The Student Room Group

Grammar Schools vs Private Schools

Scroll to see replies

Atmosphere matters a lot in any school, I went to one of the worst comprehensives in London from 11-16, and now I go to a top performing grammar school, what is most surprising is that facilities at my older school were better and the teaching (with a few exceptions) is about the same. Students here are very competitive and also work very hard, sure teaching matters but at the end of the day its about how much work the student is willing to put in.
Original post by timster32
I don't think it's that much of a transition from top private schools to university, before sixth form, the classes average about 20+ so it's not exactly a vastly smaller number then that at a grammar school. And besides- they are boarding schools, the two schools that you mentioned and so the students are more accustomed to independent learning and actually being able to organize their time, so how are they less prepared for uni life?

Well, at sixth form my classes were certainly larger than that... Also, sixth form at a state school is much more about independent study (or at least it was at mine, which admittedly was rather large) - our teachers rarely set compulsory homework, I had to do a lot of independent study from the textbook and working through exercises at home, etc. The teachers just ran through the exam board specification and taught all the essential content, but didn't require any more detailed knowledge or exploration of topics (although admittedly a few were willing to provide suggestions for extra work/ wider reading, but certainly not all teachers). This atmosphere is pretty similar to university - lots of independent work and generally less compulsory homework (except coursework).

In contrast, I've heard that good private schools (and grammar schools - assuming we define good as being generally prestigious/ getting students good grades) tend to teach the content in much more detail than is strictly required for the exam, enabling students to better understand the content and underlying or related ideas (helpful in more challenging exam questions and university interviews). Homework may be more strictly set and marked, forcing students to actually study. I'm not so sure about the boarding side, most private schools AFAIK tend to have a lot of day students anyway though...
I don't care about those tables now I'm in year 13 do I???? But could you name me these schools please?

I thought you were in Year 11 and asking about whether to stay on - why are you worrying now? What's done is done.

I'm not wasting any more time on a pointless thread; I've got work to mark.
Ok then ask the guy above why he travels an hour to go to his grammar school.

There aren't good schools near me which is why I go to the school I go to (albeit boarding) or why my parents contemplated sending me to schools like KEGS which aren't exactly close...

Lol, I travelled for an hour each day just to get to my standard state comprehensives for 7 years...
Original post by Muttley79
I thought you were in Year 11 and asking about whether to stay on - why are you worrying now? What's done is done.

I'm not wasting any more time on a pointless thread; I've got work to mark.

Don't assume next time + why did you jump to the conclusion that I was worried? Marking at Christmas?
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Well, at sixth form my classes were certainly larger than that... Also, sixth form at a state school is much more about independent study (or at least it was at mine, which admittedly was rather large) - our teachers rarely set compulsory homework, I had to do a lot of independent study from the textbook and working through exercises at home, etc. The teachers just ran through the exam board specification and taught all the essential content, but didn't require any more detailed knowledge or exploration of topics (although admittedly a few were willing to provide suggestions for extra work/ wider reading, but certainly not all teachers). This atmosphere is pretty similar to university - lots of independent work and generally less compulsory homework (except coursework).

In contrast, I've heard that good private schools (and grammar schools - assuming we define good as being generally prestigious/ getting students good grades) tend to teach the content in much more detail than is strictly required for the exam, enabling students to better understand the content and underlying or related ideas (helpful in more challenging exam questions and university interviews). Homework may be more strictly set and marked, forcing students to actually study. I'm not so sure about the boarding side, most private schools AFAIK tend to have a lot of day students anyway though...

Yeah the boarding side is the same.
Yeah the boarding side is the same.

I didn't 'assume' - you created a pointless thread as hothing is going to change where you are or your belief that is is somehow 'better'.

Isn't prep at boarding school supervised? Most do.

Yes, I have students who have interviews and want me to look at stuff for them.
Original post by Muttley79
I didn't 'assume' - you created a pointless thread as hothing is going to change where you are or your belief that is is somehow 'better'.

Isn't prep at boarding school supervised? Most do.

Yes, I have students who have interviews and want me to look at stuff for them.

It's not a pointless thread- I was trying to start an educational debate on the actual benefits of going to a private school as opposed to the non-fee paying grammar which is deemed to be academically better.

Prep at boarding school isn't supervised at my school, don't know about others.
Reply 68
I don't think it's that much of a transition from top private schools to university, before sixth form, the classes average about 20+ so it's not exactly a vastly smaller number then that at a grammar school. And besides- they are boarding schools, the two schools that you mentioned and so the students are more accustomed to independent learning and actually being able to organize their time, so how are they less prepared for uni life?

What I'm trying to say is that some people at mid ranking private schools , which are generally day schools ie. Not Eaton or Harrow etc. find the transition from sixth form to uni more difficult than their state school counterparts even those in grammar schools as class sizes are smaller in private schools than in grammars where there are as many as 32 in a class. Smaller class sizes allow them to receive more attention from teacher ; this amount of attention is not replicated at university so they struggle as they are expected to find out information themselves rather than being "spoon fed" information by teachers
Original post by Laura/
What I'm trying to say is that some people at mid ranking private schools , which are generally day schools ie. Not Eaton or Harrow etc. find the transition from sixth form to uni more difficult than their state school counterparts even those in grammar schools as class sizes are smaller in private schools than in grammars where there are as many as 32 in a class. Smaller class sizes allow them to receive more attention from teacher ; this amount of attention is not replicated at university so they struggle as they are expected to find out information themselves rather than being "spoon fed" information by teachers

Ok but I would say academically, Harrow is probably mid ranking... I thought grammar schools were selective so surely the abilities of all the people in the class shouldn't vary that much. Especially in the sixth form, where your encouraged to become more independent, class sizes wouldn't matter that much because your just expected to get in with it? I guess so, but you don't necessarily have to ask questions in clas, you always write them down and ask the teacher at the end, which I'm sure you can do at uni. But I guess so, I've heard that state school children do fair better at uni than their private school counterparts.
Does going to a top private school (Eton, Harrow, Westminster, St Pauls) as opposed to a grammar school actually give you that much of an advantage in life?

Network wise, 1000000000000% yes.

You won't find the type of people you told me about at your school in the same numbers as you would at a grammar school.

Of course there's all the extra stuff like the extra support, the better facilities, the 'prestige', etc..

Grammar schools don't have the same cache nor the same level of investment in students as the top public schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok I understand but obviously your not entirely sure of your future plans are when you start either. I guess so but in terms of academic rigor, which would you say is better?

Academic rigour will just depend on the school in question. Some grammar schools will perform better than some private schools, which will perform better than some other grammar schools, which will perform better than some other private schools etc.

It also depends on what your measure of academic rigour is. For example, in my city there is a certain private school with higher oxbridge acceptance rates than its grammar school competitor, but with lower GCSE grades overall.

I don't think there's much point worrying about the academic rigour of the school though; the main thing that determines a student's grades is the quality of the student themselves.
GRAMMAR SCHOOLS ARE 100% BETTER THAN PRIVATE SCHOOLS IN MY OPINION. with grammar schools you have to take a selective test that tests your knowledge or maths , english, verbal reasoning, non verbal reasoning and it is extremely competetive.hundreds of students get turned down by a school every year. But with private schools 50% of the time there is no test and your just paying wi=hich doesnt prove ur smartness
Thats a very racist comment. My original background is from India and I send my daughter to a private school. She is one of the most able child in her school and we as parents have never pushed her. We live in a white dominant area and I have seen the very few South Asian kids in her school are the ones who are mostly bright.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending