The Student Room Group

Hills or Long road for A level

I am terrible at math but great at the humanities. I am not sure if I should even bother with Hills road. Advice please.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by OmarBel
I am terrible at math but great at the humanities. I am not sure if I should even bother with Hills road. Advice please.

Hello,
To give a bit of background I am a current Hills Road Student studying maths, biology and chemistry. So I can only really speak for the hills road side of things, but hope this helps.

I would say that if you are considering maths at A-level, in my opinion, it is definitely beneficial to study it at Hills Road. I think Hills Road students generally perform really well in Maths and in terms of predicted grades at the end of Year 12, the majority of students will have received a predicted grade of at least an A with 49% of students at A level going on to score a A* in 2022 . But to clarify, this is mostly down to how much effort students are willing to put into the subject. Maths as a subject choice can be really good, as it works with almost any a level subject combination, and with the likelihood of getting a A or A* predicted it can be useful for meeting Uni Requirements.

Though that is not to say that maths at Hills Road is easy. Whilst yes, some may find it easy, generally maths at Hills tends to be quite challenging. This applies to unit tests or EoY exams where the department has created very difficult questions, so it can sometimes be demotivating if you do badly in a test. With proper preparation and consistent hard work it is possible to do well in Maths, and there is also a weekly and daily drop in support session which you can attend if you ever need it.

In terms of math classes themselves. Hills Road seems to have a bigger class size with about average of 22 students per class compared to Long Road with 19. Also I think Long Road has almost 300 total A level maths students (according to their website), whilst Hills Road has almost 1100 in total I believe meaning roughly 40% of the entire year group at Hills will study maths, to put it into perspective.

To sum it up, maths A-level can be challenging at any school, but you would probably find it a more challenging experience at Hills than at Long Road, but I would say that maths at Hills can be really rewarding in terms of grades and other aspects such as support. It just really depends what sort of school environment you are looking for. In aspects other than academics, whilst I can't speak for Long Road, I feel Hills definitely is good. I think for me, the only disadvantage of Hills is their standards and expectations in regards to EPQ - but the same could apply to Long Road.

Not sure if you may have already decided on which school, or have received advice from another person on a different thread but hope this information and perspective helps you and any other potential applicants! :smile:
Good Luck to anyone considering to apply to Hills Road, I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience and do not regret it. I am happy to answer any more questions as well.
Reply 3
Original post by PieceOCake
Hello,
To give a bit of background I am a current Hills Road Student studying maths, biology and chemistry. So I can only really speak for the hills road side of things, but hope this helps.

I would say that if you are considering maths at A-level, in my opinion, it is definitely beneficial to study it at Hills Road. I think Hills Road students generally perform really well in Maths and in terms of predicted grades at the end of Year 12, the majority of students will have received a predicted grade of at least an A with 49% of students at A level going on to score a A* in 2022 . But to clarify, this is mostly down to how much effort students are willing to put into the subject. Maths as a subject choice can be really good, as it works with almost any a level subject combination, and with the likelihood of getting a A or A* predicted it can be useful for meeting Uni Requirements.

Though that is not to say that maths at Hills Road is easy. Whilst yes, some may find it easy, generally maths at Hills tends to be quite challenging. This applies to unit tests or EoY exams where the department has created very difficult questions, so it can sometimes be demotivating if you do badly in a test. With proper preparation and consistent hard work it is possible to do well in Maths, and there is also a weekly and daily drop in support session which you can attend if you ever need it.

In terms of math classes themselves. Hills Road seems to have a bigger class size with about average of 22 students per class compared to Long Road with 19. Also I think Long Road has almost 300 total A level maths students (according to their website), whilst Hills Road has almost 1100 in total I believe meaning roughly 40% of the entire year group at Hills will study maths, to put it into perspective.

To sum it up, maths A-level can be challenging at any school, but you would probably find it a more challenging experience at Hills than at Long Road, but I would say that maths at Hills can be really rewarding in terms of grades and other aspects such as support. It just really depends what sort of school environment you are looking for. In aspects other than academics, whilst I can't speak for Long Road, I feel Hills definitely is good. I think for me, the only disadvantage of Hills is their standards and expectations in regards to EPQ - but the same could apply to Long Road.

Not sure if you may have already decided on which school, or have received advice from another person on a different thread but hope this information and perspective helps you and any other potential applicants! :smile:
Good Luck to anyone considering to apply to Hills Road, I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience and do not regret it. I am happy to answer any more questions as well.

I also forgot to mention that Long Road has a lower GCSE Requirement than Hills Road, I believe, so that is also something to consider.

Quick Reply

Latest