The Student Room Group

Anyone else regret not applying for Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RogerOxon
There's a certain amount of variability when you take exams, are interviewed, or your application is assessed. Nobody with the grades should think that they aren't good enough, just that there were candidates that did better / were assessed as being better, this time around. The admissions tutors don't know you well, but have to make a decision based on the information that they have. They are judging your application, not you.

The same applies to job applications too. Sometimes you know that you're out of your depth, but, mostly, it's just that things didn't go as well as they could have.

That is also very true - thank you :smile: x
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
I know, it's not just the fact that it's oxbridge, it's more that I know it's the kind of environment I thrive in (whereas I know most find it incredibly stressful). I have so many friends that left high pressure schools because that couldn't handle it, ended up with average grades and applied anyway simply because it's oxbridge but that's not at all how it is for me. I know the universities I applied to are great and I really am trying to look at the positives, there's just the inevitable sense of regret that I'll have to deal with for a while :smile:

I have to point out, it's not just Oxbridge that has a high pressure environment - I'm sure you'll find that whichever (top) university you go to! I am similar, in that I thrive in a high-pressure environment and it brings out the best in me, and I have definitely found that at the university I am at.

I'm glad you know the universities you've applied to are great, and I hope you get over that disappointment soon x
I just got rejected by Cambridge because I didn't enter for the pre-interview exam:rolleyes: - I couldn't really care less, I'll just go somewhere else, probably enjoy it more as I'll be with more normal people, and get the same degree at the end of it.

Well, I am a little miffed I wasted ages filling out that sodding SAQ:lol:.

It doesn't matter that you didn't apply there because you'll most likely get a place at a different uni.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I regret applying lol

why?
Reply 64
Original post by Athematica
why?

Didn't enjoy or learn from he interview day in any way, found the place more intimidating than inspiring, and it would have been too stressful a course for me anyway..
Didn't enjoy or learn from he interview day in any way, found the place more intimidating than inspiring, and it would have been too stressful a course for me anyway..

Oh, you perceived the course as stressful? The mathmo I spoke to seems to love it there! Interesting.
Reply 66
Oh, you perceived the course as stressful? The mathmo I spoke to seems to love it there! Interesting.

For someone fairly bad at maths like me, yes.
I didn't have the grades but hey that's my fault:h:
Original post by physicsamor
I didn't have the grades but hey that's my fault:h:

Have you just been rejected?!
For someone fairly bad at maths like me, yes.

An odd choice of degree, then :biggrin:
It's a brutal process, and the process alone is just the beginning:
Do you get the interview?
You turn up, but do you screw up the interview?
Then you listen to all your friends dealing with whether they screwed up their interview
And then you deal with your family dealing with your worry that you screwed up the interview
Then you keep in touch with fellow applicants
And eventually get the news, that you're in, rejected or pooled and rejected
And then you grieve or celebrate
And then you grieve or celebrate with your friends and family and fellow applicants
And all that time, you're still trying to focus on your work
And then you do your exams
And wait for the results
And deal with your friends who got their places confirmed
And deal with those who didn't
And deal with your family dealing with you dealing with it
And then you panic whether you're really good enough
And you get there, and panic that you haven't got the time or ability to meet their standards, when all your non Oxbridge friends are having a blast
Or you go to your other option, even though your grades were good enough to reapply, and you stress whether it was right not to reapply.
Brutal.
Original post by DrSocSciences
Then you listen to all your friends dealing with whether they screwed up their interview
And then you deal with your family dealing with your worry that you screwed up the interview
And then you grieve or celebrate with your friends and family and fellow applicants
And wait for the results
And you get there, and panic that you haven't got the time or ability to meet their standards, when all your non Oxbridge friends are having a blast
Or you go to your other option, even though your grades were good enough to reapply, and you stress whether it was right not to reapply.
Brutal.

I got rejected pre interview so can only relate to this first and last points, but that's so accurate :tongue:
And wait for the results
Brutal.

:yy::yy::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg
Have you just been rejected?!

No no no no my predicted grades and as results weren't good enough for oxbridge, so I never applied.They wouldnt even consider me but I didn't try hard enough last year.
Reply 74
An odd choice of degree, then :biggrin:

What I mean is I have no talent. Okay, to say I'm bad is misleading. But compared to most mathmos I'm bad. I'm not a good problem solver. I'm good at learning a load of crap and applying it in an exam but what I did at A level and what I am doing now in Warwick doesn't seem to capture what maths is all about, as retarded as that sounds. Perhaps it would be better to say I'm good at maths, but
I'd make a bad mathematician.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Oxbridge is great and all in many respects, but it's not worth developing hang-ups over, OP :nah: Especially when you've applied to (and may get a place at) LSE and other great unis :awesome:

Thank you! That's what I keep trying to tell myself :tongue:
And wait for the results
Brutal.

But think of the life lessons learned. For those, it doesn't necessarily matter whether the application is successful or not.
What I mean is I have no talent. Okay, to say I'm bad is misleading. But compared to most mathmos I'm bad. I'm not a good problem solver. I'm good at learning a load of crap and applying it in an exam but what I did at A level and what I am doing now in Warwick doesn't seem to capture what maths is all about, as retarded as that sounds. Perhaps it would be better to say I'm good at maths, but

I thought this before the UKMT this year. Could hardly answer any before, struggled with what I'd call problem solving instead of regurgitating and was scoring bronze and silver at the start of the year. but I bought the Art of Problem solving, went through the book, scored 112 on the Maths Challenge and am doing BMO next month. Read your started threads and saw that you struggled with UKMT too in the beginning but with some training I've actually become a pretty good problem solver with regards to proofs and MAT papers and BMO questions and even a couple of STEP ones I've tried. All of a sudden I find my approach is actually really good and I feel comfortable with the problems. Problem solving is just a function of practice for the most part I think. Lots of these mathmos have been doing it since they were kids.

I swear Warwick maths is just glorified A-Level maths (with slightly more sophisticated content). At least in the first year it is.

I missed 12/15 of the geometry lectures so I was a bit worried that the exam paper would be hard, but then I looked at the 2014 one, did 25 marks worth of Qs in my head in less than a minute and then realised it was ridiculous of me to think (or hope) that the questions were going to be vaguely challenging in the first place.

From a first-year point of view, you're right, it certainly does not capture what maths is about (i.e. solving problems). You'd think it would for a uni with such an 'acclaimed' maths department.
Reply 79
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
I truly feel sick about not doing it, hearing about everyone getting interviews is making me feel dreadful.

I applied to Oxford. I don't regret it rn, but ask me on the day of my interview :crossedf::cry2:
if i don't get an offer, which to be honest is pretty likely at the moment, i might regret it a little bit because even though i'm sort of expecting it, it'll still hurt.
If i do get an offer, then I won't regret it, but I will have to work solidly to get the grades!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending