The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS University of London Rep - 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi!
I've applied for BA Korean and received a conditional offer. The first condition was to provide my original qualifications from my country and the second one to show the results of the IELTS exam I'd done. The problem is that however I have a overall of 6.5 as they ask, It isn't a overall of including 6.5 in Writing, Speaking and Reading and 6.0 in Listening, but 6.5 but from 5.5 in Reading, 6 in Writing, 6.5 Listening and 7.5 Speaking.

I'm really worried about it.

Would I have any possibility to be admitted besides that?

And all these documents they're asking for... how should I provide them?
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by sorayaelaoufi
Hi!
I've applied for BA Korean and received a conditional offer. The first condition was to provide my original qualifications from my country and the second one to show the results of the IELTS exam I'd done. The problem is that however I have a overall of 6.5 as they ask, It isn't a overall of including 6.5 in Writing, Speaking and Reading and 6.0 in Listening, but 6.5 but from 5.5 in Reading, 6 in Writing, 6.5 Listening and 7.5 Speaking.

I'm really worried about it.

Would I have any possibility to be admitted besides that?

And all these documents they're asking for... how should I provide them?

Hi sorayaelaoufi,

Congratulations on your offer!

With your IELTS scores it is likely that you would be offered a pre-sessional English course. If you would like further information on how the pre-sessional courses work, you can click on the link above or you can get in touch with the IFCELS team at SOAS by emailing [email protected].

To send your academic qualifications and IELTS scores to us, please send a colour scan of the official results as attachments in an email to [email protected]. It would also be helpful if you can include your UCAS ID in the email.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with :h:

Laura
I got a conditional offer from SOAS. I'm just wondering do they give out unconditionals this year? My friend got an unconditional last year for history. Just wondering what the process is.
My daughter applied to SOAS for Korean studies and linguistics back in December and has not heard back yet. She is desperately hoping to get in and works very hard but the wait for hearing is worrying her. Should she have heard back by now?
Original post by vaguelyambiguous
I got a conditional offer from SOAS. I'm just wondering do they give out unconditionals this year? My friend got an unconditional last year for history. Just wondering what the process is.

Hi vaguelyambiguous,

We will be giving out some unconditional offers this year. Our admissions team are in the process of considering applications for unconditional offers at the moment.

Laura
Original post by PBoutcher
My daughter applied to SOAS for Korean studies and linguistics back in December and has not heard back yet. She is desperately hoping to get in and works very hard but the wait for hearing is worrying her. Should she have heard back by now?

Hi PBoutcher,

I'm sorry that your daughter is yet to hear back from us, I'm sure the extended wait is a bit nerve-racking.

Sometimes applications can take a bit longer to process for various reasons and so although there is probably no reason for concern, because she has been waiting for a while I would advise her to contact the admissions team at [email protected] to ask for an update on where the application is in the process. She should include her UCAS ID number when she does this.

Laura
Original post by SOAS Student Helper
Are you interested in SOAS and thinking about applying this year? Feel free to ask us questions, let us know your interests and get talking to other applicants. You can give us a tag @SOAS Student Helper

Here are some questions to get you started:

What are you applying for?
What qualifications are you studying?
What are you most looking forward to at uni?

Laura, Darryl, Vian and Tom :flip:

@SOAS Student Helper

Hi,

I firmed SOAS on Wednesday so I could apply for accommodation quickly, but I have yet to get a code from the uni that I am apparently supposed to have received. Could you possibly give me some help with finding it?

Thanks,
Bella
Original post by bellarosejones
@SOAS Student Helper

Hi,

I firmed SOAS on Wednesday so I could apply for accommodation quickly, but I have yet to get a code from the uni that I am apparently supposed to have received. Could you possibly give me some help with finding it?

Thanks,
Bella

Hi Bella,

Apologies if the email caused confusion but don't be concerned, you haven't missed anything. Our accommodation team are reviewing the application process at the moment and all firm offer holders will be receiving an email from us shortly with instructions and the link to apply. This will be in good time of applications opening which is likely to be sometime in mid-March.

This is slightly different to our previous application process but all firm undergraduate offer holders are in the same position.

Feel free to ask any other questions you have! :h:

Laura
Hi Bella,

Apologies if the email caused confusion but don't be concerned, you haven't missed anything. Our accommodation team are reviewing the application process at the moment and all firm offer holders will be receiving an email from us shortly with instructions and the link to apply. This will be in good time of applications opening which is likely to be sometime in mid-March.

This is slightly different to our previous application process but all firm undergraduate offer holders are in the same position.

Feel free to ask any other questions you have! :h:

Laura

Oh I see, I'd been going off past students' experience I didn't realise it was different this year! Thanks foe your help :smile:
Reply 49
Hi there,

I fear I'm just another SOAS candidate impatient to hear from the school. :biggrin:
I applied for an MA in Japanese Studies and the application portal has been updated to "with review team" already 8 days ago (which is not that long I know!). I was just wondering if I will get an automatic notification once I get a response or if I have to log into the application portal and check it myself (which I've been doing over and over again like a maniac the last few days!).

Congrats to everyone who got an acceptance so far! :smile:
Original post by Gamze68
Hi there,

I fear I'm just another SOAS candidate impatient to hear from the school. :biggrin:
I applied for an MA in Japanese Studies and the application portal has been updated to "with review team" already 8 days ago (which is not that long I know!). I was just wondering if I will get an automatic notification once I get a response or if I have to log into the application portal and check it myself (which I've been doing over and over again like a maniac the last few days!).

