The Student Room Group

Double Major : Management and Marketing

Hi!

Are Management and Marketing good majors to take?

I'm entering my first semester for Degree next month. The university I am studying has a lot of students taking accounting and finance, even my friends are in there. Recently, I did a bit of research on my major in my country compared to the Acc/Fin jobs. I found out through a survey and jobstreet in my country Marketing/Management jobs are kind of low pay while the Acc/Fin jobs are high paying in my country. So what I am trying to say is, am I able to find a job with my degree that will provide a stable income/high income that enough to support myself/family in the future just like the Acc/Fin students? I don't come from a well off family and parents expect me to support/care for them when I have a job while not allowing me going overseas for a better job as the reason being the only child makes me even stressful. I still have a semester for to change course as for semester one we will all studying the same thing. I am kind of bombarded with a lot of other responsibilities as my parents are closing onto retirement age.

Please enlighten me, any advice from experienced people/current students would really be appreciated! I really like the major I am taking it's just the pay is not what I expected. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kenny1999
Hi!

Are Management and Marketing good majors to take?

I'm entering my first semester for Degree next month. The university I am studying has a lot of students taking accounting and finance, even my friends are in there. Recently, I did a bit of research on my major in my country compared to the Acc/Fin jobs. I found out through a survey and jobstreet in my country Marketing/Management jobs are kind of low pay while the Acc/Fin jobs are high paying in my country. So what I am trying to say is, am I able to find a job with my degree that will provide a stable income/high income that enough to support myself/family in the future just like the Acc/Fin students? I don't come from a well off family and parents expect me to support/care for them when I have a job while not allowing me going overseas for a better job as the reason being the only child makes me even stressful. I still have a semester for to change course as for semester one we will all studying the same thing. I am kind of bombarded with a lot of other responsibilities as my parents are closing onto retirement age.

Please enlighten me, any advice from experienced people/current students would really be appreciated! I really like the major I am taking it's just the pay is not what I expected. :smile:

Hi,

I’m a first year marketing student at the University of Derby, so I would of course recommend marketing! Although accounting/finance jobs may pay more, it’s more important to choose a career you know you will enjoy. I enjoy the creativity of marketing, which I imagine there isn’t much of in accounting and finance. You don’t want to study a degree you’re not going to enjoy as then you’re either going to end up dropping out from not enjoying it or get stuck in a career you don’t enjoy. If you have a passion for management and marketing then pursue this, and if you really enjoy then you’re more likely to succeed.

Hope this helps,

Molly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending