The Student Room Group

Medicine A level Subjects

Do i need to take maths of medicine or is them bio an english a good application? Will it hinder my chances of getting in?
Most of my friends want to go into medicine, and they are taking maths, biology and chemistry. Chemistry is the most important subject to take, paired with another science or maths. This is usually a requirement for medicine courses at most universities. Maths isn't a necessity, but it can help especially with the competitive nature of the course. A typical a level selection for someone aspiring to study medicine would probably be bio, chem and maths. However, you can study English or another academic subjects and still study medicine, but chemistry and either biology, physics or maths is required.
Original post by yaminidabra
Do i need to take maths of medicine or is them bio an english a good application? Will it hinder my chances of getting in?

You don't need maths. I think Cambridge is the only uni that prefers 3 sciences ( e.g chem, bio and maths/physics ). Pick a subject you think you can get an A*/A in.
Original post by yaminidabra

You don't need maths for medicine. You only need Biology Chemistry and a third.
You definitely do not need maths for medicine but you do need 2 science subjects, usually bio and chem!! I asked this all through last year and I know for sure you don't NEED maths if you don't like it! Oxbridge prefer it though if you wanna go there but the rest don't mind :smile:
Biology and chemistry and one other will be enough for every university apart from Cambridge. There is no university that states even a slight preference for maths as a third subject. But don't believe me - do your own research by checking uni websites.

Original post by angelscity
Oxbridge prefer it though if you wanna go there but the rest don't mind

Could you link your source for that please?

I suspect not because neither Oxford nor Cambridge state any preference for maths.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest