The Student Room Group

Which 3DS game to buy?

out of these options?:smile:

Pokemon Moon/Sun (which is best? Is Moon good?)

Animal Crossing New Leaf

Super Mario 3D Land

Mario Party (if anyone has either/both games Star Rush / Island tour is there any differences between the 2?)

Also any recommendations for any other 3DS games?

I can't decide, what do you think of these games if you've played them?
also since they're so expensive £30+ I can't buy them all at once...:frown::smile:unfortunately

(also never played any Pokemon games or no knowledge of the Pokemon world, but I've played 1 or 2 Mario games in my time & enjoyed them :smile:)

thank you:smile::smile:
I would say that the Mario Party games for the 3DS are not worth your time or money.

The other options, however, are very good. I'd say Pokemon Sun or Moon is best. There's minor differences between the two, and the only difference really is that some Pokemon are only available in one game. However, you can trade to get the Pokemon that you can only get in the other game with someone who has it, so it's not that troublesome. And, Pokemon Sun takes place in real time, whereas Moon will take place in the opposite time (when it is day in your time, it will be night in the game), I think because it's the Moon/night version and it assumes you'll be playing at the day it wants you to feel the night while playing. The real deciding factor are the Pokemon in the cover art. Which one do you like better?

They also do a great job at introducing the world of Pokemon, so it doesn't matter if you haven't played one before. It's a beautiful world and such a wonderful game and story and lively characters!

Super Mario 3D Land is a good game, and I would recommend it, but not as much as Pokemon Sun and Moon because it doesn't have as much replay value as Pokemon does. I got bored of Animal Crossing: New Leaf pretty quickly, though, but if you like reality sims I guess you won't.

So, to rank your list:
1. Pokemon Sun/Moon
2. Super Mario 3D Land
3. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
4. Mario Party

I'd recommend other games too, I love The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, and as it is a Select, it means it's relatively cheap too (meant to be £15, but can be cheaper if you're lucky), and the other Selects I think are good is The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (a breath-taking game that is fun to explore and simply charming and it is sooo much fun to play) and Star Fox 64 3D.

Kid Icarus: Uprising is well worth checking out as well, a charming and fun game with awesome characters and funny dialogue. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is pretty cool too, as are the Kirby games.
(edited 7 years ago)
Pokemon Sun and Moon.

They are very good games. I haven't been a fan of the new games (From Black and white to now. This is for the main series so not including the spin off ones. As they are very good.)

It comes in my top 3 pokemon main series games along withh Platinum and soul silver. Moon is probably second after Platinam. Its probably the best story from the main series of games. Very good game. I have over 60 hours on it. The other pokemon games like Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon Ranger are also very good.
Reply 3
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
Original post by bizzy_penguin

Animal Crossing New Leaf

Super Mario 3D Land

Mario Party (if anyone has either/both games Star Rush / Island tour is there any differences between the 2?)

Close between Pokemon and Super Mario 3D Land for me; I preferred Mario and would highly recommend it, but most of my issues with Pokemon are the result of being a fan of the older games and not liking the changes, so they probably wouldn't impact a new player. Pokemon will probably give you the most hours of entertainment for your money, too.

Can't comment on the others, haven't played them.
If you're interested in Animal Crossing go for the new 'Welcome amiibo' edition they released in November. :smile:

I've gotten way more hours out of ACNL than I have out of any Pokémon game, but I love both franchises. ACNL is more casual and never-ending while Sun & Moon actually has a story and can be completed. I'd say it depends more on what type of game it is you want to play right now as both are worth a buy.

Definitely steer clear of Mario Party. Those games have gone so downhill.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Athena64
I would say that the Mario Party games for the 3DS are not worth your time or money.

The other options, however, are very good. I'd say Pokemon Sun or Moon is best. There's minor differences between the two, and the only difference really is that some Pokemon are only available in one game. However, you can trade to get the Pokemon that you can only get in the other game with someone who has it, so it's not that troublesome. And, Pokemon Sun takes place in real time, whereas Moon will take place in the opposite time (when it is day in your time, it will be night in the game), I think because it's the Moon/night version and it assumes you'll be playing at the day it wants you to feel the night while playing. The real deciding factor are the Pokemon in the cover art. Which one do you like better?

They also do a great job at introducing the world of Pokemon, so it doesn't matter if you haven't played one before. It's a beautiful world and such a wonderful game and story and lively characters!

Super Mario 3D Land is a good game, and I would recommend it, but not as much as Pokemon Sun and Moon because it doesn't have as much replay value as Pokemon does. I got bored of Animal Crossing: New Leaf pretty quickly, though, but if you like reality sims I guess you won't.

So, to rank your list:
1. Pokemon Sun/Moon
2. Super Mario 3D Land
3. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
4. Mario Party

I'd recommend other games too, I love The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, and as it is a Select, it means it's relatively cheap too (meant to be £15, but can be cheaper if you're lucky), and the other Selects I think are good is The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (a breath-taking game that is fun to explore and simply charming and it is sooo much fun to play) and Star Fox 64 3D.

Kid Icarus: Uprising is well worth checking out as well, a charming and fun game with awesome characters and funny dialogue. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is pretty cool too, as are the Kirby games.

I quite liked the front case design of Pokemon Moon! I've never played Pokemon at all before (well apart from Pokemon Go...)

I'll take a look at the other ones you've suggested as well

Is Animal crossing a little similar to Sims Freeplay? I play Sims Freeplay on & off but sometimes I get bored of it a little and leave the Sims (think they're currently abandoned...:colone::biggrin:but I get LP's for that if I leave them long enough...

Animal Crossing New Leaf

Super Mario 3D Land

I can't decide, what do you think of these games if you've played them?
also since they're so expensive £30+ I can't buy them all at once...:frown::smile:unfortunately

(also never played any Pokemon games or no knowledge of the Pokemon world, but I've played 1 or 2 Mario games in my time & enjoyed them :smile:)

thank you:smile::smile:

Hey. I'd argue against Party for one, I have Star Rush and I don't enjoy it as much as the other entries in the franchise. My vote would be Pokemon@
Original post by Kholmes1
Pokemon Sun and Moon.

They are very good games. I haven't been a fan of the new games (From Black and white to now. This is for the main series so not including the spin off ones. As they are very good.)

It comes in my top 3 pokemon main series games along withh Platinum and soul silver. Moon is probably second after Platinum. Its probably the best story from the main series of games. Very good game. I have over 60 hours on it. The other pokemon games like Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon Ranger are also very good.

I will have a research of those:smile: do pokemon games normally come out in 2 games then? Moon/Sun, black/white?

Original post by lyfishard
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance

Original post by AngryJellyfish
Close between Pokemon and Super Mario 3D Land for me; I preferred Mario and would highly recommend it, but most of my issues with Pokemon are the result of being a fan of the older games and not liking the changes, so they probably wouldn't impact a new player. Pokemon will probably give you the most hours of entertainment for your money, too.

Can't comment on the others, haven't played them.

Thanks - what is the 3D feature like on Mario 3D Land like?
I'm leaning towards either Super mario / Pokemon I think...

Original post by sinfonietta
If you're interested in Animal Crossing go for the new 'Welcome amiibo' edition they released in November. :smile:

I've gotten way more hours out of ACNL than I have out of any Pokémon game, but I love both franchises. ACNL is more casual and never-ending while Sun & Moon actually has a story and can be completed. I'd say it depends more on what type of game it is you want to play right now as both are worth a buy.

Definitely steer clear of Mario Party. Those games have gone so downhill.

thanks, is there a difference between the Welcome version & New Leaf version - I wasn't sure:smile:
thanks, is there a difference between the Welcome version & New Leaf version - I wasn't sure:smile:

It's just the most up-to-date release of the game. :smile: The new features were also added as a download on the Nintendo eShop for existing owner's of the game, but it makes sense given that the cost of Nintendo games don't really go down to just get the newest one.
Original post by TitanCream
Hey. I'd argue against Party for one, I have Star Rush and I don't enjoy it as much as the other entries in the franchise. My vote would be Pokemon@

thanks - do you know if it is similar to the previous nintendo ds lite game- the one with the board games & minigames - is the new one similar? though I found the ds one was easy regarding most of the minigames (beat all the staffs high scores easy)
I will have a research of those:smile: do pokemon games normally come out in 2 games then? Moon/Sun, black/white?

Yep, ever since the debut titles on GameBoy (Pokemon Blue and Red). :yes: It's a good way by Nintendo of convincing people to trade and make it more of a multiplayer experience... or alternatively buy two copies of what is pretty much the same game, though that's not necessary unless you're a hardcore collector! :p:

Thanks - what is the 3D feature like on Mario 3D Land like?

Not compulsory for the most part, is all I can say (I usually play with the 3D off since it messes up my eyes). Having it on helped for one or two levels, though.
Original post by sinfonietta
It's just the most up-to-date release of the game. :smile: The new features were also added as a download on the Nintendo eShop for existing owner's of the game, but it makes sense given that the cost of Nintendo games don't really go down to just get the newest one.

thx:smile:
no they don't unfortunately - £30+:frown: so the new features are on the Welcome version then? :smile:
thx:smile:
no they don't unfortunately - £30+:frown: so the new features are on the Welcome version then? :smile:

Yeah they should be included on the cartridge instead of needing to download them. :smile: The game also comes with an amiibo card from the new Welcome amiibo series.
: pokemon Sun/Moon has no gyms
(edited 7 years ago)
thanks - do you know if it is similar to the previous nintendo ds lite game- the one with the board games & minigames - is the new one similar? though I found the ds one was easy regarding most of the minigames (beat all the staffs high scores easy)

Sadly not. Thats what disappointed me, the boardgames are confusing and not as fun ::;l
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Yep, ever since the debut titles on GameBoy (Pokemon Blue and Red). :yes: It's a good way by Nintendo of convincing people to trade and make it more of a multiplayer experience... or alternatively buy two copies of what is pretty much the same game, though that's not necessary unless you're a hardcore collector! :p:

interesting :smile:- I think I'll save up for just 1 version - I could buy 2 games instead :yes:

Not compulsory for the most part, is all I can say (I usually play with the 3D off since it messes up my eyes). Having it on helped for one or two levels, though.

Same here - I'd use it if my games were 3d - still playing ye' olde nintendo games on 3ds:smile: interesting the 3D helped you complete a level though
Highly recommended Yokai watch. I'm addicted to it

I quite liked the front case design of Pokemon Moon! I've never played Pokemon at all before (well apart from Pokemon Go...)

I'll take a look at the other ones you've suggested as well

Is Animal crossing a little similar to Sims Freeplay? I play Sims Freeplay on & off but sometimes I get bored of it a little and leave the Sims (think they're currently abandoned...:colone::biggrin:but I get LP's for that if I leave them long enough...

It's never too late to start. If you already like Mario, I think you should go for Pokemon since it'll be a new experience, you can buy 3D Land later. Pokemon S&M are easily one of the best games this year, and on the 3DS. The levels in 3D Land are very short, but there are a lot, but I don't feel as if it's brought as much new to the table. It is still a great game, though. And sure, go for Moon! I have Sun, so I can trade you for the exclusive Pokemon so you can collect them all! But, you actually don't have to. The fun thing with Pokemon is that you can play it how you want to, by training up your Pokemon or by collecting them all, and if you like battling you can do a lot of that too.

I'm not sure how to describe AC:NL. You basically move into a town and via hijinx you become the mayor so that you can put in new decorations and stuff around the town. It's inhabited by animal villagers who you can talk too, and they have interesting personalities and you can do chores for them. You can catch bugs, fish and decorate yourself and your house. Here's the trailer:

[video="youtube;z09iRo44Mcs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z09iRo44Mcs[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest