Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Are Management and Marketing good majors to take?

I'm entering my first semester for Degree next month. The university I am studying has a lot of students taking accounting and finance, even my friends are in there. Recently, I did a bit of research on my major in my country compared to the Acc/Fin jobs. I found out through a survey and jobstreet in my country Marketing/Management jobs are kind of low pay while the Acc/Fin jobs are high paying in my country. So what I am trying to say is, am I able to find a job with my degree that will provide a stable income/high income that enough to support myself/family in the future just like the Acc/Fin students? I don't come from a well off family and parents expect me to support/care for them when I have a job while not allowing me going overseas for a better job as the reason being the only child makes me even stressful. I still have a semester for to change course as for semester one we will all studying the same thing. I am kind of bombarded with a lot of other responsibilities as my parents are closing onto retirement age.

Please enlighten me, any advice from experienced people/current students would really be appreciated! I really like the major I am taking it's just the pay is not what I expected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenny1999)
    Hi!

Are Management and Marketing good majors to take?

I'm entering my first semester for Degree next month. The university I am studying has a lot of students taking accounting and finance, even my friends are in there. Recently, I did a bit of research on my major in my country compared to the Acc/Fin jobs. I found out through a survey and jobstreet in my country Marketing/Management jobs are kind of low pay while the Acc/Fin jobs are high paying in my country. So what I am trying to say is, am I able to find a job with my degree that will provide a stable income/high income that enough to support myself/family in the future just like the Acc/Fin students? I don't come from a well off family and parents expect me to support/care for them when I have a job while not allowing me going overseas for a better job as the reason being the only child makes me even stressful. I still have a semester for to change course as for semester one we will all studying the same thing. I am kind of bombarded with a lot of other responsibilities as my parents are closing onto retirement age.

Please enlighten me, any advice from experienced people/current students would really be appreciated! I really like the major I am taking it's just the pay is not what I expected.

Hi,

I’m a first year marketing student at the University of Derby, so I would of course recommend marketing! Although accounting/finance jobs may pay more, it’s more important to choose a career you know you will enjoy. I enjoy the creativity of marketing, which I imagine there isn’t much of in accounting and finance. You don’t want to study a degree you’re not going to enjoy as then you’re either going to end up dropping out from not enjoying it or get stuck in a career you don’t enjoy. If you have a passion for management and marketing then pursue this, and if you really enjoy then you’re more likely to succeed.

Hope this helps,

Molly

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.