Congrats to everyone who got an acceptance so far! :smile:

Hi Gamze68,

Hopefully you should receive a decision soon. From the time a masters application is submitted and complete (including references) it can take up to five weeks for us to process an application, but sometimes they are processed more quickly.

Once a decision has been made you will receive a notification email from us asking you to log into the application portal, so don't worry about logging in to check, the admissions team will be in touch to let you know when to do this. :h:

Laura
Reply 51
Hi Gamze68,

Hopefully you should receive a decision soon. From the time a masters application is submitted and complete (including references) it can take up to five weeks for us to process an application, but sometimes they are processed more quickly.

Once a decision has been made you will receive a notification email from us asking you to log into the application portal, so don't worry about logging in to check, the admissions team will be in touch to let you know when to do this. :h:

Laura

Great! Thank you so much! I'm still dying to hear the decision but at least now I can relax a bit and just wait for the email. :smile:
Well Kacey finally heard today! So late with what they're asking for but hopefully doable with the support of her college (who are excellent by the way) and with her work ethic.
Thank you for your previous help. 🙂
P.
Well Kacey finally heard today! So late with what they're asking for but hopefully doable with the support of her college (who are excellent by the way) and with her work ethic.
Thank you for your previous help. 🙂
P.

Glad to hear she has heard back and apologies for the delay receiving the decision.

Do let us know if there is anything else we can help with!

Laura
Glad to hear she has heard back and apologies for the delay receiving the decision.

Do let us know if there is anything else we can help with!

Laura

Thank you very much for your help. She has confirmed SOAS as her firm choice. I do have a question. My daughter is trying to sort out her accommodation and it is asking for her SOAS student number but we are not sure if this is the six numerals from the ucas number or something else entirely? Your help will be gratefully received as she's determined to get this right.
Kind regards,
Pamela.
Thank you very much for your help. She has confirmed SOAS as her firm choice. I do have a question. My daughter is trying to sort out her accommodation and it is asking for her SOAS student number but we are not sure if this is the six numerals from the ucas number or something else entirely? Your help will be gratefully received as she's determined to get this right.
Kind regards,
Pamela.

Hi Pamela

Sorry for taking so long to respond. You should be able to see the student
number in the correspondence sent from the undergraduate admissions team.
If you can't find the number please contact the undergraduate admissions team ([email protected]).

Kind regards

Janis
Reply 56
Hi again!

I recently applied to SOAS and luckily got accepted! Of course as soon as I received an offer I had to rush and firm my choice. I belatedly realized that I should have applied for a different MA programme in the first place (I got into the MA programme I had stated as my first choice, but would like to switch into the one I stated as my second choice).

I already contacted the master's admission team and was told to write a new personal statement, which would be then send to the programme convenor.

But I didn't find out what happens if I don't get into my second choice programme.

Does this new application have any effect on the programme I already firmed? Or will I have the chance to choose between the two once I get an acceptance for the new application? Also, how long does it take to get a response If I already got into the school and just want to change programmes (within the same department even)? I figured it could take shorter this time as I'm only to send in a PS (and not a completely new application)?

I would be extremely grateful if you could help out as soon as possible, since I'm a bit in a rush regarding scholarship applications and fear that my switching programmes now might cause huge problems with the deadlines so close :frown:

Thanks a lot in advance!
Original post by Gamze68
Hi again!

I recently applied to SOAS and luckily got accepted! Of course as soon as I received an offer I had to rush and firm my choice. I belatedly realized that I should have applied for a different MA programme in the first place (I got into the MA programme I had stated as my first choice, but would like to switch into the one I stated as my second choice).

I already contacted the master's admission team and was told to write a new personal statement, which would be then send to the programme convenor.

But I didn't find out what happens if I don't get into my second choice programme.

Does this new application have any effect on the programme I already firmed? Or will I have the chance to choose between the two once I get an acceptance for the new application? Also, how long does it take to get a response If I already got into the school and just want to change programmes (within the same department even)? I figured it could take shorter this time as I'm only to send in a PS (and not a completely new application)?

I would be extremely grateful if you could help out as soon as possible, since I'm a bit in a rush regarding scholarship applications and fear that my switching programmes now might cause huge problems with the deadlines so close :frown:

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi

Even though you are only asking to be considered for your second choice subject the decision could take a few weeks to be made. Also the offer made for the first choice subject will be held so if your second choice is unsuccessful you can, if you would like to, ask back for your first choice subject.

I hope this helps.

Janis
Reply 58
Dear SOAS Student Helper,

I have applied to a SOAS Research Studentship. Positive replies could be sent out unil the end of June. However, rumour has it that they started sending out offers at the beginning of April. Do you know how the process works and what are my chances of still receiving a scholarship if I haven't heard by the end of April?

Time is critical for me as I, unfortunately, might not be able to pursue my studies at SOAS without funding and have to look for alternative options.

Many thanks!
Original post by laveno
Dear SOAS Student Helper,

I have applied to a SOAS Research Studentship. Positive replies could be sent out unil the end of June. However, rumour has it that they started sending out offers at the beginning of April. Do you know how the process works and what are my chances of still receiving a scholarship if I haven't heard by the end of April?

Time is critical for me as I, unfortunately, might not be able to pursue my studies at SOAS without funding and have to look for alternative options.

Many thanks!

Hi

Information about scholarships can be found in this link.

If you have any queries about SOAS financial assistance, after you have researched the website, please contact our scholarships Officer ([email protected]). Queries relating to external funding should be directed to the relevant funding body.

Jan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending