The Student Room Group

Art + technology

Hello! I will be going to uni next year, but I am still very unsure about what specific art field to pursue a career in.
I want to study a course that combines art (traditional/digital) and technology. Big emphasis on a field that is, or will be, in high demand, and has a higher chance of being financially fulfilling. Animation, UI design are some examples but please give me more suggestions if you can! It will be so helpful.
Original post by mimi287
Hello! I will be going to uni next year, but I am still very unsure about what specific art field to pursue a career in.
I want to study a course that combines art (traditional/digital) and technology. Big emphasis on a field that is, or will be, in high demand, and has a higher chance of being financially fulfilling. Animation, UI design are some examples but please give me more suggestions if you can! It will be so helpful.

Hi Mimi,

Animation and UI Design are some really great starting points, we also offer a course called Fashion Communication that combines photography and adobe skills, marketing techniques and deeply explores emerging technologies like AI tools and things like NFTs too. Students on that course tend to have a very commercial approach to the world of work and have a high industry employment rate upon graduation too.

Just an idea of something a bit different. Good luck with your choices, it sounds like you have an exciting pathway ahead of you!

Jenny
Arts University Plymouth Rep

http://aup.ac.uk/clearing
💻 Email us at [email protected]
☎️ Call us on 01752 203402⁠
📱 Whatsapp us at 07722 744184⁠
Original post by mimi287

Sounds like you’re looking for something like this: https://aub.ac.uk/course/creative-technologies
Reply 3
If you go the animation route and want to be earning money then look into learning the technical aspects of 3D Animation, VFX or Games Art. Technical Director (TD) or Technical Artists are the job roles to look for. They mix coding skills with artistic skills, and there is always demand for them in industry because very few courses teach both areas. Specific roles you might want to look at in Animation / VFX are Simulation (pyro, cloth, groom / fur), Rigging, Shader Writing / LookDev, Tools Programming. In Games it would be worth knowing how to create tools to help the artists in a team, and also work on blueprints / coding for game interaction / UI, gameplay features, cinematics, realtime shaders, rigging, realtime FX etc. Other areas that are 'big' at the moment are VR and AR, so you might want to look at those. I'll mention a blatant plug here for the 3D Animation & VFX degree and the 3D Games Art & Design degrees at Hertfordshire because we teach art and technology, but if you want a more general creative (non animation / games) area you might want to look into App Design or UX design - again areas that are in high demand in industry. Make sure you enjoy coding if you go in these sorts of directions! Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest