The Student Room Group

A2 chemistry help

Hey guys,
I got a few questions on chemistry that I'm so confused with. Can someone help please!!1- the equation 0.5N2 (g) + 2/3H2 (g) = NH3 (g)
The line is not drawn below a temperature of 240 K because its slope (gradient) changes at this point.Suggest what happens to the ammonia at 240 K that causes the slope of the line to change?
Answer - change of state to a liquid
So in this question I did not understand why at high temperature the gaseous
ammonia becomes liquid!!!
2- Give one reason why methanol, synthesised from carbon dioxide and hydrogen, may not be a carbon-neutral fuel
Answer - CO2 maybe produced during H2 manufacture
3- What can you deduce about the formation of ammonia if the reaction mixture is heated to a temperature above the value that you have calculated in part (e) (ii)?
Answer - The reaction is not spontaneous at higher temperature than 464.
CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN PLEASE!!
Original post by Hiyam torkamane
Hey guys,
I got a few questions on chemistry that I'm so confused with. Can someone help please!!1- the equation 0.5N2 (g) + 2/3H2 (g) = NH3 (g)
The line is not drawn below a temperature of 240 K because its slope (gradient) changes at this point.Suggest what happens to the ammonia at 240 K that causes the slope of the line to change?

240K is not high temperature, it is -33ºC...
Original post by Hiyam torkamane
Hey guys,

1. Charco has pretty much summed up. Decreasing the temperature decreases the energy of molecules, so they come closer together, which form hydrogen bonds and make the liquid.

2. Yes. You can also say that the methanol produced from fermentation will be transported by vehicles and ran in factories that produce their own CO2.

3. The reaction is exothermic, increasing temperature pushes equilibrium in the endothermic direction. If you increase the temp too much, It's so far to the left/endothermic direction that no NH3 will form.
Reply 3
Also, it should have been 3/2H2.

me = eagle eyes.

Quick Reply

Latest