The Student Room Group

Can my friend do my UCAS reference?

I'm applying by myself and I don't really have anyone else to ask. I think it would be okay since they're doing a degree in the subject and are in their second year. I was thinking we could say they tutored me. They've helped me academically in the past, I think they can speak on my academic ability quite well. Would this be okay?

My old school said they won't do it for me, so I have no one to ask and everywhere I want to apply said I need a reference.

Edit: I went to school in person and begged so it all worked out fine. thank you for everyone's responses!
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

What reason did your school give for refusing?
Original post by PQ

I asked them and they said they don't help students retaking because I'm no longer with them. I'm retaking due to some mitigating circumstances. I need predicted grades and they said they can't provide that at all. I can't have a reference without predicted grades for where I want to apply (and most places in general).
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by PQ

I don't know the reason ops school refused, but initially my school also refused because they said the predicted grades were coming from an external source so they won't be able to help me out anymore. But then I kept asking and begging them to do it and they eventually gave in.
Original post by Jannet2ester
I don't know the reason ops school refused, but initially my school also refused because they said the predicted grades were coming from an external source so they won't be able to help me out anymore. But then I kept asking and begging them to do it and they eventually gave in.

Mine initially said they would and then backed out at the last second. That's why I'm asking so late. I wanted to apply for Oxbridge. Though, I suppose I have till January if I ditch that.
Original post by rennatusembers
I'm applying by myself and I don't really have anyone else to ask. I think it would be okay since they're doing a degree in the subject and are in their second year. I was thinking we could say they tutored me. They've helped me academically in the past, I think they can speak on my academic ability quite well. Would this be okay?

My old school said they won't do it for me, so I have no one to ask and everywhere I want to apply said I need a reference.

Answering to this question, in pretty sure you can. But the universities might not take it seriously, that's the problem. Especially if your applying to those top universities , they might think those grades are not reliable.
Answering to this question, in pretty sure you can. But the universities might not take it seriously, that's the problem. Especially if your applying to those top universities , they might think those grades are not reliable.

What if I said they were a tutor? Private students must be getting their grades from somewhere? I want to apply for Oxford, Imperial, UCL and Bristol. I've not picked a 5th yet. I feel really bad about it though, it feels unjust. I just don't know what else to do.
Mine initially said they would and then backed out at the last second. That's why I'm asking so late. I wanted to apply for Oxbridge. Though, I suppose I have till January if I ditch that.

Oof, if it's Oxbridge then the deadline in today at 6. Normally I would have said email them and ask but it doesn't look like you have time for it now. Maybe try calling their admissions team, but if not then maybe just give it a go? Actually try calling up UCAS. I'm not sure what else to recommend since the deadline is littlely in about 7 hours.
What if I said they were a tutor? Private students must be getting their grades from somewhere? I want to apply for Oxford, Imperial, UCL and Bristol. I've not picked a 5th yet. I feel really bad about it though, it feels unjust. I just don't know what else to do.

Yh from private/distance learning colleges like I did. But the process normally takes a minimum of 2/3 weeks.
Yh from private/distance learning colleges like I did. But the process normally takes a minimum of 2/3 weeks.

I'vee been debating joining one but the cost seems high. Especially when I can teach myself. If I go for january, I guess I could be fine?
Oof, if it's Oxbridge then the deadline in today at 6. Normally I would have said email them and ask but it doesn't look like you have time for it now. Maybe try calling their admissions team, but if not then maybe just give it a go? Actually try calling up UCAS. I'm not sure what else to recommend since the deadline is littlely in about 7 hours.

Yeah, I spent the last week talking to my school thinking they'd cave. That was naive on my part. I just figured since I graduated last year and was a rather good student, then someone would do it for me. I know that was silly. My friend says they can do it now, they're so helpful. I've gotten everything else done. But I just feel guilty for not doing it properly? That and I wouldn't want it to backfire.
I think it would be okay since they're doing a degree in the subject and are in their second year. I was thinking we could say they tutored me. They've helped me academically in the past, I think they can speak on my academic ability quite well. Would this be okay?

This really is just a drawn out way of saying they are an unqualified student.
I asked them and they said they don't help students retaking because I'm no longer with them. I'm retaking due to some mitigating circumstances. I need predicted grades and they said they can't provide that at all. I can't have a reference without predicted grades for where I want to apply (and most places in general).

Why didn't you ask the centre where you're retaking?

If you put a friend then that's not going to be acceptable - even more so if you lie and misrepresent your friend as a tutor....is your friend willing to lie about their credentials?
Original post by StriderHort
This really is just a drawn out way of saying they are an unqualified student.

Do you mean me? I'm not sure what you mean by unqualified. It's not that I can't do well. I just can't find anyone to do my reference.
Original post by PQ
Why didn't you ask the centre where you're retaking?

If you put a friend then that's not going to be acceptable - even more so if you lie and misrepresent your friend as a tutor....is your friend willing to lie about their credentials?

I suppose you're right. I guess I'll leave oxbridge then. This makes me feel guilty anyways. I don't want to get anyone in trouble because of my own oversight.

Also my center is my school, I can take the exam with them. I just can't get a reference at all
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 15
Short answer is 'no'
Do you mean me? I'm not sure what you mean by unqualified. It's not that I can't do well. I just can't find anyone to do my reference.

Should have been a bit obvious I was talking about your friend from the part I quoted.
I suppose you're right. I guess I'll leave oxbridge then. This makes me feel guilty anyways. I don't want to get anyone in trouble because of my own oversight.

Also my center is my school, I can take the exam with them. I just can't get a reference at all

It's a real shame.
Oxford (and some other universities) haven't previously been so strict around predicted grade requirements for resit applicants - it's something that TSR might want to take up with them as something that's costing applicants a lot of money and meaning they may miss out on good candidates who aren't able to pay for predicted grades from private tutoring organisations.

It's also worth raising with your school and explaining that because they're unwilling to provide predicted grades (even with caveats that those predictions are based on your own target grades and not based on the school assessing your current work) that they've prevented you from applying to specific universities. They may well be willing to revise their policy especially now the UCAS reference has been revised to let them make this clearer.

Personally, given the lack of consistency and accuracy of predictions, I have said for years they should be removed from the UCAS application altogether and universities should make judgements based only on achieved grades, PS, reference and the mix of qualifications (plus interviews and entry tests and other information). There's zero risk from a university making an A*A*A* offer to someone predicted DDD. If the applicant gets A*A*A* then they're getting a student who meets their academic requirements, if they don't then the university doesn't have to take them.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by StriderHort
Should have been a bit obvious I was talking about your friend from the part I quoted.

Yeah, I suppose they are. They helped me out with history a lot last year when I couldn't go to school due to health issues. That doesn't make them a tutor of course, but it seemed as close to "knows my academic ability" as I could get. I wouldn't want to ask someone who I've never worked with after all.
Yeah, I suppose they are. They helped me out with history a lot last year when I couldn't go to school due to health issues. That doesn't make them a tutor of course, but it seemed as close to "knows my academic ability" as I could get. I wouldn't want to ask someone who I've never worked with after all.

See when they talk of knowing academic ability, I think they are talking about a professional judgement from someone with the qualifications and exp. I get you are saying this might be the closest you have but it;s doubtful it would be accepted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending