The Student Room Group

How can I overcome Aspergers Syndrome?

In my view, I have recently had some bad news. I have been told I have Aspersgers Syndrome. Although this means that I am very academically capable, it also explains my social deficiencies.

It means though that I have lost hope of ever making friends, as I will always be socially deficient, and lonely.

When I was younger, I used to care for a relative who was very unwell. Other people would spit in my face, and call me mean names. I was only 12 at the time.

I held back during sixth form, and at school because of this, mainly through choice. However, now that I am at University, and want to make nice friends, I cannot, as I have realised that naturally, my aspergers always makes me socially deficient.

I thought that I would make friends, now, I realise that I cant.

How can I, if possible, overcome this?
You can't. You just need to learn to live with it.
Reply 2
It is not possible, I'm afraid. You need to learn to accept your diagnosis, and that just because you have such a diagnosis that doesn't mean it can hold you back in life. It's all about management.
Reply 3
You cannot. Live with it, and avoid people if needed.
Original post by 23ojrfyb
You cannot. Live with it, and avoid people if needed.

I don't want to be a loner for the rest of my life. I am a fat, ugly moron, but I will never be a loner.
Original post by Tiger Rag
You can't. You just need to learn to live with it.

Original post by Airmed
It is not possible, I'm afraid. You need to learn to accept your diagnosis, and that just because you have such a diagnosis that doesn't mean it can hold you back in life. It's all about management.

It means that I will always be lonely though.
Reply 6
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar

Yes. Very much so.
You can still make friends. Just non-judgmental ones :smile:

my little sister was diagnosed a couple of months ago, she's 7 so doesnt necessarily know what it means to her yet, i also have a step brother whose nearly 17 with aspergers, both have found ways to make friends somehow. I think you need to come to terms with it first before you can work on managing it better.
It doesn't mean you can't make friends!
There are many people who have Aspergers Syndrome and live a fairly ( sometimes completely ) normal life and have friends.
It all depends on how you react to the diagnosis, some struggle a lot and some just accept it and try their best in their situation.
I'm sure there are support groups for it too if you look into it. Might be beneficial for you having a new diagnosis.
You may struggle socially but that doesn't mean you can't work on it over time and improve.
monky see monky do do you understand act how you see other people at may help
In my view, I have recently had some bad news. I have been told I have Aspersgers Syndrome. Although this means that I am very academically capable, it also explains my social deficiencies.

It means though that I have lost hope of ever making friends, as I will always be socially deficient, and lonely.

When I was younger, I used to care for a relative who was very unwell. Other people would spit in my face, and call me mean names. I was only 12 at the time.

I held back during sixth form, and at school because of this, mainly through choice. However, now that I am at University, and want to make nice friends, I cannot, as I have realised that naturally, my aspergers always makes me socially deficient.

I thought that I would make friends, now, I realise that I cant.

How can I, if possible, overcome this?
First thing to do is stop being so damnably negative. Loads of people have AS. I have AS and a ****ton of SLDs as well. Just use your weirdness and be yourself.
Hey. I disagree with all of the above posters.The fact that you do not want to be lonely in the first place is a good start. Where there's a will there's a way!

I would: 1) try to remember that it is not your fault, it is a personal challenge, and it is very brave of you to want to overcome it.
2) try to interact with whoever you have the opportunity to interact with- be it your family, lecturer, your neighbour in halls etc. It will be terrifying and you'll make mistakes, but you'll slowly get better at it, and will be less afraid of making mistakes, which in turn will reduce your social anxiety and help you do better at social interactions.

On a different note, I recommend reading 'The Rosie Project' if you have the time. It is about a professor with Asperger's- it is incredibly funny and heart-warming, and I identified with MANY of his characteristics, despite never being diagnosed with Asperger's or having difficulty making friends etc :wink:
Quite frankly, you should be grateful that you're not in the situation that some people are in - ie, the ones that can't talk and have severe behaviour difficulties. You're also lucky that you're able to manage at uni. I've attempted twice (including OU) and struggled a lot both times.

You'll only be lonely if you don't make the effort.

Quick Reply

Latest