The Student Room Group

Does taking 8 IGCSEs considered a low achievements for applying universities?

Hi.

I am from Myanmar and I am currently preparing for 8 IGCSEs.
Is 8 GCSEs considered as a low achievement for applying to universities? Since I am seeing people with great achievements in TSR (11A*... etc)

How many IGCSE subjects and marks are average to get into above average universities?

Thanks.
Original post by Paing Thet
Hi.

I am from Myanmar and I am currently preparing for 8 IGCSEs.
Is 8 GCSEs considered as a low achievement for applying to universities? Since I am seeing people with great achievements in TSR (11A*... etc)

How many IGCSE subjects and marks are average to get into above average universities?

Thanks.

Define above average universities?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Define above average universities?

Universities just below the ranking of Oxford and Cambridge...
Original post by Paing Thet
Universities just below the ranking of Oxford and Cambridge...

It would really depend on the degree subject you wanted to study, if you have 8 IGCSEs that are As and Bs for many subjects you should be fine
Universities don't really care what qualifications you achieved at IGCSE/GCSE level once you've done your A-levels (providing you've gotten a C or B in Maths and English at least). I've been offered a place personally at a Russell Group University with only 3 GCSEs, so I wouldn't worry about it.
I thought you only needed 5 including Maths and English.

Some courses will want at least a B in maths and English though.

I remember looking on Bristol's website and they wanted a B in maths and English for a lot of courses. Yet other high ranking unis like Nottingham only wanted Cs for the same courses so it varies.
Don't worry about it though, I only achieved a C in maths due to my school being crap and having no teacher all year 10 and still got 5 offers. (only 53% of kids passed their maths and English GCSEs there last year :ashamed2: )

Quick Reply

Latest