The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Disability Support in Sheffield Hallam

Hi,
I am considering studying Computer Networks at Sheffield Hallam University. I am interested in finding out how good is their disability support service and whether I will be able to have access to their services - should I come to study there. I ask this question because I am currently a Sixth form student who has Aspergers' Syndrome and need clarification on the type of assistance I can receive.
Thanks.
Original post by Tegha20
Hi,
I am considering studying Computer Networks at Sheffield Hallam University. I am interested in finding out how good is their disability support service and whether I will be able to have access to their services - should I come to study there. I ask this question because I am currently a Sixth form student who has Aspergers' Syndrome and need clarification on the type of assistance I can receive.
Thanks.

hi there! good morning!

i'm currently studying computer science at hallam, and i also have a disability.

hallam are very happy to issue 'learning contracts' to students with disabilities. these outline some of the special requirements you need - for example, extra time in exams; assistance in inegration into a group with group work; retakes of assessments and exams with no penalty; guidance for lecturers on how to mark you for presentations... you get the idea.

on top of that, if you apply for disabled students allowance, there's an in-house support worker team if your assessor thinks a mentor would be helpful.

there's also the student wellbeing centre in the bottom of the owen building, where you can get support through counselling. the disability drop in service also helps, where you can drop in to an appointment if you have any concerns about your disability, disability support or concerns surrounding those issues.

the support i've gained is much better than anything i got at school, and staff at hallam are very understanding. everything is easy to access and i'm pleased i chose to come here.

if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask them! :smile:
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending