The Student Room Group

A level options

Should I pick psychology or sociology as an A level option? In Wales they've just made Welsh Bacc complusory so I cant pick 4 options unless I want to do 5 A levels and have no frees! Would I survive with no frees?
I want to be either a nurse or a midwife and I was wondering what options would be the best ones to pick?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Vickyslug
Should I pick physcology or sociology as an A level option?

Pick the one that interests you more. Look at the syllabus and see what you will learn, otherwise if you aren't interested it'll be much more difficult to learn it and you'll despise it.
Reply 2
I chose sociology and loved it! It was personal preference and from what I heard psychology has excessive amounts to learn. I would look at the syllabus see what you prefer. 😁
Reply 3
Psychology.

I got A in both psychology and sociology at AS. Both are very interesting. However, psychology is very logical, simple, and clear-cut, while sociology is confusing and unclear.

In contrary to what another posted said, I believe psychology has WAY LESS things to learn than sociology. I just memorised the theory (which you will learn by heart in class even if you do a minimum amount of work since it is very easy) and the amount of examples I needed (which was less than half the examples in my book), then adapted my answer to the question. So, a debate essay asking something like 'Drug therapy is the most effective way of treating mental disorders. Discuss' or '"The biological approach has been shown to be very effective in treating mental disorders." In relation to the quote, analyse the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement' would use the SAME examples, just with a different introduction and conclusion and with a slightly altered analysis and link. The most marks a question carries is 20 (at least for WJEC Eduqas, there is a single 20 marks question and everything is worth much less than that) and requires just four paragraphs in a PEEL format, so it is extremely easy. Every single other question is even more simple, so you will have no trouble doing well in psychology. I also found psychology to be very logical, so it is not hard to comprehend.

As for how I got A in sociology... I have no idea. I would tell you, but the essay structure was so confusing I never understood it. My teacher told me to write six PSEEL paragraphs (point, sociological idea, example, evaluation, link - even though the point and sociological idea or the sociological idea and the example frequently overlapped so much you could not tell the difference), but I never understood how to do that so I just did what I knew. There are more questions which carry a huge amount of marks in sociology and thanks to the PSEEL format you would need to learn at least two examples per paragraph (which means you will need like 12 examples per essay, at least, while in psychology you only need 6, out of which 2 are briefly mentioned in the introduction), so I would say it is not worth it. Also, at A2, sociology essays can carry up to 40(!!) marks, so unless you want to be doomed to having to remember a huge amount of material just so you can pass, I would not recommend it.

Also, universities prefer psychology to sociology. If you are a humanities/social science subject, psychology is useful to show breadth since it is a science (a soft one, but still a science).

In conclusion, I recommend you take psychology.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Michiyo
Psychology.

I got A in both psychology and sociology at AS. Both are very interesting. However, psychology is very logical, simple, and clear-cut, while sociology is confusing and unclear.

In contrary to what another posted said, I believe psychology has WAY LESS things to learn than sociology. I just memorised the theory (which you will learn by heart in class even if you do a minimum amount of work since it is very easy) and the amount of examples I needed (which was less than half the examples in my book), then adapted my answer to the question. So, a debate essay asking something like 'Drug therapy is the most effective way of treating mental disorders. Discuss' or '"The biological approach has been shown to be very effective in treating mental disorders." In relation to the quote, analyse the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement' would use the SAME examples, just with a different introduction and conclusion and with a slightly altered analysis and link. The most marks a question carries is 20 (at least for WJEC Eduqas, there is a single 20 marks question and everything is worth much less than that) and requires just four paragraphs in a PEEL format, so it is extremely easy. Every single other question is even more simple, so you will have no trouble doing well in psychology. I also found psychology to be very logical, so it is not hard to comprehend.

As for how I got A in sociology... I have no idea. I would tell you, but the essay structure was so confusing I never understood it. My teacher told me to write six PSEEL paragraphs (point, sociological idea, example, evaluation, link - even though the point and sociological idea or the sociological idea and the example frequently overlapped so much you could not tell the difference), but I never understood how to do that so I just did what I knew. There are more questions which carry a huge amount of marks in sociology and thanks to the PSEEL format you would need to learn at least two examples per paragraph (which means you will need like 12 examples per essay, at least, while in psychology you only need 6, out of which 2 are briefly mentioned in the introduction), so I would say it is not worth it. Also, at A2, sociology essays can carry up to 40(!!) marks, so unless you want to be doomed to having to remember a huge amount of material just so you can pass, I would not recommend it.

Also, universities prefer psychology to sociology. If you are a humanities/social science subject, psychology is useful to show breadth since it is a science (a soft one, but still a science).

In conclusion, I recommend you take psychology.

Thank you for your in-depth response, I am going to take your views in mind when I make a decision. 😊

Quick Reply

Latest