The Student Room Group

IBM CbD - Technology Consulting

Hi Everyone,

Looking for any advice/wisdom on the IBM Consulting by Degrees program.

I've recently been offered a role on the 2 year scheme as a technology consultant. I'm looking to break into the technology industry after spending 3.5 years working as a consultant engineer (degree in chemical engineering). As I have no background in technology a graduate scheme seemed the best way to do this.

However, I've been reading a lot of negative things about the IBM Consulting by Degrees scheme and IBM in general. Had anyone had any experience with the scheme/company?
- Is it a good place to start your career in tech consulting?
- Are there progression opportunities? I'm looking to progress quite rapidly in the early stages (I already have consulting experience) and don't really want to be held back because they expect all graduates to progress at the same time.
- How often are the salary reviews and what are these like? Or does the salary remain the same throughout the duration of the graduate scheme?
- Will the scheme given me a good range of experience, giving me good exit opportunities or would I be better off considering other opportunities?
- Would be great to hear from anyone who has/does work at IBM and has anything to share that can help shed some light on the scheme and company. As I said previously, I've found mostly negatives online but understand I must take everything with a pinch of salt!

Thanks!!
Did you ever get a response to your question or find help somewhere? I have the exact same questions
Reply 2
Original post by alabrador
Did you ever get a response to your question or find help somewhere? I have the exact same questions

Practically impossible to find a big company that doesn't have negative reviews. If you employee lots of people, they can't all be happy. Don't pay too much attention, the people I know who have gone through the IBM scheme were all positive about the experience.
Original post by AnwarH89
Hi Everyone,

Looking for any advice/wisdom on the IBM Consulting by Degrees program.

I've recently been offered a role on the 2 year scheme as a technology consultant. I'm looking to break into the technology industry after spending 3.5 years working as a consultant engineer (degree in chemical engineering). As I have no background in technology a graduate scheme seemed the best way to do this.

However, I've been reading a lot of negative things about the IBM Consulting by Degrees scheme and IBM in general. Had anyone had any experience with the scheme/company?
- Is it a good place to start your career in tech consulting?
- Are there progression opportunities? I'm looking to progress quite rapidly in the early stages (I already have consulting experience) and don't really want to be held back because they expect all graduates to progress at the same time.
- How often are the salary reviews and what are these like? Or does the salary remain the same throughout the duration of the graduate scheme?
- Will the scheme given me a good range of experience, giving me good exit opportunities or would I be better off considering other opportunities?
- Would be great to hear from anyone who has/does work at IBM and has anything to share that can help shed some light on the scheme and company. As I said previously, I've found mostly negatives online but understand I must take everything with a pinch of salt!

Thanks!!

Congrats ! What’s the starting salary like ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending