The Student Room Group

Grammar Schools vs Private Schools

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79
Those schools are miles apart! How on earth were you going to get to them?

When I was in like year 6 or something, I did exams for Essex grammar schools and Kent grammar schools, so I only sat two exams for however many grammar schools there were. I live in East London and my brother went to Southend (he had to get up early and go by train) but he was only there for a year before transferring to a prep school.
Original post by timster32
When I was in like year 6 or something, I did exams for Essex grammar schools and Kent grammar schools, so I only sat two exams for however many grammar schools there were. I live in East London and my brother went to Southend (he had to get up early and go by train) but he was only there for a year before transferring to a prep school.

So you sat exams for schools too far away to get to for 7 years ... even KEGS would be tricky unless you are near the train line.

Don't apply for sixth forms so far away - you won't have time for study and the additional work.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think you may have taken that out of context...

Yeah I was hangry, I'm sorry
im better now
tbh, grammar schools aren't all worked up to be 'prestigious academy's' or what not.
i mean, sure they get great grades at gcse and stuff but half the time we are messing around XD
So you sat exams for schools too far away to get to for 7 years ... even KEGS would be tricky unless you are near the train line.

When did I say they were too far away, it wouldn't have been too tricky to travel there and I am close to a train line but even so, I know people who travel much further distances than what I would have had to travel to get to their grammar schools...
private
Original post by neal95
private

Care to elaborate?
When did I say they were too far away, it wouldn't have been too tricky to travel there and I am close to a train line but even so, I know people who travel much further distances than what I would have had to travel to get to their grammar schools...

yeah it takes me at least a minimum of an hour to get to school and an hour back

No school is worth that sort of travel on a daily basis - there are guidelines on maximum travel times.
No school is worth that sort of travel on a daily basis - there are guidelines on maximum travel times.

Im not sure you understand the situation these days regarding education- people are willing to do anything for a good education. Look at the guy above...
Im not sure you understand the situation these days regarding education- people are willing to do anything for a good education. Look at the guy above...

I think I probably know more than you about choices in education.

There are good schools nearer you - bright children do well in most schools. I've taught at a comp as well and we got students into Oxbridge every year - all for free :smile:

There are good schools nearer you - bright children do well in most schools. I've taught at a comp as well and we got students into Oxbridge every year - all for free :smile:

there probably are some good schools near me, but I actually like the journey there and back, its full of banter and I've got some great friends and we all do our homework on the bus lmao

I guess it depends on the individual, as the schools don't get the grades, the students do

Ok then ask the guy above why he travels an hour to go to his grammar school.

There aren't good schools near me which is why I go to the school I go to (albeit boarding) or why my parents contemplated sending me to schools like KEGS which aren't exactly close...
Ok then ask the guy above why he travels an hour to go to his grammar school.

There aren't good schools near me which is why I go to the school I go to (albeit boarding) or why my parents contemplated sending me to schools like KEGS which aren't exactly close...

Which borough do you live in? I don't believe there is no good school nearer you.
I lie about going to a private school so people think I'm from a rich family :u:
Which borough do you live in? I don't believe there is no good school nearer you.

No school that is good enough. Havering.
Original post by Euler's Identity
I lie about going to a private school so people think I'm from a rich family :u:

I'm not rich but I go to a private school...
I'm not rich but I go to a private school...

Lucky child :colonhash:
No school that is good enough. Havering.

There are good schools in Havering - I've just checked the DfE performance tables and Ofsted reports.
There are good schools in Havering - I've just checked the DfE performance tables and Ofsted reports.

I don't care about those tables now I'm in year 13 do I???? But could you name me these schools please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending