The Student Room Group

how long is a-level maths ?

if its 2 years, is it worth doing AS further maths ? aka will it look good on my UCAS application ?
Reply 1
Original post by omichael
if its 2 years, is it worth doing AS further maths ? aka will it look good on my UCAS application ?

It depends upon your school structure as to how they teach A-Level maths. Some teach it in one year, but the majority in two. Regarding further maths, it would look great on your application no matter what degree you decide to take on. However, it would be more beneficial and advantageous to take it if you are going to be applying for a STEM related degree. Personally I have applied for chemical engineering without doing further maths, so it is not necessary, but it would have been useful.
Reply 2
Original post by metaljoe
It depends upon your school structure as to how they teach A-Level maths. Some teach it in one year, but the majority in two. Regarding further maths, it would look great on your application no matter what degree you decide to take on. However, it would be more beneficial and advantageous to take it if you are going to be applying for a STEM related degree. Personally I have applied for chemical engineering without doing further maths, so it is not necessary, but it would have been useful.

Is it possible to learn it in one year
Reply 3
If you put the effort in, yes you can certainly do it!
Of course! Our school does the full maths a level in one year and does further maths in the next year so it is certainly doable. But yeah as the previous replies said, it really depends on how your school decides to teach it.

Quick Reply

Latest