more time than you need, so jutst take you time. You only need to be in rush mode with the mental arithmetic, everything else you can take your time with.

Good luck everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! Found your post really helpful How many marks do you need to get in the mental arithmetic section to pass that specific section? Also did you get given a whiteboard or sheet of paper ?
I had a whiteboard. Make sure your pen works.

The pass rate is overall for the test, not per section, so I think you could get all 10 memtal arithmetic wrong and as long as everythong else 100% you would pass, thougu not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bob0079
I had a whiteboard. Make sure your pen works.

The pass rate is overall for the test, not per section, so I think you could get all 10 memtal arithmetic wrong and as long as everythong else 100% you would pass, thougu not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right okay, not bad.
Was hoping I'd get paper so I can jot down some of my timetables... guess I should start memorising them. Which subject did you find most easiest, Numeracy or Literacy?
Hi!
What is the best source of revision regarding both numeracy and literacy?
Some people have an online app? others say practice the online tests.
I'm really struggling and need them out of the way and done with!
Any advice?
Hi,

I'm using books and a website called 'numeracy ready' but I'm also struggling.

There is a website called 'ga numerical' which have 10 papers on and also YouTube clips. I'm also struggling! When's your test?
Original post by phoebelindop1
Hi!
What is the best source of revision regarding both numeracy and literacy?
Some people have an online app? others say practice the online tests.
I'm really struggling and need them out of the way and done with!
Any advice?
Original post by Sarah290292
Hi,

I'm using books and a website called 'numeracy ready' but I'm also struggling.

There is a website called 'ga numerical' which have 10 papers on and also YouTube clips. I'm also struggling! When's your test?

I haven't booked my test yet I need to get confident first!
I've been practising from the gov website but really struggling.

My uni course wants them passed by the 1st August, I just cant see it happening :frown:
You've got loads of time :smile: I need to get them done by end of June and I'm really panicking. Going to sign up to the gA numerical tomorrow. It's £20 for 10 tests and unlimited use. I'm so worried about the maths and I don't think I can do it either 😢 It's really getting me down
Original post by phoebelindop1
I haven't booked my test yet I need to get confident first!
I've been practising from the gov website but really struggling.

My uni course wants them passed by the 1st August, I just cant see it happening :frown:
You are best getting them booked now. As it gets closer to the deadines, spaces will get taken up and you may not be able to sit a test in time.

Get them booked so you have a target to work for. And then you have time to rebook if neccessary.

Do the practise tests online. Go through each test and see where you went wrong.

Do the practise tests again, so you start to remember the way to work out the maths problems and to spot what grammer goes where.

Keep practising - do online word games for spellings and play countdown for the maths bits.

Have some confidence in yourself.
Reply 148
i did a practice test for maths and I keep running out of time on the arithmetic section and i feel so unconfident now :frown: any advice????
Keep doing the practise tests. I did the 3 a few times. Look at the answers for them too. It helps you understand the questions so you can work through them faster. Make sure you click the curser in the box as you read the question. I missed marks because I hadnt, and it wont auto select the box. Write down the key points from the question the first time it is read. You can then start working out as you get clarification from the 2nd read through. Dont let a question get to you. Move on from it and dont be frustrated if you didnt answer or know you answered wrong - that can mess up the next couple too. Keep practising and working on methods to to the maths quicky.
Reply 150
Are your times tables memorised well? I found that knowing most of them off by heart made such a big difference. How long have you been practising? I was like that at first but eventually something clicks and you begin to speed up and get used to it! Try to remember the questions that seem to take you a long time and then practice questions on that (not in timed conditions) until you feel more confident.
Reply 151
Original post by bob0079
Keep doing the practise tests. I did the 3 a few times. Look at the answers for them too. It helps you understand the questions so you can work through them faster. Make sure you click the curser in the box as you read the question. I missed marks because I hadnt, and it wont auto select the box. Write down the key points from the question the first time it is read. You can then start working out as you get clarification from the 2nd read through. Dont let a question get to you. Move on from it and dont be frustrated if you didnt answer or know you answered wrong - that can mess up the next couple too. Keep practising and working on methods to to the maths quicky.

Ok thanks a lot for your advice, did you start working out the answer after the first time it was read to you?
Reply 152
Original post by EmsJayne
Are your times tables memorised well? I found that knowing most of them off by heart made such a big difference. How long have you been practising? I was like that at first but eventually something clicks and you begin to speed up and get used to it! Try to remember the questions that seem to take you a long time and then practice questions on that (not in timed conditions) until you feel more confident.

Yes I know my times tables quite well thankfully and I have been practicing the practice tests for around 3 days. Thanks much appreciate your advice.
Reply 153

I also wanted to ask how much revision did you do from the revision books that are made for the QTS skill tests, would you advise to do alot of revision or focus more on practicing the online practice tests?
Reply 154
Original post by Am4
I also wanted to ask how much revision did you do from the revision books that are made for the QTS skill tests, would you advise to do alot of revision or focus more on practicing the online practice tests?

I'd definitely focus more on the practice tests!
Reply 155
I'd definitely focus more on the practice tests!

Ok thanks i will keep that in mind.
Are we allowed to write out the 7x table and any other notes etc at the start of the numeracy test? (while still on the practice screen / before beginning the mental arithmetic)
Reply 157
Original post by Petulia
Are we allowed to write out the 7x table and any other notes etc at the start of the numeracy test? (while still on the practice screen / before beginning the mental arithmetic)

You can only start to write on the paper once the test has begun. Depends how much the person in the room watches you, I tried to use the practice time to write down some x's tables and he told me not to... but I lied and said I was doing it to work out the practice question and he left me alone 😅
What's the layout of the exam like? Do they just read the questions to you or do you have a little information about he question on the screen?
Reply 159
Original post by bethharvey.x
What's the layout of the exam like? Do they just read the questions to you or do you have a little information about he question on the screen?

Look at the official practice tests. The layout is exactly the same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending